Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Border incursion.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Imagine if [MENTION=11350]LamieRobertson[/MENTION] was quietly going about his business, mowing some old dears lawn in Shoreham, when he comes across a county border stone that has got in his way.
Decides to move it, ends up in Southwick and then is arrested by the Sussex border police, for moving the county border.
It could happen you know, well it did in Belgium to a farmer :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56978344

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Imagine if [MENTION=11350]LamieRobertson[/MENTION] was quietly going about his business, mowing some old dears lawn in Shoreham, when he comes across a county border stone that has got in his way.
Decides to move it, ends up in Southwick and then is arrested by the Sussex border police, for moving the county border.

When I read the thread title I thought you'd been off shopping in Uxbridge again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sadly one can only dream of a Sussex Border Police Force.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Evening shift?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

This brings back memories.
Many moons ago, when I was a Grounds Maintenance Manager for the Council, I managed (amongst other areas), the Lewes Road strip from the sea, to Stanmer Park, which included St. Peter's Church. People were using the North piece of grass at St. Peter's Church to play football, using two trees, like you do, with about eight yards between them as a goal. The trees being used were in front of the huge stained-glass window, and I was asked to do something to prevent the very likely damaging of said window.
I had a brain-wave!
In the area of grass just north of Wild Park, there was a huge Sarsen Stone. I arranged for a crane-lorry to transplant this monstrous rock from where it was to the middle of the "goal" at St. Peter's Church, so you couldn't really use this as a goal any longer.
I was really pleased with what I'd done. It cost nothing to do, and it worked.
However, the following day, Cityparks received several irate phone-calls from members of the local Antiquarian Society.
They were mortified that the boundary stone which demarcated the border between Stanmer and Falmer had been stolen. I told them what I'd done, and why. All hell broke loose! I made the Argus yet again. The quote was, "Bungling Council Official moves sacred stone". I had to arrange for the crane-lorry to reverse the process and put it back where it originally lived. This I did a bit sharpish.
I could sleep soundly, knowing that the stone was back in its rightful place and everyone was happy again.
How wrong I was!
The next day, the phone went mad again with the Antiquarian Society members going berserk. Why? Apparently, when it was put back, it was facing the wrong way!
The crane-lorry was called in to action again to spin it round a few degrees aiming it exactly the same way it did for the previous few hundreds of years.
Every time I pass that stone now, I think to myself, "Thank ***k I've retired!"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just finished day shift, now a week off Mrs AR birthday :D

I knew women had a penchant for having the day off for their birthday, first time I’ve ever heard that the other half needed a full week off though :wink:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Many moons ago, when I was a Grounds Maintenance Manager for the Council, I managed (amongst other areas), the Lewes Road strip from the sea, to Stanmer Park, which included St. Peter's Church. People were using the North piece of grass at St. Peter's Church to play football, using two trees, like you do, with about eight yards between them as a goal. The trees being used were in front of the huge stained-glass window, and I was asked to do something to prevent the very likely damaging of said window.
I had a brain-wave!
In the area of grass just north of Wild Park, there was a huge Sarsen Stone. I arranged for a crane-lorry to transplant this monstrous rock from where it was to the middle of the "goal" at St. Peter's Church, so you couldn't really use this as a goal any longer.
However, the following day, Cityparks received several irate phone-calls from members of the local Antiquarian Society.
They were mortified that the boundary stone which demarcated the border between Stanmer and Falmer had been stolen. I told them what I'd done, and why. All hell broke loose! I made the Argus yet again. The quote was, "Bungling Council Official moves sacred stone". I had to arrange for the crane-lorry to reverse the process and put it back where it originally lived. This I did a bit sharpish.
I could sleep soundly, knowing that the stone was back in its rightful place and everyone was happy again.
How wrong I was!
The next day, the phone went mad again with the Antiquarian Society members going berserk. Why? Apparently, when it was put back, it was facing the wrong way!
The crane-lorry was called in to action again to spin it round a few degrees aiming it exactly the same way it did for the previous few hundreds of years.

Brilliant :lolol:

Retirement, whats that all about :D

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I had a brain-wave!
How wrong I was!

Wrong thread. Surely this belongs on the Bellcheeses at work thread? :jester:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had a brain-wave!
How wrong I was!

It would give me pleasure and a repeated source of amusement if you changed your NSC user name to 'Former Bungling Council Official'.

While I'm at it, I can think of another who might consider 'Ifejiagwa Dreamcrusher'. Calling [MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION]

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
It would give me pleasure and a repeated source of amusement if you changed your NSC user name to 'Former Bungling Council Official'.

While I'm at it, I can think of another who might consider 'Ifejiagwa Dreamcrusher'. Calling [MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION]
I'm currently looking for car insurance. I think I'll put that in the "Occupation" box!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
When I read the thread title I thought you'd been off shopping in Uxbridge again.

Oh Ruislip already knows about the vagaries of county borders, from when Middlesex disappeared many years ago.

Being a fellow ex Middlesexian, (is there such a term?), l remember when my home town of Staines moved to Surrey overnight.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

Brilliant :)

Also admirable work from Jack Straw.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Oh Ruislip already knows about the vagaries of county borders, from when Middlesex disappeared many years ago.

Being a fellow ex Middlesexian, (is there such a term?), l remember when my home town of Staines moved to Surrey overnight.

It's mad, I can drive 5 mins down the road, then I'm in the Shires :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here