Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lawrenson Bissouma comparisons.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Except that Bissouma is a midfielder, Lawro was a CB (although we did occasionally play him in midfield, similar to the way we've sometimes used White this season).

Goal scoring ability pretty similar though!

You know exactly what I meant you naughty boy, Biss is our prized asset as was Lawro in 1981, but you can only sell an asset once, so its all about timing.:)

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Wasn't Jimmy Case part of the deal. Was it £900k plus Case or Case plus cash upto the value of £900k. I can't ever recall any value being put on Case as part of the deal.

Case was all set to go to West Ham, it was only when Paisley mentioned this to Bamber and Bailey that they went after Jimmy.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
We paid £100,000 for Lawro in the summer of 1977, and sold him for £900,000 in the summer of 1981, I did get the sums right didn't I? :)
I remember vividly for some reason the day they sold him as they interviewed him on the pitch at The Goldstone and some brickies were doing some work on the South East corner and they were shouting out "Don't Go Mark "

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You know exactly what I meant you naughty boy, Biss is our prized asset as was Lawro in 1981, but you can only sell an asset once, so its all about timing.:)

The difference this time is that we have younger players like White, Sanchez & Lamptey who may well turn out to be assets prized higher than Bissouma. Add that to a raft of other young players like Zeqiri, Connolly, Mac Allister, Moder, Karbownik, Khedra, Caicedo and Alzate and you're realise that we might not be investing in many new signings with the Bissouma loot at all. Maybe just a new left back, striker and keeper.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Did i read somewhere that Mullers negotiated a swap deal with United for Lawrenson with Kevin Moran and Ashley Grimes coming to us? Bamber vetoed it leading to Mullers leaving?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Did i read somewhere that Mullers negotiated a swap deal with United for Lawrenson with Kevin Moran and Ashley Grimes coming to us? Bamber vetoed it leading to Mullers leaving?

In Mullers book. When this madness is over and we all get back to the Amex you can borrow it from the Harty Library :)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Oh so you know for a fact that every top six club are interested do you? Even if that was true, that doesn't necessarily mean that they will agree to pay our valuation of him.

We are interested in lots of players over the course of a season, but that doesn't mean that we are going to bid for them all.

Ofcourse i dont know i am not his agent, but several newspaper reports and media outlets over an extended period are suggesting all the top 6 are interested
And i was suggesting that in my opinion as all 6 are interested we will get 40M.

Calm down sir.

I actually think he is worth more than 40M but in the current climate i think its an acceptable amount.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ofcourse i dont know i am not his agent, but several newspaper reports and media outlets over an extended period are suggesting all the top 6 are interested
And i was suggesting that in my opinion as all 6 are interested we will get 40M.

Calm down sir.

I actually think he is worth more than 40M but in the current climate i think its an acceptable amount.

Well l guess come the end of the August window, we will know!

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Alright, alright, I'll settle for £135M then.

And not a penny less.

As I said on the ' who will replace Bissouma when he is sold' thread, if we are to make progress we must keep him another season or two whilst his replacement is brought on. But, £135 million is about the amount that would change my mind.....

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
The difference this time is that we have younger players like White, Sanchez & Lamptey who may well turn out to be assets prized higher than Bissouma. Add that to a raft of other young players like Zeqiri, Connolly, Mac Allister, Moder, Karbownik, Khedra, Caicedo and Alzate and you're realise that we might not be investing in many new signings with the Bissouma loot at all. Maybe just a new left back, striker and keeper.

I do think Bissouma is special, and much much closer to Lawrenson in class than anyone else in the squad. It's his assured presence, time on the ball, superb passing and ability to tackle and win 'lost' balls back. Breath taking.

I agree Lamptey has the potential (needs to come back from the injury though), Sanchez is well on the way and White is looking promising, but Bissouma has made astounding progress in his two years with us. Not sure Connolly and Alzate are going to get anywhere near Bissouma class, and the others you mention are still too young to form a judgement. But exciting times indeed...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I do think Bissouma is special, and much much closer to Lawrenson in class than anyone else in the squad. It's his assured presence, time on the ball, superb passing and ability to tackle and win 'lost' balls back. Breath taking.

I agree Lamptey has the potential (needs to come back from the injury though), Sanchez is well on the way and White is looking promising, but Bissouma has made astounding progress in his two years with us. Not sure Connolly and Alzate are going to get anywhere near Bissouma class, and the others you mention are still too young to form a judgement. But exciting times indeed...
Except that many of the 'all the others' are about where Bissouma was two years ago. The law of averages means they won't all develop on to the same extent, but there's every reason to believe that some of them will. Happy days - and better than buying them in for £millions.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
I really don’t get people saying he isn’t ready. He’s been IMMENSE this year. I don’t think I’ve seen a better player in his position against us, and he’d improve every side in the league. He’s brilliant, and will play for a Champions League club (and do very well).

I agree with you, Jamie Carragher said during the Albion V Everton game words to the effect of, "not only was he the best player on the pitch, but he was head and shoulders above the quality of any of the other players", on the night it was difficult to disagree.

figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing
I think Webster and White bringing the ball out from the back are more like Lawrenson than Bissouma Ian.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Bissouma has been with us three seasons - joined in July 2018.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I really don’t get people saying he isn’t ready. He’s been IMMENSE this year. I don’t think I’ve seen a better player in his position against us, and he’d improve every side in the league. He’s brilliant, and will play for a Champions League club (and do very well).

Spot on. Not just every side in the league though, every side in Europe. As I said on another thread about him recently, incredibly he is still under rated by a number of Brighton fans.

People going on about his shooting and creating are totally missing the point.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Spot on. Not just every side in the league though, every side in Europe. As I said on another thread about him recently, incredibly he is still under rated by a number of Brighton fans.

People going on about his shooting and creating are totally missing the point.

I have a feeling Real Madrid and Barca are keeping an eye on him. He would fit into either of those sides.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I have a feeling Real Madrid and Barca are keeping an eye on him. He would fit into either of those sides.
I dont know why but i could see him in a Real shirt not so sure about Barca. For those thinking this is so far fetched........well they are wrong :glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here