Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Boris sends gunboats to defend Jersey'

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
He’s done an amazing job at pissing off both our fishermen and french fishermen. Who would have thought brexit would have resulted in this eh

An Ex RM whose family are fisherman (up north) voted for brexit based upon promises from Boris. He is to put it mildly not happy ... if Boris were to knock on his door today said RM would give him a very large slap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Why can't our nation just f****** grow up.

The fact that Boris has calculated (correctly) that this will play well with the public says to me that our country is populated by jingoistic, exceptionalist idiots.

I want out

It's not our nation that is blockading a port in a foreign country.

It's not our nation that has threatened to cut off the electricity supply to the island.

Perhaps the French should just f****** grow up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

The fact that Boris has calculated (correctly) that this will play well with the public says to me that our country is populated by jingoistic, exceptionalist idiots.

I want out

presumably the same calculation made by French minister, that escalated all this days ago. play it up for the gallery, nothing really solved.

all thats being asked for is some details on catches to get a licence. some French fishermen dont want to provide said details, so some licences not given. reaction is threaten to cut power and run a blockade? no one looks good here.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's not our nation that is blockading a port in a foreign country.

It's not our nation that has threatened to cut off the electricity supply to the island.

Perhaps the French should just f****** grow up.

Probably yes.

The fact that two supposedly civilised nations can't sort this out with dialogue and resort to cringeworthy sabre rattling is an embarrassment.

What should be happening is that the electorate of these countries should be telling the politicians in no uncertain terms that they expect them to resolve these issues like grown ups. The messages the politicians get is the opposite. Our nations have the politicians we deserve.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Will I be called up?

I have experience in the last time we went to war over fish as a fresh faced 16 year old sprog.

We lost.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I want out

presumably the same calculation made by French minister, that escalated all this days ago. play it up for the gallery, nothing really solved.

all thats being asked for is some details on catches to get a licence. some French fishermen dont want to provide said details, so some licences not given. reaction is threaten to cut power and run a blockade? no one looks good here.

I agree with both of you to be honest. I must say, escalating tensions with our closest neighbour and one-time ally truly is yet another marvellous Brexit dividend I think we can all be proud of.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
And which side is Jersey siding with ? I knew you couldn't trust the Crapauds, they're practically french anyway

Oyster farmer: ‘It has been an absolute disgrace by our government’

JERSEY’S largest oyster producer says he stands side-by-side with aggrieved French fishermen and will even support a potential 'peaceful' port blockade – if it goes ahead.Chris Le Masurier, owner of the Jersey Oyster Company, described conditions placed upon the new post-Brexit fishing licences issued to Breton and Norman fishermen as ‘insulting and discriminatory’.

He said: ‘I will stand with them and take the Normandy Trader [boat] and be with them to take part in a peaceful protest. It has been an absolute disgrace by our government. ‘The government went out there and told them “don’t worry – as long as you have fished for ten days in 2017, 2018 or 2019 then you will be given a licence and can carry on”. But on Friday afternoon the licences were issued with all these conditions attached. It came to Monday morning and some could not go fishing.

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2021/05/05/oyster-farmer-it-has-been-an-absolute-disgrace-by-our-government/

And after all we did for them in WW2 ???

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and we could do better than reguritating and getting taken in by the tabloid hyperbole. its more analogous to sending a couple of plods to watch over a demostration outside the townhall.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Boris Johnson assured the people of Hartlepool that on this fine election day there was no threat of a French invasion now as he had dealt swift action.

The locals assured him that the last Frenchman who tried it on was hung as a spy on the nearby beach.

Err, yeah, about that....

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
It's OK, backup's arrived...

5ab247c7dda4c87d088b4578.jpg

Harmyar

Mar 24, 2021

I fail to see how we are at fault at all and somehow 'don't look good'?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Spending a load of tax money to defend a tax haven, is it? Very on brand Tory that is.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
From the BBC article;
‘ The ships are routinely used for fisheries protection - with sailors able to board other boats for spot checks.’

So what’s the problem ?

None.

It was an exasperated dig at the right wing press stirring things up.

'Boris sends gunboats to defend Jersey' says it all.

BBC 'The fishing boats are at the entrance to the island's main port of St Helier, but they pulled away earlier to allow a freight vessel to leave'

They made it clear last night that it was not going to be a blockade and they were pissing off home this afternoon.

As regards the electricity thing. It's all baloney. There is a contract that runs for a good couple of years or so yet and the electricity won't be cut off. It's an errant minister shouting his mouth off.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here