Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
4th: 2018/19 - Mat Ryan 6 clean sheets in 34 games
3rd: 2019/20 - Mat Ryan 9 clean sheets in 38 games
2nd: 2017/18 - Mat Ryan 10 clean sheets in 38 games
1st 2020/21 - Robert Sanchez 10 clean sheets in 23 games

What a f*cking record. :bowdown:

Ryan was a brilliant signing and helped keep us in the league during the first few seasons but Sanchez is such a colossal upgrade. Fair bloody play to Potter for having the balls to make that change, a masterstroke and fair play to everyone who helped develop Sanchez. He’s only going to get better too

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Massive credit to those in front of him as well, he's only had to make 56 saves in those 23 games, the whole defence has stepped up since he came in

el punal

4th: 2018/19 - Mat Ryan 6 clean sheets in 34 games
3rd: 2019/20 - Mat Ryan 9 clean sheets in 38 games
2nd: 2017/18 - Mat Ryan 10 clean sheets in 38 games
1st 2020/21 - Robert Sanchez 10 clean sheets in 23 games

What a f*cking record. :bowdown:

Ryan was a brilliant signing and helped keep us in the league during the first few seasons but Sanchez is such a colossal upgrade. Fair bloody play to Potter for having the balls to make that change, a masterstroke and fair play to everyone who helped develop Sanchez. He’s only going to get better too

Absolutely right. I will also add that the defence all round is much stronger than in previous seasons. In fact the whole damn team is. Putting the ball in the onion bag seems to be the only outstanding problem which I’m sure Graham Potter and Tony Bloom will address pretty smartish.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Absolutely right. I will also add that the defence all round is much stronger than in previous seasons. In fact the whole damn team is. Putting the ball in the onion bag seems to be the only outstanding problem which I’m sure Graham Potter and Tony Bloom will address pretty smartish.

I could be wrong, probably am, but I put that down to the players in front of Sanchez having much more confidence in him than they did with Ryan. I don't want to knock him but Ryan did have his shortcomings and to these eyes he never really inspired confidence in the defence.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
A blind man could have seen Sanchez was better than Ryan. If 100 fans were allowed to watch training for a week, 100 of them would have picked Sanchez to start the next match. All this "brave" talk about picking him is totally wrong in my opinion. Ryan has been out of form for over a year, he was a sieve. He might not have made many mistakes, but a PL goalkeeper is going to save more shots than a League 2 goalkeeper. In my opinion, the difference between Sanchez and Ryan is significant and it would have been obvious to anyone by watching the two of them keep goal. If anything, the question is why wasn't Sanchez picked sooner? He was brilliant at Tottenham and I believe he had an injury at the start of the season, but as soon as he was fit and training - why wasn't he picked to start sooner? I think that's the question.

If anything is brave it was playing Ryan because it meant the defence needing to prevent any and all shots on target and limit the number of set pieces we were giving away.

Anyway, Sanchez is a fantastic goalkeeper. I remember people on here over the last year or two saying that they'd heard Sanchez had moved ahead of Walton in terms of how he was rated at the club and they were absolutely spot on. With all respect to Walton, who will have a fine career in my opinion, Sanchez is cooking from a totally different menu.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A blind man could have seen Sanchez was better than Ryan. If 100 fans were allowed to watch training for a week, 100 of them would have picked Sanchez to start the next match. All this "brave" talk about picking him is totally wrong in my opinion. Ryan has been out of form for over a year, he was a sieve. He might not have made many mistakes, but a PL goalkeeper is going to save more shots than a League 2 goalkeeper. In my opinion, the difference between Sanchez and Ryan is significant and it would have been obvious to anyone by watching the two of them keep goal. If anything, the question is why wasn't Sanchez picked sooner? He was brilliant at Tottenham and I believe he had an injury at the start of the season, but as soon as he was fit and training - why wasn't he picked to start sooner? I think that's the question.

If anything is brave it was playing Ryan because it meant the defence needing to prevent any and all shots on target and limit the number of set pieces we were giving away.

