Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] 1991 a cinematic year without parallel.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In due deference to [MENTION=19800]lawros left foot[/MENTION] I loves his the thread idea.
So much so I'm gonna steal it and use it for something I can work with!!

The only draw back to 1991 is the UK film industry didn't produce much.
But judging by what was coming out of Hollywood, it was probably a good year to miss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_films_of_1991

In no particular order (beyond the top 2)

T2
Silence of The Lambs
Night on Earth
Point Break
Barton Fink
New Jack City
Boyz in the Hood
JFK
The Commitments
Bill & Ted Bogus Journey
Cape Fear
Thelma & Louise.

11 films that still hold there own today, and 2 Ollie Stone sprawling epic messes (if you inc The Doors bunkum).

https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/1992

Plus another 25 underrated films:-

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/25-underrated-movies-of-1991/

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Whilst browsing the big board, I tripped up into your thread.
Do you know where the toilets are in this establishment?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Silence of the lambs obviously dominated and rightfully so , fantastic film.
But I also liked these,
Terminator 2,saw it at the pictures and it was incredible.
Out for justice,I was a big Steven seagal fan back then.
Last boy scout, remember this being brilliant but I haven't watched it for over twenty years.
Backdraft,great film.
Naked gun 2,very funny,classic humour.
Kevin Costner's robin hood wasn't too bad either(not as good as robin of Sherwood TV show mind)
I agree 91 was a great year for films and really got the ball rolling for a great decade of films.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I was pretty underwhelmed by that lIst as a starting point and the Den of Geek films.
Silence of the lambs, Boyz in the hood and Terminator 2, the rest are all bit average including a Coen Brothers film that would only just make their top 10.

Just pushing it one year to 1992 gets you Reservoir Dogs, Last of the Mohicans, El mariachi, Wayne's World, Unforgiven, Candyman, Glengarry Glenn Ross, White men can't jump, Strictly Ballroom,Alien3, Basic Instinct

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was pretty underwhelmed by that lIst as a starting point and the Den of Geek films.
Silence of the lambs, Boyz in the hood and Terminator 2, the rest are all bit average including a Coen Brothers film that would only just make their top 10.

I have to agree - it's a very underwhelming list. I love the Coen brothers' work but Barton Fink is by far their dullest film.

I'd opt for 1974 as the standout year. Godfather II, Chinatown, The Parallax View, Alice doesn't Live Here Any More, Fear eats the Soul, The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 (the original), The Man with the Golden Gun (the best Moore Bond film), The Towering Inferno (one of the better disaster movies), Murder on the Orient Express and two of my absolute favourites - The Conversation and Badlands. To top it all, there are two Mel Brooks' films - Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Just pushing it one year to 1992 gets you Reservoir Dogs, Last of the Mohicans, El mariachi, Wayne's World, Unforgiven, Candyman, Glengarry Glenn Ross, White men can't jump, Strictly Ballroom,Alien3, Basic Instinct

Point Break - come on broham stop messing with the vibe. :lol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The 90’s was a fantastic decade for cinema. Many of my favourite films came out of that wonderful ten years. Too many to mention. Not sure ‘91 is that a great a year though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd opt for 1974 as the standout year. Godfather II, Chinatown, The Parallax View, Alice doesn't Live Here Any More, Fear eats the Soul, The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 (the original), The Man with the Golden Gun (the best Moore Bond film), The Towering Inferno (one of the better disaster movies), Murder on the Orient Express and two of my absolute favourites - The Conversation and Badlands. To top it all, there are two Mel Brooks' films - Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein

Strong.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I have to agree - it's a very underwhelming list. I love the Coen brothers' work but Barton Fink is by far their dullest film.

???

You're going to have to do a lot of work to convince me it's not Moonraker.

Any film with about a hundred people in yellow jumpsuits pretending to be in zero gravity by walking slowly is not just clearly the best Bond film, but a standout candidate for best film ever.

I could list all the ways it's gloriously, utterly bonkers, but I'd never reach the end. So I'll just highlight the scene in the middle where a women is eaten alive by dogs, which appears to have been sliced in from another film and just left in because nobody was paying attention. Somehow the complete and sudden shift in tone is simultaneously completely in the spirit of the batshit crazy nonsense that surrounds it.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Point Break - come on broham stop messing with the vibe. :lol:

I think I watched that film for the first time when I was bit too old, I'll sure if I'd watched it as a teenager I'd have loved it. Same with The Goonies

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
???

