Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
24 years ago today,
we went to Hereford away,
In the football league we did stay,
to live and fight another day

Not much has happened to us in the intervening period that I can think of...šŸ¤”

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
What a day and I even managed to blag my way into the pitch as one of the Stewards was an Albion fan. Hence the Steve Gritt photo as he was getting interviewed.
96a9bf76c93acd8744d9b454abf8084b.jpg
6e36e7e0cc4bc32c7990f1f49473043c.jpg

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not much has happened to us in the intervening period that I can think of...šŸ¤”

Indeed. 47 points in the 96/97 season, meaning the club regressed since then.

On another note, this game is talked about enough to warrant its own Wikipedia page. Someone less lazy and more knowledgeable on the subject should make that happen.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
24 years ago. Jesus. That makes me feel so old.

Still, what a ****ing day indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
What a day and I even managed to blag my way into the pitch as one of the Stewards was an Albion fan. Hence the Steve Gritt photo as he was getting interviewed.
96a9bf76c93acd8744d9b454abf8084b.jpg
6e36e7e0cc4bc32c7990f1f49473043c.jpg

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Ooh, you captured Gritt just before he popped off to the Happy Mondays gig. Nice one.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
What a day , never forgotten . Pics of the banner , me , Sis and me old mate . Such an emotional rollercoaster .

Attachments

• img413.jpg
    img413.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 505
  • img417.jpg
    img417.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 514
  • img414.jpg
    img414.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 504
  • img412.jpg
    img412.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 508
  • img394.jpg
    img394.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 499

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What memories, never at a football match have my emotions been as low or as high over 90 minutes. Nothing before or since felt as good at the final whistle, and boy have we had some highs and lows to choose from :smile:

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I was baking bread and cooking all afternoon in my kitchen whilst gulping and devouring two bottles of red wine.........

What noise, celebrations, mayhem in my house at that final whistle...

Memories and hangovers................

Come a long long way eh?

TNBA

TTF

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Without a doubt, my favourite footballing moment bar none. Nothing will ever compare to the high I felt at that final whistle. Nothing.

So pleased I was there but the wonderful thing is you didnā€™t necessarily need to be. I love the thought of our supporters all over the world going screaming tonto in their living rooms.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Never felt so many emotions in one day in my life, anger, sadness, stress, relief and then total elation . Hard to explain to anyone that was not there. That game changed my supporting Albion life as I remember thinking I am just happy to have a club to support as we would so close to losing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What a day , never forgotten . Pics of the banner , me , Sis and me old mate . Such an emotional rollercoaster .

Didn't know Tim Brooke-Taylor was an Albion fan.:eek:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
My Mum queued for ages to get me a ticket for that game. She was down the Goldstone at 7am for the 9am
opening bless her (or at least I think that was the opening times). I lived in Southampton at the time.

Some things you will never forget or what sacrifices your folks will make for you (more generally of course as well).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I remember meeting mates on Shoreham train station about 7:30 am . . . . sprinting to an offie between trains . . . and an electric atmosphere . . .mentally draining, I don't remember much else.

By the time I got home, I was very very drunk.

Last edited:

el punal

To quote Monty Pythonā€™s ā€œLife of Brianā€ - ā€œOoh, you lucky, lucky *******!ā€

I couldnā€™t get a ticket for the grand day out so I had to suffer home alone. I have never been so nervous about a football match before or since. It was all I could do to watch the latest scores on TV. When the news came through that Hereford scored I just shut down. Radio and TV switched off and I went into complete resignation mode - ā€œThatā€™s it. Albion, my club, are finished.ā€

Then, and I donā€™t know why, I switched the radio back on, onto Radio 5 (or 2 in those days?) to hear that something has happened at Edgar Street. And, of course, it was Robbie Reinelt banging in the equaliser. The Beeb then announced that they were going to broadcast the rest of the game. So for the next 25 minutes or so I paced up and down counting the seconds and minutes to the final whistle. I was screaming at the radio - ā€œFFS ref! Blow the f***ing whistle!!ā€ Well he did and I was in seventh heaven, and, completely drained. God knows how the Albion fans at Hereford must have been feeling.

Time to celebrate. Luckily I had 2x2 litre bottles of cider which were consumed pronto, followed by a trip to the pub where no one knew why I was so damn, deliriously, happy.

Wow! What a day! :ascarf:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I got my ticket from the Hereford ground a couple of weeks before the game, I think they knew I was Brighton but my local(ish) address gave me the benefit of the doubt. The only problem was it in the home end, I was very envious watching you guys celebrate :)

Stressful day, great result.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The most gut wrenching experience of my footballing lifetime. Mentally exhausting and exhilarating at the same time. Something Iā€™d never want to do again though.

Still remember that really annoying fan who got on the fence and refused to move despite blocking loads of peoples view. Think he ended up getting Reinelts boots too?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here