Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ‘Brighton have been under considerable pressure from Leeds.’

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Says the commentator on MotD after Welbeck scores. Their xG was 0.64 FFS! What planet is he from (unless he is from Leeds of course). In terms of nerves, this was a very calm match for me as Leeds offered so little, my heart rate remained low and hair remained in my scalp which is unusual for this season! I was never really worried about Leeds (other than the amount of corners we conceded) because they were completely blocked out of the centre of the park.

Saying that - who else doesn’t worry about set-pieces as much as they used to with Sanchez ‘in’ and Dunk back to his best in the second half of the season? We’ve done really well defending corners since Wolves at home (with the exception of the Leicester gift).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That was weird. But then back in the studio they didn't have that opinion.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
There were spells where Leeds dominated possession but they didn’t do anything with it. We dealt with pretty much everything they threw into the box, mainly with headed clearances and a few good blocks. I can’t remember Sanchez having to make a save and our defenders certainly didn’t have to go all “Dunk and Duffy” with lots of last ditch blocks, throwing their bodies on the line etc. One of Leeds best chances was when Burns header hit Veltman and Burn had to clear it again, that’s probably as close as Leeds came to scoring in the match.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I seem to remember Leeds having a fair bit of the ball up until the 2nd goal and Poveda was causing a couple of problems. Let's not forget we are Brighton and we do have a knack of snatching defeat (or a draw) from the jaws of victory.

As soon as the second goal went in any thoughts of dropping points vanished, maybe we should try and score more than once every game?

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Says the commentator on MotD after Welbeck scores. Their xG was 0.64 FFS! What planet is he from (unless he is from Leeds of course). In terms of nerves, this was a very calm match for me as Leeds offered so little, my heart rate remained low and hair remained in my scalp which is unusual for this season! I was never really worried about Leeds (other than the amount of corners we conceded) because they were completely blocked out of the centre of the park.

Saying that - who else doesn’t worry about set-pieces as much as they used to with Sanchez ‘in’ and Dunk back to his best in the second half of the season? We’ve done really well defending corners since Wolves at home (with the exception of the Leicester gift).

It was quite noticeable that we’d done our homework yesterday. BDB positioned at the back post for free kicks - meat and drink headers, thanks very much - and Biss positioned for low hit corners - meat and drink headers, thanks very much.

Leeds did have a lot of the ball but did nothing with with it. I think this is due to our team being better coached, tactically more astute and fitter than the champions of Europe with the best coach in the world.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
There was potential pressure from all those corners.

But BDB.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Well, they did win loads of corners, which in the past would have been a recipe for catastrophe. But yes, we nullified them very well.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yesterday was a prime example of a few games lately where we seem to be totally in control and I'm not fearful of a cock up. It's thrown me completely :shrug:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Leeds did have us under pressure in 2nd half and carried a threat from free kicks and corners so it’s a fair enough commentator comment imo. But we won, with aplomb thanks to Danny so who cares!! :)

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
At the time he said that, Leeds were probably having their best spell, and although not threatening Sanchez they were I think starting to press a bit. The goal however settled nerves.

I liked that on MOTD the only comments about Leeds were Brighton have done "A Leeds on Leeds" and that Leeds were prevented from playing by Brighton. None of this Leeds played badly, that I( was expecting. Have the BBC finally realised that Leeds and Bielsa whilst good, arent the second coming of the lord!

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Its interesting that looking at the Leeds fans board they don't seem to rate Povenda but I thought he did cause a bit of concern when he first came on but BDB then readjusted and sorted him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Leeds did have us under pressure in 2nd half and carried a threat from free kicks and corners so it’s a fair enough commentator comment imo. But we won, with aplomb thanks to Danny so who cares!! :)

True. But I wasn’t concerned with Leeds, more that we’d make a mistake and concede. But as the games go by I’m more convinced we are removing this from our game.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
There was a spell, as there always is in our games, when we can't seem to get and keep the ball. In that sense they looked in control.

I watched us on MOTD for the first time in ages and found the coverage one sided to us. No surprise as we better viewing if your are editing.

Its a shame we only won because they were out of sorts and basically handed us the points. Yawn.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Leeds did have a lot of the ball but did nothing with with it. I think this is due to our team being better coached, tactically more astute and fitter than the champions of Europe with the best coach in the world.

Good point. MOTD pundits (Wright maybe) said we'd 'out-Leeds Leeds'. It was true.

Harmyar

Mar 24, 2021

I agrew with you pressure wise but I've got to ask what xG is ?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
McCoist also said that Maupay had been excellent. Nearly spat my beer out when he said it......

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I have to disagree on this one.. at that moment they had a number of consecutive corners and were dominating the ball. A lot of us were a bit uneasy. The match thread prior to our 2nd goal reflects this.

It really was a crucial goal at a crucial time. Killed the game.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It was quite noticeable that we’d done our homework yesterday. BDB positioned at the back post for free kicks - meat and drink headers, thanks very much - and Biss positioned for low hit corners - meat and drink headers, thanks very much.

Exactly I remember on corner late in the game and the commentators said about Biss clearing so many corner, as they took it Biss ran forward to the perfect place to head it away

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here