Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Desert Island Discs, With A Twist.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If you could only take music from one country, and one genre, what would you choose and why?

And what track would you kick things off with?

For me, on the face of it, it seems like an open goal. Jamaica. Reggae.

However, I've had donkey's years of listening to the above. Still love it, still not heard everything, obviously, but have certainly heard a LOT over the years.

Instead. I'd go. South Africa. Jazz.

It has a very distinctive sound all of it's own, and I love nearly everything I've heard. But somehow I've only still barely dipped my toe in. So unfettered access to all that it has to offer, would be a brilliant voyage of discovery whilst still being somehow reassuringly familiar.

I'd kick off with this:

Over to you.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Italo disco, mainly 80’s.

Special reasons .... it was the music of my time spent clubbing in the Med and Canaries in my late teens/20’s. Perfect for me - a combination of synth, dance music and a lovely European feel. I still listen to a load of tracks. A special thanks to Rounder Records back in the day for stocking import 12” singles and albums. I later found out that Neil Tennant mentioned the genre as a huge influence.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Special reasons .... it was the music of my time spent clubbing in the Med and Canaries in my late teens/20’s. Perfect for me - a combination of synth, dance music and a lovely European feel. I still listen to a load of tracks. A special thanks to Rounder Records back in the day for stocking import 12” singles and albums. I later found out that Neil Tennant mentioned the genre as a huge influence.

:facepalm:

Me:

UK boogie woogie (Jools Holland) :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Can definitely hear the connection to The Pet Shop Boys in that track.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
England. The 60’s British pop. Can’t Explain, The Who. And anything else from this genre/era

West Coast Rock

A song I’ve posted loads of times on here, this time a versionfrom Dylan’s 30th anniversary

The most influential band from my youth - the fabulous Byrds. So many others including Jefferson Airplane and all the musicians who lived in Laurel Canyon in the late 60’s early 70’s

If I could go back in time and live anywhere it would be here:

https://rockandrollroadmap.com/plac...k-zappa-the-byrds-jim-morrison-joni-mitchell/

https://youtu.be/V_Df39PjkwA

Loving the nailing it to a very specific place, or era even. Takes it to the next level :thumbsup:

Marvellous scenes!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
English pop considered very broadly.
Beatles, Kinks, Bowie, Stones, Roxy Music, Joy Division, Cure, New Order, Radiohead, PJ Harvey, to name but ten.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Ah I’m struggling, the obvious choice would be British Psychobilly, I love the meteors and all the British bands that kicked off a world wide genre, there are young British bands still joining and contributing with fresh verve. However there are some great foreign bands that I also adore Germany and America have some bands I really like.

Then there is American rockabilly from the 50s and loads of new bands that really capture the spirt.

I also love blues, bluegrass,Jamaican Ska, Rock Steady, British & American 2Tone, not to mention British 80s garage trash, 60s American surf & Punk.

So much great music....

I really can’t decide...

Can I cheat and say Americana which would in my eyes include, America and blues, bluegrass, country (old) rockabilly, and new wave death country.?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
English pop considered very broadly.
Beatles, Bowie, Stones, Roxy Music, Joy Division, Cure, New Order, Radiohead, PJ Harvey, to name but nine.

Yeah, see how I went for South African Jazz, or it would have been Jamaican Reggae. :wink:

Nice little cheat really, as both have their sub genres, as does yours :thumbsup:

Hats off to those that really nailed it though by going for era too. I like their style as it's sort of what I was getting at with the twist.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Holland. Hardcore.
I've been listening to hardcore for over 30 years in its various guises. I started listening to acid house in the mid to late 80's, that progressed to jungle techno in the early 90's. I got heavily in to the rave scene, following all the different genres that branched off, happy hardcore, breakbeats, jungle, drum and bass, I loved it all, but it was the harder side of it that spoke to me the most.
Dutch hardcore was definitely the genre that I got the most pleasure out of at raves. The Technodrome at the Sanctuary was my second home, the floor literally bounced under the feet of dancing ravers, DJs like Clarkee, Scorpio, Producer, HMS, Loftgroover, for hours on end.
I still listen to Dutch hardcore and can't see that ever changing. Uptempo is my go to, it's fast and properly hard. I often wonder if I'll be some old man in a retirement home at some point still listening to hardcore, banging on to the nurses about my raving days like it was yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here