Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If (or rather when) Bissouma moves - who will replace him in the starting eleven?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Been thinking a lot about this.

First and foremost I'm not sure its just going to be one player, because the three man back line might not be permanent - its quite possible that the reason we've seen it so much is that the club got four and a half very good centre backs. In case White also moves this summer, I think there's a decent chance Dunk & Webster would be the "new" CB pairing with White getting replaced by another midfielder in the formation - effectively replacing Bissouma with two players instead of one, playing 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or... something.

But if we assume the formation remains the same or similar, who do you think is going to replace him in the lineup?

Sure is no lack of candidates:

Ben White - excelled in the role the last two times he played there (Leeds & Man City). Would also solve the Veltman/Lamptey problem, with Veltman replacing him in the back three.

Jakub Moder - quite obvious that GP thinks he is more PL ready than some of other recent talents, but does he got the required defensive capacity?

Alexis Macallister - perhaps controversial but I've said a couple of times this season that I think he will end up more of a defensive midfielder than the AMC role he's been playing in so far. Perhaps more likely to replace Gross as the defensive playmaker however.

Moises Caicedo - some people see him as the natural replacement, however going from the U23s to immediatly replace Bissouma in the starting lineup would be... a brave move from GP.

Davy Pröpper - the dark horse in this. Widely assumed to be moving but was a key player in GPs first season and we would possibly have seen more of him if his preseason as well as the first half of the season wasnt ruined by a variety of injuries. Would be the "safe option" in the sense that he got experience and is a proven PL player.

Steven Alzate - would change the dynamics of the midfield, playing without a clear "anchor".

Jayson Molumby - I doubt it.

Or perhaps a new signing?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
There are none in the team who could currently replace Bissouma.

He’s too defensively gifted. Picks the pocket of so many players he hasn’t a right to.

We may have to change systems to fit in an extra body, because at the minute Bissouma is doing the job of two midfield players.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

First and foremost I'm not sure its just going to be one player, because the three man back line might not be permanent - its quite possible that the reason we've seen it so much is that the club got four and a half very good centre backs. In case White also moves this summer, I think there's a decent chance Dunk & Webster would be the "new" CB pairing with White getting replaced by another midfielder in the formation - effectively replacing Bissouma with two players instead of one, playing 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or... something.

But if we assume the formation remains the same or similar, who do you think is going to replace him in the lineup?

Ben White - excelled in the role the last two times he played there (Leeds & Man City). Would also solve the Veltman/Lamptey problem, with Veltman replacing him in the back three.

Jakub Moder - quite obvious that GP thinks he is more PL ready than some of other recent talents, but does he got the required defensive capacity?

Alexis Macallister - perhaps controversial but I've said a couple of times this season that I think he will end up more of a defensive midfielder than the AMC role he's been playing in so far. Perhaps more likely to replace Gross as the defensive playmaker however.

Moises Caicedo - some people see him as the natural replacement, however going from the U23s to immediatly replace Bissouma in the starting lineup would be... a brave move from GP.

Davy Pröpper - the dark horse in this. Widely assumed to be moving but was a key player in GPs first season and we would possibly have seen more of him if his preseason as well as the first half of the season wasnt ruined by a variety of injuries. Would be the "safe option" in the sense that he got experience and is a proven PL player.

Steven Alzate - would change the dynamics of the midfield, playing without a clear "anchor".

None of the above.

My preference would be to sign Frank Anguissa from Fulham.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Good thread.

I don’t think we’ll be signing anyone so it’s one of our current player who will need to step up.

I think the formation will continue as it suits players like Lamptey & March so much, it would be a shame for them to return to fitness this summer only to find out that a back 4 of centre backs is the order of the day.

It’s interesting that we’ve got 6 international midfielders to choose from (and Ben White). You have of course overlooked Tudor Băluță who is an international defensive midfielder with a superb talent for long passes. Injury and form seem to have eroded his stock dramatically though, I just can’t see him ever playing for the 1st team or U23s again.

Davy will surely be gone for a start. Moder, Alzate and Mac Allister are strong options but are they too attacking? Three international midfielders who’ll be looking for some serious game time and have all shown on occasions that they are top top talent.

Alongside the defensive playmaker (Lallana or Groß), you do need someone with extreme dynamism and energy. Caicedo is clearly the man, medium and hopefully long term. He is a player who can be ‘everywhere’ on the pitch, much like Biss. He also seems to have better shooting ability. The question of course is whether he is ready or not, I don’t think he will be but it’ll be fascinating to see if Potter bloods him in the last 4 matches.

Ben White would be an option if he were to remain at the club for another season. I’ve also been impressed by the industry and movement of Molumby when I’ve seen him.