Anyway, Sanchez is a fantastic goalkeeper. I remember people on here over the last year or two saying that they'd heard Sanchez had moved ahead of Walton in terms of how he was rated at the club and they were absolutely spot on. With all respect to Walton, who will have a fine career in my opinion, Sanchez is cooking from a totally different menu.

Why wasn’t he picked sooner? We will have to trust Potter and his staff on this. What we do know is that the timing has resulted in him slotting in perfectly. We don’t know what could have been, but we certainly know what has been and I don’t think it could have been any better.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Why wasn’t he picked sooner? We will have to trust Potter and his staff on this. What we do know is that the timing has resulted in him slotting in perfectly. We don’t know what could have been, but we certainly know what has been and I don’t think it could have been any better.

Well, obviously. Time marches on, we can't go backwards. It's worked out very well, because Sanchez has all the ability in the world. I'm not sure a goalkeeper of his quality would have been ignored by any manager. Even Chris Hughton would have had to play him. I always think of Harry Kane, he wasn't Tottenham's first choice striker. He was playing in the Europe League games - and scoring in them. So eventually whoever the manager was when he broke through had no choice but to play him because he was scoring everytime he played. Bad news for Soldado in that example, and Ryan in this. But if you're not performing and someone comes along in your position who is - you're out.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It’s still brave to throw an untested young goalkeeper into a relegation battle.

So much about goalkeeping is mental and confidence bound that if we’d thrown him in and he’d chucked one into his own net in the first game it all could have gone wrong, of course Potter deserves credit for being willing to take that risk - I’m sure we have some academy players who are better finishers than Maupay, but there are more reasons behind picking players than pure ability.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
All a bit unfair on Ryan. On his debut for Arsenal he kept a clean sheet for at least 74 seconds.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Has been brilliant, sadly this means that the European Champions designate will break the bank to attract him to the Paris of the North... :down:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Love him. The Bjorn Borg of goalkeeping in both talent, temperament.

Easily my Player of the Season which is quite something seeing as he’s only played half of it. I have little doubt that without Sanchez we’d still be sweating on avoiding the trapdoor.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Has done brilliantly.

But a word for his defence.

Many of the clean sheets, he's not faced a serious shot. Dunky and co have given him the perfect introduction to top level football. Talk about nurturing your team mates.

Robbie will surely kick on

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Sometimes I think I'm in the twilght zone when I come on NSC.

Nobody predicted that Sanchez would replace Ryan.

We were all amazed how much better the team was with Sanchez in goal.

Then we realised Sanchez is actually an excellent keeper.

I don't think you can reverse engineer it to make out everyone was clamouring for Sanchez to replace Ryan. At the time Sanchez was our number three keeper.

Anyway. You're Rod Serling and I demand my five dollars ???

:wink:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s the combo of him and the defence, not either/or........but it’s now working brilliantly

As for when he was picked, it was a big call (and probably as much down to Roberts as Potter). He’s young and had no experience at this level. Even if he was technically ready (he clearly was) the staff would have had to have been near-100% sure he was psychologically ready (as stated earlier this means potentially being able to cope with a couple of ricks in his first game which if they happened could have had serious long-term effects on him)

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Sometimes I think I'm in the twilght zone when I come on NSC.

Nobody predicted that Sanchez would replace Ryan.

We were all amazed how much better the team was with Sanchez in goal.

Then we realised Sanchez is actually an excellent keeper.

I don't think you can reverse engineer it to make out everyone was clamouring for Sanchez to replace Ryan. At the time Sanchez was our number three keeper.

Anyway. You're Rod Serling and I demand my five dollars ???

:wink:

Why are you deliberately misquoting/misrepresenting my point?

We do not see the players in training. Are you with me so far? The coaches and management do. Still following? How could they watch Ryan training, and watch Sanchez training, and think that Ryan was better?

That is, quite literally, it. I'm not saying the fans knew, we didn't. We don't watch the training sessions. We hadn't seen his development. The coaches had and they must have been able to see how good he was and that he was, quite literally, head and shoulders above Maty Ryan a lot sooner than the rest of us did. Frankly, it was obvious to the masses during the Tottenham game. Would you disagree with that assessment?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here