Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Established Premier League

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
How many seasons do you need to remain in the top flight till you become an established Premier League club?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
How many season do you need to remain in the top flight till you become an established Premier League club?

We will never be recognised as an established Premier League club by the big clubs and their fans.

We are in the same group of clubs that punch above their weight such as Bournemouth, Wigan, Hull, Cardiff etc....

We are not really welcome, we are here for a brief period and the sooner massive clubs like Derby or Sheffield Wednesday return and take our place the better.

Allegedly.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
How many seasons do you need to remain in the top flight till you become an established Premier League club?

Established Premier League.

How l hate that phrase. All of us, (well maybe apart from the top six), given a certain set of circumstances, wrong results, and a lot of bad luck, are only one short season away from the drop.

Never count your chickens, let's all just be grateful, and enjoy dining at the top table, whilst we can. No one has the diving right to play here.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Ask an Everton fan.

we were playing Chelasea and Man City in lower leagues not that long ago.

weel, quite a while ago , but in my life time as a match going supporter.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

How l hate that phrase. All of us, (well maybe apart from the top six), given a certain set of circumstances, wrong results, and a lot of bad luck, are only one short season away from the drop.

Never count your chickens, let's all just be grateful, and enjoy dining at the top table, whilst we can. No one has the diving right to play here.

I think your definition is a little bit more black and white then mine; it was more about when will we be viewed as a solid, established team to transfer too and have a bit more clout as a premier league presence.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
From: https://www.myoldmansaid.com/seasons-in-english-top-flight-table-aston-villa-fighting-for-their-status/

Total Number of Seasons spent in Top Flight of English Football
Based on 121 seasons from 1888-89 to 2019-20.

* denotes currently in the Premier League

Everton – 117*
Aston Villa – 106*
Liverpool – 105*
Arsenal – 103*
Manchester United – 95*
Manchester City – 91*
Newcastle United – 88*
Sunderland – 86
Chelsea – 85*
Tottenham Hotspur – 85*
West Bromwich Albion – 81
Bolton Wanderers – 73
Blackburn Rovers – 72
Sheffield Wednesday – 66
Wolves – 65*
Derby County – 65
West Ham United – 62*
Stoke City – 62
Sheffield United – 61*
Middlesborough – 61
Notable Outsiders:
21. Burnley – 57*
22. Birmingham City – 57
23. Nottingham Forest – 56
24. Leicester City – 53*
25. Leeds United – 50
27. Southampton – 41*
36. Norwich City – 26*
39. Crystal Palace – 20*
43. Watford – 13*
50. Brighton – 7*
54. AFC Bournemouth – 5*

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Once you get to 10 seasons then you should get the badge, although no doubt we will still be one poor transfer window or injury crisis from relegation.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Apart from Zaha.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, of the current Premier League teams, the most established are:

1. Everton – 117*
  2. Aston Villa – 106*
  3. Liverpool – 105*
  4. Arsenal – 103*
  5. Manchester United – 95*
  6. Manchester City – 91*
  7. Newcastle United – 88*
  8. Chelsea – 85*
  9. Tottenham Hotspur – 85*
  10. West Bromwich Albion – 81*
  11. Wolves – 65*
  12. West Ham United – 62*
  13. Sheffield United – 61*
  14. Burnley – 57*
  15. Leicester City – 53*
  16. Leeds - 50*
  17. Southampton – 41*
  18. Fulham - 27*
  19. Crystal Palace – 20*
  20. Brighton – 7*

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
50 unbroken with a few Cups and European campaigns as well.

Like others I hate the term 'established premier league team'. Every season is an arms race and for the non-big clubs you're only ever one bad season away from the drop. Stoke City finished 9th three seasons running and I'm sure some of their fans began to feel they were 'established' - and then they promptly got relegated.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
We will never be recognised as an established Premier League club by the big clubs and their fans.

We are in the same group of clubs that punch above their weight such as Bournemouth, Wigan, Hull, Cardiff etc....

We are not really welcome, we are here for a brief period and the sooner massive clubs like Derby or Sheffield Wednesday return and take our place the better.

Allegedly.

Not sure I agree about not being recognised by the big clubs, I get the feeling we are respected in terms of stadia, training facilities and squad. I get the feeling the board is recognised as more often than not Barber is the one interviewed by the media when they are looking for an opinion.
Yes we haven't got the spending power of teams who regularly qualify for Europe but year on year we are improving in all departments which brings greater recognition.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
For Premier League only

prem.PNG

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
So, of the current Premier League teams, the most established are:

1. Everton – 117*
  2. Aston Villa – 106*
  3. Liverpool – 105*
  4. Arsenal – 103*
  5. Manchester United – 95*
  6. Manchester City – 91*
  7. Newcastle United – 88*
  8. Chelsea – 85*
  9. Tottenham Hotspur – 85*
  10. West Bromwich Albion – 81*
  11. Wolves – 65*
  12. West Ham United – 62*
  13. Sheffield United – 61*
  14. Burnley – 57*
  15. Leicester City – 53*
  16. Leeds - 50*
  17. Southampton – 41*
  18. Fulham - 27*
  19. Crystal Palace – 20*
  20. Brighton – 7*

Leeds. :lolol:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, for those in the Prem now, it's like this:

prem now.PNG

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, Brighton and Burnley are the 'new boys' making their 1st appearance in 2009/10 & 2017/18 respectively.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
50 unbroken with a few Cups and European campaigns as well.

Like others I hate the term 'established premier league team'. Every season is an arms race and for the non-big clubs you're only ever one bad season away from the drop. Stoke City finished 9th three seasons running and I'm sure some of their fans began to feel they were 'established' - and then they promptly got relegated.

I expect it to be a few good seasons yet until Stoke make it back too, so drop out at you peril, the Championship is so competitive and a hell of a difficult division to climb out of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here