However, I think you’ve made the right call with White. This is how I see the defence and midfield on the 1st game of next season setting up if there are no injuries and the wing-backs recover:

———————-Sanchez———————
—-Veltman——-Dunk——Webster——
Lamptey—White—Lallana———March
—-???????——-??????——?????———

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Most sides operate with 2 central midfielders who can pass and are comfortable to sit in front of the defence but the difference in formation comes in how width is created. Some, like us, play 5-3-2 or a 5-2-1-2 (Leicester, Chelsea, Spurs under Jose) this keeps a solid shape but means our width is less creative. A popular alternative is to play a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 (Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal) allowing the front 4 to provide the attacking width and creativity with an extra player available in the final third.

Against Ma Utd our width came from Gross and Moder playing further forward than Veltman and Burn did vs Chelsea the subtle change creates pockets of space in different areas to maximise our chances. If we lost Bissouma we may have to play more reserved in our attacking play because he offers so much protection.

Personally I'd like to see more game time for Alzate but with Gross, Propper, Lallana, Alzate, Malomby, Moder, Caceido all vying for the same 2 spots we are likely to need to see players leave before any incoming replacements for Bissouma. I personally think our long term aim is to develop youth and relish the idea that we would be a club that young talent would actively try to join because we are their best chance to make it in the premier league

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Biss allows us to play a two man midfield because, as someone alluded to above, he does the job of two players essentially in breaking play up and then driving us forward. When he goes, we’ll be hard pressed to find a player with those sorts of attributes so we may to revert to a there man midfield, with the onus being less on the false 9 we’ve seen recently and more on the wingbacks to produce moments of quality in the final third.

The most likely I would have thought to replace Biss though is White or at a push, Molumby, who will perhaps go on to play that anchor/ pivot role just in front of the back three, with a midfielder either side of him playing a more box to box role.

So…

Sanchez
Webster - Dunk - Veltman
White
Lamptey - Groß - Lallana - March
Maupay - Welbeck​

Or…

Sanchez
White - Dunk - Webster
Molumby
Lamptey - Groß - Lallana - March
Maupay - Welbeck​

Or something to that effect, likely the former.

Or go old school and play 3-4-3 with a narrow diamond ala Ajax in the 90s

Sanchez
Webster - Dunk - Veltman
White
Lallana - Moder
Groß
Lamptey - Welbeck - March​

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good thread.

I don’t think we’ll be signing anyone so it’s one of our current player who will need to step up.

I think the formation will continue as it suits players like Lamptey & March so much, it would be a shame for them to return to fitness this summer only to find out that a back 4 of centre backs is the order of the day.

It’s interesting that we’ve got 6 international midfielders to choose from (and Ben White). You have of course overlooked Tudor Băluță who is an international defensive midfielder with a superb talent for long passes. Injury and form seem to have eroded his stock dramatically though, I just can’t see him ever playing for the 1st team or U23s again.

Davy will surely be gone for a start. Moder, Alzate and Mac Allister are strong options but are they too attacking? Three international midfielders who’ll be looking for some serious game time and have all shown on occasions that they are top top talent.

Alongside the defensive playmaker (Lallana or Groß), you do need someone with extreme dynamism and energy. Caicedo is clearly the man, medium and hopefully long term. He is a player who can be ‘everywhere’ on the pitch, much like Biss. He also seems to have better shooting ability. The question of course is whether he is ready or not, I don’t think he will be but it’ll be fascinating to see if Potter bloods him in the last 4 matches.

Ben White would be an option if he were to remain at the club for another season. I’ve also been impressed by the industry and movement of Molumby when I’ve seen him.

However, I think you’ve made the right call with White. This is how I see the defence and midfield on the 1st game of next season setting up if there are no injuries and the wing-backs recover:

———————-Sanchez———————
—-Veltman——-Dunk——Webster——
Lamptey—White—Lallana———March
—-???????——-??????——?????———
Thank goodness there is someone else not in the 'We've got to buy an X and a Y and a Z' camp! Why do people think that the club are developing young players, and buying in younger players at no small cost to fit in with our succession planning model?
I don't know who will, or how we'll replace Biss if/when he goes. At the moment we're a bit short on options, aren't we?(!) No-one except;
Moder (full Polish international);
White (future England international);
Alzate (full Colombian international);
Propper (full Dutch international);
Karbonyk (full Polish international);
Caicedo (full Ecuadorian international);
Jayson Molumbey (full Irish international) and
Mac Argie (full Argentinian international). Fvck me - the cupboard's bare isn't it!!
The only thing at the back and in midfield that we're short of, in my opinion, is a genuine left-footed, left-sided defender. - and that could be Clarke.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
One thing I will point out is that Biss wasn't the DM Monster that he is today when he was first put there. He came as a box to box or more AM when we recruited him. The talent was spotted and he has made that role his own but there were a few mistakes early on and there has been a lot of coaching put into the disciplined performances we see today.

