Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Squirrel-gate

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
We've got these furry little vermin in our loft, used to hear a bit of scratching and nuts being rolled around in our loft and soffit at the rear of the house, but they've gone bonkers in the last few weeks, almost sounds like they're moving furniture about!
Anyway enough is enough and I've had a pest control guy in today, apparently they're getting in between the roof tiles and the lining then dropping down into the loft. Good news is he didn't find a nest up there, so he's laid and baited several 'killer traps' where he could see they've been active. These killer traps are like small versions of the type they use to trap larger animals, the difference is the toothed jaws break their necks instantly and don't just trap them.
He said we'll hear the bang when a squirrel 'cops it' as it is quite loud, so I'm sitting here waiting for a bang! (story of my life)
:lolol:

Updates on progress to follow.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
In related news, the Troll is now doing squirrel kebabs at the Evening Star. but says it's hard to get a regular supply of squirrel, so I reckon you could make a few quid there...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Tree rats. funny to watch in the park but like you, not in the house thanks.

same goes for mice and other rodents. KILL!

sky rats are another lead magnet in my book.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A thread which nicely sums up humanities relationship with nature.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Get a rechargeable headlamp , fenix - type that has a flashing light function cyclists use .

If you have easy access to the loft put the lamp in the loft before bed time and just leave it on the flash mode , for whatever reason squirrel in particular hate it and quickly leave home for a less flashy loft .

A good lamp will flash for 10 hours before a recharge is required.

No animals were harmed in this post .

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014

Agree with you to a point, but they mate and can quickly become a nuisance. Over the last 2 years we have caught 11 squirrels from time to time in the garden using a humane trap, (very cheap on Amazon) then transported them to the same site in a large wooded area 9 miles away and well away from any residential properties. We’ve since found out that it’s not illegal to kill squirrels - but it is illegal to move them elsewhere. I guess it’s down to what you feel comfortable about doing.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I think it's nature's relationship with nature, actually. If a family of squirrels moved into a fox's or badger's home, I suspect they would get the same result - death. Humans aren't unique in not wanting to share their home with little wild animals.

Reactions: abc

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Agree with you to a point, but they mate and can quickly become a nuisance. Over the last 2 years we have caught 11 squirrels from time to time in the garden using a humane trap, (very cheap on Amazon) then transported them to the same site in a large wooded area 9 miles away and well away from any residential properties. We’ve since found out that it’s not illegal to kill squirrels - but it is illegal to move them elsewhere. I guess it’s down to what you feel comfortable about doing.

They mate and can become a nuisance.

Said nature about humans or humans about nature?

I'm half joking with all this stuff, i'm not a complete hippy

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I've just called 999, they're on their way to arrest you now.........

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Tree rats. funny to watch in the park but like you, not in the house thanks.

same goes for mice and other rodents. KILL!

sky rats are another lead magnet in my book.

Got talking to Mr Pest control and he said he does get called to some funny incidents. An old lady phoned him and said her cat had brought in a mouse which had then escaped and could he come and get it? So when he got there he asked her if the mouse was still loose and she no, the cat had hurt one of the mouse's legs so she'd caught it and put it in a box. So he asked her what she wanted him to do with it and she asked him if he could take it to a vet!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here