Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have Albion progressed this season?

Have Albion made positive progress this season?

• Yep - we've moved forward

Votes: 443 89.0%
  • No - we're treading water

Votes: 54 10.8%
  • No - we've regressed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Burnley have finished in the top 10 in two of the last four seasons.

I didn't say it couldn't be done just that it is difficult without the budget?

They have managed to excellent finishes but then they've immediately flirted with relegation the season after? It's very difficult to sustain those kinds of finishes without a budget for players that allows it. I do agree though that like or loath their football and I'm in the loath camp Dyche has done a very good job there and I hope for that reason he's not the next Palace Manager...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m sure the lickers will say yes
But I’ve never not enjoyed a season as much as this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get we’re frustrating and it’s absolutely shite not having fans in the ground. But less than the Archer years? Gillingham? Hyypia? Really?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I get we’re frustrating and it’s absolutely shite not having fans in the ground. But less than the Archer years? Gillingham? Hyypia? Really?

Some of the sexy attacking play we've seen this season would've really got the Amex going - you know how when a team gets on top and the crowd noise grows on every attack? I think that empty stadiums have been a real disadvantage in that respect.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We now have a top 8 playing style, system and defence but bottom six attacking options so in that sense think we have made huge progress (albeit not reflected in the points).

To progress next season is going to be down to whether we can successfully cash in players like Biss and reinvest wisely in a player(s) who can add some goals to the tally. Successfully plugging the Biss midfield hole with existing players on our books has to happen in the process.

Really difficult balancing act but if we are going to push on that has to be the priority this summer.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
we've preogressed in style and dynamism but not in results, so overall I guess its a tiddly step forward, particularly if we have saleable assets which can be used to re invest and strengthen the weak links..ie Bissouma out, striker in,

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No, but also Yes at the same time.

Probably the right answer. Progressed in so many areas (style of play, defence, integrating younger players, performances against the 'big' clubs), but stagnated in terms of points and goals scored. There's a good point above re saleable assets - I bet the squad (and club) is valued at a lot more than it was this time last year.

We're a few tweaks away from a top 10 team IMO - interesting summer ahead with arrivals and departures.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Been watching the Albion for (too many) years like loads on here. NEVER known a more frustrating season! If there is such a think as football luck and it swung 33% in our (Maupay’s, Trossard’s) favour we’d be being talked about as THE breakthrough side this season and that’s without Lamptey & Solly.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

Agree regarding fans in ground maybe that and the horrible year we have all had to suffer

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
All things considered during a pandemic without fans to urge the team forward or warn them of impending "danger" "danger"
Not forgetting a few key injuries to lampty, and solly have tested us and the players brought in have adapted well.

We can all see the team have progressed apart from one key area, so all in all not much to complain about, and if you do complain you need some real problems.

The only slight negative I have is concerning Percy Tau, why bring him back ?
Has Potter looked at him and thought he is simply not strong or good enough.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Overall I think we have progressed. However, like many things, when you progress its often on the basis of two steps forward and one back.
I think there's quite a few positives from this season which we need to build on and then a few obvious weaknesses and other potential areas for concern as we move into next season.

So first of all the positives;
With our current back three, Veltman at RWB and Burn at LWB, and Sanchez in goal we look to have a very well organised and physical defence. We won't be dominated in the air. Sanchez has given us a presence in goal that we didn't have before. Veltman has been a great acquisition. We've been hard to break down in the second half of the season and haven't been beaten by a few goals for a while. (City may change that). On top of that we have integrated Ben White who I really hope we can keep for another season. He's quick, aggressive and good on the ball. Going into next season with this defence will be comforting.
If White did go then we can move Veltman back into the right sided centre back position.
The challenge will be bringing Lamptey and March back who obviously add to our attacking abilities but probably weaken the defence a little. Maybe we'll go 'horses for courses' on this. I think both Lamptey and March will probably benefit from being slowly integrated back so that we reduce the risk of injuries recurring.

Style of play. It's a set, possession based, expansive style that the players know how to play now and although the formations may change, the style doesn't. I see this as a big strength.

We have a relatively young team with good energy levels and therefore we are quite dynamic, which we certainly weren't before the progress over the last two seasons.

We have a greater degree of confidence amongst the team and supporters. I certainly now never feel we are going into a game without a chance of a result.

We have some exciting new talent coming through although it's going to take some of them a while to integrate into the team and get as comfortable with the style of play as the current regulars.

Weaknesses;
We don't have an out and out centre forward. Maupay is more a number ten and in truth I think Welbeck isn't a selfish centre forward type who will bag us 12/15 goals a second. Our 'finishing' this season has been really poor and we don't mix it up enough in attacking positions, relying too much on creating the perfect chance. It's been well documented, but we haven't won as many games as we should have because of this. An example is the Wolves game. If we'd have cemented our first half dominance and been two up, I expect that Dunk wouldn't have pulled Silva back. We'd have won that game. There are so many other examples. The difficulty is finding the solution. Is it player based or a different mindset, or a an ability to be more clinical.

The loss of Bissouma. I'm sure it's happening. Yves has been brilliant this season but I think now is the right time to let him go. We need to get £40m plus for him and wish him well. If we hold onto him against his wishes we have a disenfranchised player and one whose value is likely to fall. Sell him now while his stock is high. What I don't know, is how we fill the gap and what impact his loss will be. We have two obvious replacements in Moder and Caicedo but both are very young and I doubt will have the same impact. Hope I'm wrong. I think we'll probably be able to cope but I really hope we can keep hold of White for another season, as to lose both Yves and Ben would be difficult to manage.

Promoted teams and crowds returning. Bit controversial maybe, but I don't think we'll benefit as much from returning crowds as other teams. Will a full Anfield have a greater positive impact on Liverpool than a full Amex on BHA. Overall I think this may go against us.
Also Watford and Norwich have recent experience of the EPL . I think that the league will be stronger next season and so we will have to continue to improve, to stand still. Therefore I hope we invest again in the squad this summer.
I can't see the obvious relegation certainties from the league this season. Possibly Southampton as they have been on a poor run. Palace, possibly as they have a huge challenge with all their players out of contract.i hope they change manager and that this disrupts them too.

So, in summary, yes we've progressed, but progressing again next season is far from straight forward.
The most important strength we have is good people in the important management positions and a continuity of those people. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
5th best for clean sheets and 7th best for goals conceded is a clear sign of progress although I accept that some people will only look at the table even if we were +21 on xPts instead of -21.

If we’d finish like an average team, we’d be somewhere around 10th. If we had players in the finishing form of Antonio & Lingard, we’d probably be above West Ham.

It can’t get any worse under Potter in terms of points and home wins. Onwards and upwards for next season, we could so easily have our best season ever if players hit the back of the net when they get chances deserving of a goal.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
This is a great thread of debate. A season of ups and downs, but with a few more ups in recent weeks and reasons for optimism.

Naylor's piece in the Athletic (which might as well be written by Barber himself) would have you thinking we've just witnessed the greatest season ever known to man - better than The Invincibles, better than United winning the treble. It's just pure cringe.

For me, we've kicked on in the second half of the season because GPot has dropped the ridiculous tinkering, we have a much more settled side that is well drilled and with everyone knowing their responsibilities.

But now the challenge is how we turn the potential into points without weakening our defensive core. And i hope selling Bissouma doesn't result in the constant chopping and changing in midfield again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here