Could the coaching team do the same again with another youngster ?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think it’ll be initially Moder or White if we are needing to have a more defensive look. Ultimately though the man is Caicedo. He looks the player being developed to take over. Mobile, strong and with incredible stamina, much like the beloved Yves. Just depends on how quickly we can get him up to speed. I expect he’ll get a game before the end of the season.
Great that we have so many young, energetic options. Moder 21 and Caicedo is only 19. (Unless I’ve missed a recent birthday for either of them?)

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I’d be surprised if there would be much change out of £50M, assuming Tony Bloom doesn’t want to get us further up the league first. In terms of squad development it would be better if Bissouma signs a new 4 year deal and we sell in two years time. Might be best outcome for all concerned.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Some good points and I agree with you about the shape of midfield changing. Bissouma is like two players for us and I believe impossible to replace with one player. To maintain the control of midfield we’ve had so much this season, I think we will need an extra man in there.

I also think without Bissouma, Gross becomes a problem in centre midfield so he would need to come out IMO.

I really like the look of Moder so far- technique, confidence, awareness and most surprisingly and importantly to me, mobility. So assuming a three man centre midfield, I would probably like to see him in there along with Lallana and Ceicedo if he’s ready.

If Mac Allister continues his progress this season then there might be a place for him in there but I’m still not entirely sure of his best position - starting deeper or further forward.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Moder, it’s his normal position and he had already been blooded elsewhere in recent weeks.

After Wolves I expect the Asset of Bisosuma to be protected with Moder starting a few games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Good question, and I think it'll be the case that he's more likely to be 'replaced' by two (or more) players. He's been a main stay this season, and has played most minutes, Saturday was about the first time he's been substituted. The position is very important to the way we play and the team. I suspect the most likely to fill in that gap will be Moder -- who has said that his preferred positions are as a 6 (ie Biss' role) and a 8 -- and White. I suspect that there's also a good chance that we'll also lose White this summer though.
If we do sell Biss (and even more him and White), there will be some money around (and, yes, I'm fully aware of last year's accounts, but Tony has spent every summer so far when there have been losses). I think Maitland-Niles would prove a good addition, especially due to his mobility, engine and versatility, and I can see him dovetailing well with Moder. Who knows how quickly Caicedo is adapting/improving. Alzate in reserve. I suspect we'll lose Molumby and Propper.
I suspect we'll continue to play with a back three/five, even if we do sell White. That leaves Dunk, Webster and Veltman as first choice, and Burn as back-up and then one of Clarke or Ostigard (or maybe even someone younger, eg Roberts, Dendoncker), or perhaps both and if not both, maybe a new signing. That will highlight the strength of Lamptey and March as the wide players, and I suspect that we'll also sign a LWB as cover for Solly (Burn and Moder can also fill in there as we know, perhaps Karbownik too), whereas Karbownik ,Gross and Veltman can cover at RWB.
'Replacing' Biss with two players does mean that we'll have to adapt with the front three, and we might have to play a more advanced CM (Gross, Lallana, Ali Mac). That will leave Maupay, Welbeck, Trossard, Zeqiri vying/rotating for the two remaining spaces up front, plus also hopefully a taller striker/new signing. Connolly to go out on loan to a decent Championship club where he can locate his radar, maybe Zeqiri likewise. Small chance of signing Izquierdo for a year's extension if his injury doesn't seem too bad and Potter fancies him. We might also not be able to offload Ali J.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I see so much Biss in these Moises highlights. Hopefully we’d don’t have too long to wait for him to be first team ready.

https://youtu.be/ue0p3F0AX1k

I if Moises has as many bad shots as Biss? They can both clearly score a cracking long shot but it could be that the younger man is on target far more often than the mostly wayward Yves.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Excellent shout but he’d take a sizeable chunk of any Biss fee to pry away from Fulham

True, but he will surely have a relegation release clause and offers a net profit with little if any drop in quality.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I see so much Biss in these Moises highlights. Hopefully we’d don’t have too long to wait for him to be first team ready.

https://youtu.be/ue0p3F0AX1k

I if Moises has as many bad shots as Biss? They can both clearly score a cracking long shot but it could be that the younger man is on target far more often than the mostly wayward Yves.
I see some too but I also see dribbling with ball further from the feet and an almost languid approach. Both of these will need to improve to be successful in the premier league. Holding him back for now seems sensible

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here