Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] May 2021 local elections and Hartlepool by-election

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Who ever seems to be in power does anything really change ? All of them promise more Police and all we get is a crime reference number. A simple task of making roads either pothole or drain cover smooth and flat is way to much and the list goes on. Yet without playing the blame game of party politics how do you improve things ? For a start lets look at ourselves what a dirty disgusting nation no problem with throwing rubbish out the window or fly tipping you wouldn't do it at home or the workplace so why the elsewhere ? Why don't we just admit 'yes i got it wrong so won't be going to claims direct' how much would that save local government ? Last but certainly not least nothing over 100k per year at the top simply because if you are that good you would find and get in the private sector. Rant over. :dunce:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Another BBC1, weekday 17:15

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Who ever seems to be in power does anything really change ? All of them promise more Police and all we get is a crime reference number. A simple task of making roads either pothole or drain cover smooth and flat is way to much and the list goes on. Yet without playing the blame game of party politics how do you improve things ? For a start lets look at ourselves what a dirty disgusting nation no problem with throwing rubbish out the window or fly tipping you wouldn't do it at home or the workplace so why the elsewhere ? Why don't we just admit 'yes i got it wrong so won't be going to claims direct' how much would that save local government ? Last but certainly not least nothing over 100k per year at the top simply because if you are that good you would find and get in the private sector. Rant over. :dunce:

You've clearly never lived abroad. Its (largely) a mentality of 'I'll make my shit someone else's problem' from a certain small % of individuals across most countries. Yes there are exceptions, but most countries, unfortunately.

And most countries have the same issue with funding and local councils etc too.
We aren't unique.

But no, I'm not really bothered about the local elections

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes I'm bothered, yes I wil be voting and I encourage everybody else to do the same.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes I'm bothered, yes I wil be voting and I encourage everybody else to do the same.

This.

The 'ain't bovvered' agenda is the 'let's keep the tories in' agenda.

Who knew? ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Women died so I could have a vote, so I never waste it. I have spoilt papers in the past, as they are counted and noted, but always vote.
If you don’t vote, you can’t complain.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I will mainly be not bothering, I don’t care for any of the parties.

They all lie, and feather their own nests.

Until there is a party that appeals to me, I shan’t bother wasting my time, just because.
A spoiled vote, is wasting your time and theirs, if you think folks ponder or care about a spoiled vote, your beyond hope.
They don’t.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I will mainly be not bothering, I don’t care for any of the parties.

They all lie, and feather their own nests.

Until there is a party that appeals to me, I shan’t bother wasting my time, just because.
A spoiled vote, is wasting your time and theirs, if you think folks ponder or care about a spoiled vote, your beyond hope.
They don’t.

Having attended a count, the candidates have to view each spoiled paper to decide if it can be allocated. It’s amazing how inventive you can be, like not one of these candidates can be trusted, which is mild.
Look at candidates rather than parties.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I will be voting to oust the current Tory incumbent from the Sussex PCC who seemingly does nothing to protect our wildlife from people breaking the law.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
yeh I'll be voting. We've got Council and that Police thing. Anyone but the Tories for me, which round these parts probably means Lib Dem

Scottish and London Mayor ones are both probably more exciting though. Scottish for the long term impact on the UK as a whole, London because of the possibility of that bellend actor finishing behind Count Binface (he probably won't but you can always dream)

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Having attended a count, the candidates have to view each spoiled paper to decide if it can be allocated. It’s amazing how inventive you can be, like not one of these candidates can be trusted, which is mild.
Look at candidates rather than parties.

You wouldn’t believe some of the things I’ve seen on ballot papers having been a Count Supervisor for more years than I care to remember!
I really miss it to be honest :)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The only candidate to knock on my door and answer my questions was the Tory. I'll be voting against the Henfield Village Plan, so I'll certainly be turning out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not bothered about those who voted once, didn't get what they wanted, and now boycott democracy.

And I'm not bothered if they continue to complain.

There is no electoral system that gives eveyone what hey want.

If you don't like it, you could always kill everone that thinks differently from you.

Or put them on ignore :wink:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Local government has virtually no powers and has very limited funding. This exacerbates the feeling that it doesn't matter who you vote for. This has got worse since 2010 with George Osborne's austerity. It wasn't always like that. Big cities like Birmingham and Bristol virtually used to run themselves, and even Brighton had its own bus company. Joseph Chamberlain was more famous as Birmingham Mayor than he was as a national politician. The stupid thing is that the Conservatives under David Cameron brought in City Region Mayors, and some have done a good job, with Andy Street in the West Midlands and Ben Houchen in Tees Valley, both Conservatives, being outstanding. However, now that they are popular, the government doesn't want any more, they rival Westminster too much.

For the record, I voted postally for the Liberal Democrats as a protest against the Conservatives' appalling management of the finances of East Sussex County Council, and their cancelling of the grant to Ashdown Forest, which is near to me and is now heavily struggling for funds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here