Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If we stay up, this time it is on our own merit

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
So the usual crap is flying around that we are no better under GP than we were under CH. People use the point tally as undeniable evidence of this. Personally I think this will be the first season we stay up because we truly deserve it, and that we belong in this division The first season we had stating up as the only goal and we managed to achieve this with a few good wins notably against Man U at home which sealed our place, but we were really nothing much to write about, the second season is one I want to forget having the Newcastle fans chanting ole as their team passed the ball around unchallenged was a horrible experience, as was cheering on a Pace win that was vital to our survival. The third season I think we were saved by the lockdown, which gave us time to regroup from a horror run of 1 win in ten games.

This year our play has been a joy to watch, we have taken the game to every team we have played. It has only been a shockingly bad list of missed chances that have kept us in this side of the division. As Biesla pointed out on every metric other than goals scored we should be so much higher up the table. So our play is great, our goals against is equal 7th, Understat has our expected points tally based upon our performances at 58. So yeah before you start yelling expected points are not reality, you are completely missing the point, this is an excellent team that only needs to sort out its trend of ballsing up good chances and then we will be enjoying much better results. One thing is for sure if we do come 17th, it wont be because we were the 4 worst team and we were lucky to have a worse team below us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have just seen this stat on the BBC Sport site, stark reminder of how wasteful we have been at home but also proof that our home form has not really been anywhere near as bad as we seem to think, we just haven’t taken our chances.

Brighton kept their seventh home clean sheet of the season - only Manchester City and Chelsea, with nine, have more at home in the Premier League this term.

As I watched us yesterday, before we scored, I thought for the first time since we arrived in the PL that we are too good to go down and what a travesty it would be be if we did

The manager believes, the players believe, the board believes, now the fans can also believe :thumbsup:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Not having that. The first season we stayed up on merit with games to spare.

We tonked West Ham at their place - 3-0
3-1 at home to West Brom on MOTD
3-1 at home to West Ham
4-1 at home to Swansea

We also beat Arsenal and Man United- the atmosphere was electric at The Amex. Drew v Spurs. Other good wins too.

Yes away form was poor but we made the Amex a fortress and everyone was pulling together.

To say we didn't stay up on merit is a laughable rewrite of that season, our first in the Premier League and an amazing achievement.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here