Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Random Gadgets

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I am a bit of a gadget addict. I'm quite obsessed (even in the internet age) of what be received via the traditional air waves.

It started with short wave radios back in the day, then moved onto DAB. I have many dab radios, four (now working) of which are portable. Over the years I've bought them all.

It's extended to freeview, I've had the PC sticks etc... at the start of lock down down beaming Freeview around the house via Wifi just because I was bored. I even sourced a "plug in version" that is basically a three pin plug with an aerial socket.
You plug the aerial into it and it beams DAVE round the house to be picked up on a mobile or tablet.

The most obscure thing I have is a portable freeview receiver / transmitter which is the size of a match box. I take it up to the common, extend the small aerial and watch telly on my tablet.

Has anyone got any other gadget additions in a particular area ?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I recently purchased a high powered, palm sized gizmo that performs millions of tasks.

Best of all, you type in a certain no, eg. 7100553, flip it 180° and it spells Esso Oil. Cop that.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’m a total sucker for kitchen gadgets.

Italian professional pizza oven - check
3 different air fryer/ovens - check
Gas hob - check
Induction hob - check
Spare induction hob (for Christmas/large dinner party) - check
3 electric ovens - check
2 gas ovens - check
Vacuum chamber - check
Sous vide machine - check
3 blocks of kitchen knives - check
14 wooden spoons (some of which haven’t yet been used) - check
7 spatulas (various sizes, various dimensions) - check

The list is pretty much endless.

I like to pretend it’s all got a specific purpose (‘that particular air oven? That’s for roasting a whole chicken - it’s got a spit. That one? That’s for a 2kg+ chicken; the other one is just a bit too small), but really it’s because I just love kitchen gadgets.

I recently purchased a high powered, palm sized gizmo that performs millions of tasks.

Best of all, you type in a certain no, eg. 7100553, flip it 180° and it spells Esso Oil. Cop that.

I used to have something similar that spelt "shell oil" - remarkable.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

:thumbsup:

I’ve got one where if you type 71077345 it spells Shell Oil. 58008 gives you Boobs.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I got into Raspberry Pi machines a few years back, I had 4 on the go at one point including one with a high quality DAC streaming FLAC files to a hifi, one for ad blocking attached to my router and another as a media centre for the TV before the days of smart TVs.

Now they mainly sit in a drawer in the desk.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Going back to 1984 when I moved to Mallorca there was no such thing as the internet and satellite TV was just being born. Phoning home cost a lot of money. Short Wave was my way of listening to football via the BBC World Service. I got into Satellite in a big way and designed and built my first set up to scan the sky. First thing I picked up live was a golf tournament taking place 2 miles down the road!! But from small beginnings I started installing 1.5 metre dishes on many bars pre-tuned to all the football feeds. In those days there were no scrambled signals and everything was free to watch. A feed on a satellite at 7 degrees east had all games live.
I would spend hours scanning the horizon for new feeds and got to recognise football stadiums prior to matches.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I’m a total sucker for kitchen gadgets.

Italian professional pizza oven - check
3 different air fryer/ovens - check
Gas hob - check
Induction hob - check
Spare induction hob (for Christmas/large dinner party) - check
3 electric ovens - check
2 gas ovens - check
Vacuum chamber - check
Sous vide machine - check
3 blocks of kitchen knives - check
14 wooden spoons (some of which haven’t yet been used) - check
7 spatulas (various sizes, various dimensions) - check

The list is pretty much endless.

I like to pretend it’s all got a specific purpose (‘that particular air oven? That’s for roasting a whole chicken - it’s got a spit. That one? That’s for a 2kg+ chicken; the other one is just a bit too small), but really it’s because I just love kitchen gadgets.

Morning Mr Trebus :wave:

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I wouldn't be without my pickle jar opener , whoever invented it I salute you .

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
We've got this little gizmo which shaves(?) clothes to get all of the bobbly bits off. It's really good!

Also just smart home stuff in general. Talking to your phone or watch and lights going on and off will never get old!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My current favourite is a £26 bluetooth car battery monitor. Useful over the winter to be able to check the state of the battery from your phone and avoid being stranded by a flat battery. Took all of five minutes to connect and set up to my phone. Five minutes is the NSC benchmark for jobs, no?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...p/B074ZCM6YC&usg=AOvVaw2xAlymYxo-2iecA7Polczx

I'm not into gadgets, still use valve amplifiers, vinyl, carburetors, points and condensers.

BUT, tell me more . . . . part of my Alfa 'initiation' was a low battery warning last weekend and needing a jump start.

The first time EVER, I've had to call the RAC. . . . and thats from someone who drives/rides thousands of miles on 50+ year old vehicles regularly.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I bought a device called a "Tip Top Temp" which fits over the damper wheel on top of my Weber kettle BBQ. It has a bimetallic spring controlled butterfly valve which is adjustable. It controls the airflow through the BBQ by opening and closing as it heats and cools, therefore maintaining a constant temperature, which in turns allows you to cook "low 'n' slow" brisket, pulled pork etc. It ran overnight for me a couple of weeks ago, 14 hours in total, with no more than a +/- 20°C temperature fluctuation keeping it around 100°. Then, after the stall I adjusted the control to take it up to around 150° for the last hour. The best £40 I've spent on a gadget in a long time, totally analogue, brilliant idea. You can get them for other BBQs, Pro-Q, Big Green Egg, in fact any Kamado type BBQ etc.

Capture.JPG

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not into gadgets, still use valve amplifiers, vinyl, carburetors, points and condensers.

BUT, tell me more . . . . part of my Alfa 'initiation' was a low battery warning last weekend and needing a jump start.

The first time EVER, I've had to call the RAC. . . . and thats from someone who drives/rides thousands of miles on 50+ year old vehicles regularly.

Don’t think you have to signed up to Alfaowner to be able to read this!

https://www.alfaowner.com/threads/battery-replacement.1190455/

https://www.alfaowner.com/threads/battery-drain-in-a-veloce.1165821/

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I got into Raspberry Pi machines a few years back, I had 4 on the go at one point including one with a high quality DAC streaming FLAC files to a hifi, one for ad blocking attached to my router and another as a media centre for the TV before the days of smart TVs.

Now they mainly sit in a drawer in the desk.

I have several Pis around the house doing things like file/media/printer server, 433mhz switch controller, remote timelapse camera, sandbox, solar panel monitor. Great little things.

I'm also a bit of a torch addict; I have dozens of them, from tiny keychain lights to coke-tin sized monsters that can light up the whole garden.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I think you might be thinking about getting a battery monitor yourself now? :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here