You're going to have to do a lot of work to convince me it's not Moonraker.

Any film with about a hundred people in yellow jumpsuits pretending to be in zero gravity by walking slowly is not just clearly the best Bond film, but a standout candidate for best film ever.

I could list all the ways it's gloriously, utterly bonkers, but I'd never reach the end. So I'll just highlight the scene in the middle where a women is eaten alive by dogs, which appears to have been sliced in from another film and just left in because nobody was paying attention. Somehow the complete and sudden shift in tone is simultaneously completely in the spirit of the batshit crazy nonsense that surrounds it.

For me the best Moore is Live and Let Die or A View To AKill. I know everyone criticises the second one but Walken! Grace Jones! The Eiffel tower.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
As [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] has started this thread as a homage to 1991 film excellence, can I make a case for the celluloid offerings of1971?

French Connection
Shaft( best soundtrack, ever)
Dirty Harry
Get Carter
A Clockwork Orange
Fiddler on the Roof
Diamonds are forever ( best ever Bond?)
Straw Dogs
Walkabout (Jenny Agutter, if you know, you know)
Klute
10 Rillington Place
Le Mans.

And of course the seminal cinematic masterpiece that is Lesbian Vampires.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
For me the best Moore is Live and Let Die or A View To AKill. I know everyone criticises the second one but Walken! Grace Jones! The Eiffel tower.

A View to a Kill also has the only theme tune from the 80s onwards that I think both sounds of its time and sounds like a proper Bond theme.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I was going to chuck 2 French films into the mix for '91, but on checking, the first one I had in mind "Nikita" came out in late 1990, I know I didn't see it at the cinema till '91 though so I am having it, the other is "Delicatessen".

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I was going to chuck 2 French films into the mix for '91, but on checking, the first one I had in mind "Nikita" came out in late 1990, I know I didn't see it at the cinema till '91 though so I am having it, the other is "Delicatessen".

Yes I was thinking the same thing with Hong Kong movies.
Whilst reminiscing about which Hollywood films I enjoyed in 1991 I remembered that me and my mates were really into John woo films about that time.
A quick check says better tomorrow 2 was released in 87 but I'm sure it wasn't over here until 90/91 so I'm having that one.
John woo's action masterpiece hard boiled also just missed 91 but was 92 so I'm having that too.
Another great film was moon warriors but I had a quick check and that was 92,which was also the same year for resovoir dogs which was heavily influenced by the better tomorrow films according to tarantino,who also went on to be a regular feature of the 90s.
I can't pin it down exactly to 91 but the late eighties, early 90s certainly had some groundbreaking Hong Kong films that influenced Hollywood for the rest of the 90s and beyond but also saw directors and stars of Hong Kong films making the jump to Hollywood such as John woo and jet li.
And yes Nikita was a fantastic film.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes I was thinking the same thing with Hong Kong movies.
Whilst reminiscing about which Hollywood films I enjoyed in 1991 I remembered that me and my mates were really into John woo films about that time.
A quick check says better tomorrow 2 was released in 87 but I'm sure it wasn't over here until 90/91 so I'm having that one.
John woo's action masterpiece hard boiled also just missed 91 but was 92 so I'm having that too.
Another great film was moon warriors but I had a quick check and that was 92,which was also the same year for resovoir dogs which was heavily influenced by the better tomorrow films according to tarantino,who also went on to be a regular feature of the 90s.
I can't pin it down exactly to 91 but the late eighties, early 90s certainly had some groundbreaking Hong Kong films that influenced Hollywood for the rest of the 90s and beyond but also saw directors and stars of Hong Kong films making the jump to Hollywood such as John woo and jet li.
And yes Nikita was a fantastic film.

I saw City on Fire in the 2000's sometime, so many scenes clearly influenced Tarantino in Reservoir dogs and other movies of his.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If we're talking best year of the 90's for film, I'm going to chuck in 94 for consideration.

Leon, Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, The Usual suspects, Forrest Gump, Lion King, Speed, Dumb and Dumber, Natural Born Killers, True Lies, Speed.

It was also a great year for albums too:

Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Blur - Parklife
Portisheasd - Dummy
Manics - The Holy Bible
Suede - Dog Man Star
The Prodigy - Music for a Jilted Generation
Nirvana - Unplugged in New york
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Nas - Illmatic
Green Day - Dookie
Weezer - The Blue Album
Soundgarden - Super Unknown
Notorius B.I.G - Ready to Die
And a load of others...

So 94 might be the greatest year ever for popular culture...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here