Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Boris sends gunboats to defend Jersey'

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
And which side is Jersey siding with ? I knew you couldn't trust the Crapauds, they're practically french anyway

Oyster farmer: ‘It has been an absolute disgrace by our government’

JERSEY’S largest oyster producer says he stands side-by-side with aggrieved French fishermen and will even support a potential 'peaceful' port blockade – if it goes ahead.Chris Le Masurier, owner of the Jersey Oyster Company, described conditions placed upon the new post-Brexit fishing licences issued to Breton and Norman fishermen as ‘insulting and discriminatory’.

He said: ‘I will stand with them and take the Normandy Trader [boat] and be with them to take part in a peaceful protest. It has been an absolute disgrace by our government. ‘The government went out there and told them “don’t worry – as long as you have fished for ten days in 2017, 2018 or 2019 then you will be given a licence and can carry on”. But on Friday afternoon the licences were issued with all these conditions attached. It came to Monday morning and some could not go fishing.

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2021/05/05/oyster-farmer-it-has-been-an-absolute-disgrace-by-our-government/

And after all we did for them in WW2 ???

I fear Chris Le Mas may find himself unwelcome in the local pubs sometime soon...............

Harmyar

Mar 24, 2021
I agree with both of you to be honest. I must say, escalating tensions with our closest neighbour and one-time ally truly is yet another marvellous Brexit dividend I think we can all be proud of.
Escalating tensions? What would you have us do Mr Chamberlain?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
As regards the electricity thing. It's all baloney. There is a contract that runs for a good couple of years or so yet and the electricity won't be cut off. It's an errant minister shouting his mouth off.

A few years ago our current Home Secretary suggested blockading Ireland to get a Brexit deal. Weirdly the people so outraged about the French were remarkably less bothered about that.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Why can't our nation just f****** grow up.

The fact that Boris has calculated (correctly) that this will play well with the public says to me that our country is populated by jingoistic, exceptionalist idiots.

I want out

You could go to France who so far this year have threatened to cut off financial services, block life saving vaccines and threatened to turn off the electrical supply to a whole island :mad:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
None.

It was an exasperated dig at the right wing press stirring things up.

'Boris sends gunboats to defend Jersey' says it all.

BBC 'The fishing boats are at the entrance to the island's main port of St Helier, but they pulled away earlier to allow a freight vessel to leave'

They made it clear last night that it was not going to be a blockade and they were pissing off home this afternoon.

As regards the electricity thing. It's all baloney. There is a contract that runs for a good couple of years or so yet and the electricity won't be cut off. It's an errant minister shouting his mouth off.

I would imagine there is a protocol stating that if there are threats to blockade or similar then a response is triggered. It seems like a measured reaction to some pretty undiplomatic behaviour from the French. For them to send a vessel to accompany a group threatening to blockade a port of a foreign country is the real story here. The tabloid story is a bit crap and all it does is make the usual suspects fall into line in finding fault with the Government and Brexit. It’s all a bit Pavlovian.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Parachute regiment arriving with our glorious leader fronting the charge...

1 4l3DD8MbdimSzhkg8f_f_A.png

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
A few years ago our current Home Secretary suggested blockading Ireland to get a Brexit deal. Weirdly the people so outraged about the French were remarkably less bothered about that.

Except she didn’t. She suggested using the the effects of no deal on Ireland as leverage in the negotiations over the backstop. It didn’t happen and the UK accepted the backstop. Given that the EU were prepared to risk no deal when arguing for the backstop your accusation could equally be leveled at them, although that doesn’t quite fit the narrative.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
You might have believed there was an election today....

Exactly - When countries like China are imprisoning former UK Colony in Hong Kong he shits his pants

When Russia releases nerve gas to kill dissidents on British soil we shit our pants

But when countries like Argentina invade the Falklands or when a few French fishing boats catch a few extra fish we start sending sending gun boats all over the place. It's absolutely laughable.

Britain couldn't beat ''Sleep'' if it came to a fight - It's absolutely embarrassing to watch all this unfold

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here