Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Sky Q box sound drop outs

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Quite often on playback . Engineer coming out Monday ,think the brightness has gone on the TV . 11 years of paying insurance ,if it can't be fixed a new TV to equvilant standard.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Quite often on playback . Engineer coming out Monday ,think the brightness has gone on the TV . 11 years of paying insurance ,if it can't be fixed a new TV to equvilant standard.

TV's these days are bombproof, at least the semi-decent makes are, which is why I've not bothered with any kind of warranty now for years. My 43" Panasonic LED is still going strong after 7-8 years, recently retired upstairs after I splashed out on a 60" LG LED last November for the main one.

Surely that 11 years worth of insurance could've covered a very large chunk of the cost of a new fangled model.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
TV's these days are bombproof, at least the semi-decent makes are, which is why I've not bothered with any kind of warranty now for years. My 43" Panasonic LED is still going strong after 7-8 years, recently retired upstairs after I splashed out on a 60" LG LED last November for the main one.

Surely that 11 years worth of insurance could've covered a very large chunk of the cost of a new fangled model.

I know mate ,i don't think there's anything wrong with it . Probably bought 2 tv 's on the insurance . whatever happens it's getting cancelled :thumbsup:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ever since I ‘upgraded’ to Sky Q I’ve regretted it. The box constantly loses or forgets it’s WiFi network and doesn’t appear to work on 3rd party wireless network. I also have an issue with the sound bar dropping out intermittently and I have to cycle the AV inputs to get it back.

Really regret getting it, as apart from the lack of ability to record 2 things and watch something else the previous box was much better

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ever since I ‘upgraded’ to Sky Q I’ve regretted it. The box constantly loses or forgets it’s WiFi network and doesn’t appear to work on 3rd party wireless network. I also have an issue with the sound bar dropping out intermittently and I have to cycle the AV inputs to get it back.

Really regret getting it, as apart from the lack of ability to record 2 things and watch something else the previous box was much better

This. Never had any issues with cabled Sky but Q is prone to losing either ‘network’ or ‘signal’. Usually easily solved by resetting boxes or the router but a pain in the arse. Wouldn’t have switched if I’d known

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
This. Never had any issues with cabled Sky but Q is prone to losing either ‘network’ or ‘signal’. Usually easily solved by resetting boxes or the router but a pain in the arse. Wouldn’t have switched if I’d known

If your main Sky Q box is near enough to your router I’d recommend connecting via Ethernet than just using Wi-fi. I’ve had no internet connection issues since I went down this route.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If your main Sky Q box is near enough to your router I’d recommend connecting via Ethernet than just using Wi-fi. I’ve had no internet connection issues since I went down this route.

Been tempted with this, means drilling a hole through a wall but it’s not far so might do it......it’s not the main box that’s the issue, it’s the other three

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Been tempted with this, means drilling a hole through a wall but it’s not far so might do it......it’s not the main box that’s the issue, it’s the other three

Edited as I was wrong.

I stand corrected, I’ve just checked my daughters and they do have Ethernet I’ve never noticed that before. Maybe some Ethernet power line adapters might be a help?

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There is no way round the other boxes as they are wi-if only. I believe they actually work independently of your normal wireless network and create their own hidden network to communicate with the main box, so something like Wi-fi boosters wouldn’t necessarily work. The main problems will be how far away from the main box they are and if there is anything else around that may interfere with the signal. We’ve only got one extra box in my daughters room and it seems fairly stable connection wise, but my daughter regularly reboots it as she unplugs it for her hairdryer or laptop.

I stand corrected they do have Ethernet I’ve never noticed that before.

From what I understand they basically work on a LAN .....so I guess improving the signal to the main box (by connecting with an ethernet cable) would improve things. I’m going to speak to Sky first though

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
From what I understand they basically work on a LAN .....so I guess improving the signal to the main box (by connecting with an ethernet cable) would improve things. I’m going to speak to Sky first though

Sky told me today its a known problem on some Q boxes they are working on it and hope to release a software update soon,.

Thats all they know.........so its probably nothing to do with wifi or Ethernet.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sky told me today its a known problem on some Q boxes they are working on it and hope to release a software update soon,.

Thats all they know.........so its probably nothing to do with wifi or Ethernet.

Spoke to them a couple of days ago..........’Martin’ (odd name for someone with a bit of an accent:)) told me it must be the wifi signal so recommended a booster, which they have sent. Will give it a go and see what happens.......at least initially the wifi speed in the rooms with the miniboxes is a lot faster.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
No drop outs on any channel since they replaced the box on Thursday
The tech checked all the WiFi signals and the LNB signals and then confirmed there is a firmware problem.

If you are suffering drop outs push Sky for a replacement box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here