Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Ian Wright talking to Alan Shearer on racism.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Please take time to watch :thumbsup:

I saw some of this earlier, disturbing to say the least. It's the casual air of " Oh, this happens all the time, I just have to accept it " that really hits home. Online abuse in all its forms is absolutely abhorrent in my book yet we have professional sportsmen and women and professional commentators subjected to regular abuse of their race or sex almost constantly. Makes the governments recent Race Equality report look like the sham it really is.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I saw some of this earlier, disturbing to say the least. It's the casual air of " Oh, this happens all the time, I just have to accept it " that really hits home. Online abuse in all its forms is absolutely abhorrent in my book yet we have professional sportsmen and women and professional commentators subjected to regular abuse of their race or sex almost constantly. Makes the governments recent Race Equality report look like the sham it really is.

It was hard to listen to.
When I joined the RAF, way back in 1984, this sort of thing was about, similarly to what AS mentioned, you're hearing it, but you're not.
Forces humour was given as the reason for some, but the forces humour I know isn't.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
It was hard to listen to.
When I joined the RAF, way back in 1984, this sort of thing was about, similarly to what AS mentioned, you're hearing it, but you're not.
Forces humour was given as the reason for some, but the forces humour I know isn't.

You don’t need discriminatory language for a good sense of humour.

I can tell you it’s certainly not the forces humour nowadays anyway.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It is a difficult but worthwhile watch, although I thought editing out the actual offensive words rather reduced its impact. You couldn't tell exactly how crass the original poster was, although you got the general idea.

I don't understand some peoples mentalities that they have to do this crap

Although I do remember monkey chants and bananas in the North Stand in the late 1970s and early 1980s. You would have hoped those days were long gone now, but clearly not.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I watched it and it really brought home to me the personal consequences (on Ian wright in this case) of why people do this.
Really makes you wonder about the state of some people.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A small majority of football fans are as thick as pig shit, the Chelsea fans abusing Sterling probably spent years hero worshipping Drogba bunch of idiots.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It is sickening, I don't understand victimising someone for the way they look and I was shocked that Ian Wright said it happens daily. Nobody should have to endure such harassment especially in the dehumanising way it is thrown at him. I'd be happy for more checks to take place online if it ment they could track down individuals behind the comments

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It is sickening, I don't understand victimising someone for the way they look and I was shocked that Ian Wright said it happens daily. Nobody should have to endure such harassment especially in the dehumanising way it is thrown at him. I'd be happy for more checks to take place online if it ment they could track down individuals behind the comments

we dont need checks, just action. the platforms can block/ban those that make low level offensive post, police can trace through ISP or phone companies for more serious cases.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Yes, social media platforms need to do more to combat racist abuse, even if it eats into their profits. However, the main point of this piece is that the most effective way to reduce these incidents is for White people to challenge other White people who are being racist. As IW says, it is not a Black person's responsibility to try to convince White people that their racism is wrong. Calling someone on their racism can be incredibly difficult - it can mean confronting co-workers, mates, family members - but it is the difference between being anti-racist or a well meaning, but ineffectual, bystander. And, I'm not trying to be morally superior here: much to my shame, I have responded to racist statements with awkward chuckles/changing the subject etc. over the years.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Powerful viewing. I find it Impossible to understand why people do such things. I can’t see how we will ever eradicate, it’s the human condition. Especially in a global community. I understand ‘robots’ can send abuse. Who’s to say certain states aren’t behind some of this along with citizens of other countries given the PL’s reach and English as the worlds language. Thoroughly depressing world we live in where people seek to dehumanise and degrade others because of their race. And yet as old as humanity and tech has made it even easier because you’d turn on someone saying the sorts of things Wrighty read out if you were stood next to them at a football ground here.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It is a difficult but worthwhile watch, although I thought editing out the actual offensive words rather reduced its impact. You couldn't tell exactly how crass the original poster was, although you got the general idea.

Although I do remember monkey chants and bananas in the North Stand in the late 1970s and early 1980s. You would have hoped those days were long gone now, but clearly not.

did it not come out that one of IW 's on line abusers was a 15 year old Irish oik who was annoyed with him because of a poor performance in a certain football game played by a lot of fans , so he was abusing him because of his virtual self........that should give you a window as to what kind of thought process these people have.....morons.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes, social media platforms need to do more to combat racist abuse, even if it eats into their profits. However, the main point of this piece is that the most effective way to reduce these incidents is for White people to challenge other White people who are being racist. As IW says, it is not a Black person's responsibility to try to convince White people that their racism is wrong. Calling someone on their racism can be incredibly difficult - it can mean confronting co-workers, mates, family members - but it is the difference between being anti-racist or a well meaning, but ineffectual, bystander. And, I'm not trying to be morally superior here: much to my shame, I have responded to racist statements with awkward chuckles/changing the subject etc. over the years.

Sadly standing up and calling out racism is more difficult because of phrases like 'snowflake', 'virtue signalling' and 'banter'. Those who partake are given a ready mate retort to being called out. This means the conversation can be turned back on those doing the calling out for being 'politically correct, 'you can't say anything anymore' etc etc.

For the record I am not suggesting that those who use these phrases are racist or condone racism. I just think it is worth pointing out that this language can and does give people something of a get-out clause.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think you might be overestimating the intelligence of a majority of these racist idiots.

Really? How do you reckon a lot of them are watching the games they feel the need to be racist about? It isn't the Dark Web or a custom built router. You pay some dodgy people some money and install a bit of software.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011

As they said they were edited out for children. And tbh you want children to be watching that.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
He's not exactly an angel though is he (not excusing the racism he's experienced btw) but it's an appalling crime sheet, he said and did some pretty awful things:

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/IAN+WRIGHT'S+ROLE+OF+DISHONOUR.-a061049544

Aside the spitting and alleged thalidomide comment, which I'm not condoning, the other stuff is just football niff naff in general.
The acne ridden retards that spout the racist stuff, hidden behind their sticky tissue laden keyboards, are just cowards.

Larry Boyd

Banned
Feb 25, 2021
Aside the spitting and alleged thalidomide comment, which I'm not condoning, the other stuff is just football niff naff in general.
The acne ridden retards that spout the racist stuff, hidden behind their sticky tissue laden keyboards, are just cowards.

Agree with the second paragraph, but for Ian Wright to be portraying himself as such a victim is a bit rich considering his conduct when he was at Arsenal, the spitting and thalidomide charges are shocking as was his calling out of David Pleat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here