Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Welbeck

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I like his skill and attitude. Worth a two year deal. His goals have been vital. I'd love to see him play up front with a fit Andone.
His celebrations are banter with the kit man. Says a lot about the player. No Charlie big potatoes.

BG would've loved this signing. That is all I need

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Brilliant goal, incredible technique.

Our first job should be to sign him up for a few years.

He might not score a hateful but as an inside/support striker I can't think of many I would prefer (certainly not many we can afford or who would come).

What was the in-joke with the kit man?

May 5, 2020
Sussex
When I saw the goal live this afternoon I thought it was a fantastic turn and finish but I thought the ball seemed to stick in a patch of long grass which set him up perfectly for the shot which I thought was a nice piece of luck.
But I've now seen the replays on match of the day from the different angles and I see the ball didn't get stuck,welbeck has performed a sort of spin stun on the ball like a snooker or golf player which sets him up for the shot.
Its one of the best touches I have ever seen, especially as he has done it whilst performing the gross turn.
It really is an incredible top quality goal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't believe some fans saying not to get him to renew his contract for another year.

Did you watch the game today?

And you think he is going to deteriorate in the next few months?

Show me all your posts saying 'we must extend Welbecks contract'.
Show me all of the 8/10 ratings you've given him this season.
Show me all the gushing praise you've written about him, over the season.

He was great yesterday.
He's steadily been getting better - a lesson for all of us who expect instant gratification from players.

Had the club singed him with a clause heavy second season option, they'd be sitting pretty right now and seemingly we'd all be happy.

But they didn't.
They took a gamble on an injury prone striker, nearly 30, who's prolific days were a long long time ago because (let's be honest here) there was nobody else left.

Prior to yesterday one of the issues we had near unity on was 'the strikers aren't good enough and are letting the side down'.

Welbz has been great recently.
He seems like a nice bloke.
His Premier League career has a couple more goes left.
He's still got goals in him.
He also has the odd performance like yesterday.

But if 'we' are going to allow the club to rinse and repeat the centre forward transfer market for the 10th season running, we have no right to complain when 'the strikers aren't good enough and are letting the side down', AGAIN.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Show me all your posts saying 'we must extend Welbecks contract'.
Show me all of the 8/10 ratings you've given him this season.
Show me all the gushing praise you've written about him, over the season.

He was great yesterday.
He's steadily been getting better - a lesson for all of us who expect instant gratification from players.

Had the club singed him with a clause heavy second season option, they'd be sitting pretty right now and seemingly we'd all be happy.

But they didn't.
They took a gamble on an injury prone striker, nearly 30, who's prolific days were a long long time ago because (let's be honest here) there was nobody else left.

Prior to yesterday one of the issues we had near unity on was 'the strikers aren't good enough and are letting the side down'.

Welbz has been great recently.
He seems like a nice bloke.
His Premier League career has a couple more goes left.
He's still got goals in him.
He also has the odd performance like yesterday.

But if 'we' are going to allow the club to rinse and repeat the centre forward transfer market for the 10th season running, we have no right to complain when 'the strikers aren't good enough and are letting the side down', AGAIN.

07 Nov 2020
He’s looking a touch of class already. On the selection thread people were stating he couldn’t possibly start given how little football he’s had. Yet here he is, 80 odd mins and getting a good few chances:

If he gets into a run of form and fitness, can see him being exactly the answer to scoring some goals.

22 Nov 2020
Massively over excited by Welbeck and I’m not pulling that back in check by coming up with reasons to think otherwise.

Many didn’t even expect him to be starting games so soon after no pre-season, but he’s hit the ground well and truly running. He’s missed a few chances because he’s getting chances.

I think his impact is larger than just on the pitch as well. His personality appears to have fitted straight in, a lift around the place. He seems to have ‘got’ Brighton straight away and there is a smile on his face as he plays.

No caveats from me, think he is the real deal. Keep him fit and who knows how many he could get. Great start to his Albion career.

I've cut back my time on NSC, but will these do? There are others...:thumbsup:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
D1A76F6D-24D7-4B35-83BB-E53B3E923D4B.jpeg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Has anyone got a gif?! Just the turn will do !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
07 Nov 2020

22 Nov 2020

I've cut back my time on NSC, but will these do? There are others...:thumbsup:

And you've been sorely missed.

Even then with your glowing praise Welbz hasn't seen the job through on injuries or goals.
Plus neither post reads like it's a response to positivity (hard to believe I know! )

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... Prior to yesterday one of the issues we had near unity on was 'the strikers aren't good enough and are letting the side down'.

Welbeck wasnt signed for his prolific goal scoring potential, he's always been more about the link up play. we'd be daft to not offer another year or two years to seal a deal for the quality, experience and professionalism he brings.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
That pitch was like a bowling green and you thought there was a patch of long grass??!!? ???

When have you EVER seen even a single blade out of place at the Amex?
I don't know why,but watching on Amazon,the grass seemed a bit longer than the last time I watched us play.
A few times during the match the ball seemed to be slowed due to the grass being a bit longer than usual.
But as I say,when I watched the goal on match of the day,I could see welbeck had actually stunned the ball rather than the grass needing a cut.
It really was a fantastic goal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Welbeck wasnt signed for his prolific goal scoring potential, he's always been more about the link up play. we'd be daft to not offer another year or two years to seal a deal for the quality, experience and professionalism he brings.

Are you implying the club would be daft if they didn't start next season with a front 3 of Welbeck, Maupay and Connolly?

Bearing in mind the other 2 are unlikely to be going anywhere.

As said if DW's contract had a caveat induced option for a second year it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

But actively extending it does rather smack of yet another sticking plaster, in a long line of centre forward sticking plasters.

All from a R & D dept who can generate a world class centre back in between scratching their balls and opening the curtains, every morning.
The only positive is it would appear they can nearly do that now with centre midfielders.

Fingers crossed come the 2031/32 season we should be knee deep in strikers. :lol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are you implying the club would be daft if they didn't start next season with a front 3 of Welbeck, Maupay and Connolly?

Bearing in mind the other 2 are unlikely to be going anywhere.

im highlighting that Welbeck is doing the job expected, he's turned in career average goals so far. one of our best players and we'd be a poorer side without. problems with scoring are elsewhere.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
im highlighting that Welbeck is doing the job expected, he's turned in career average goals so far. one of our best players and we'd be a poorer side without. problems with scoring are elsewhere.

I can think of a whole host of reasons to keep Danny beyond all the ones I've already mentioned but sadly none of them have happened:-

Ever available - keep Welbz
10 goals 10 assists - keep Welbz
Clinical Maupay (thanks in part to DW) wanted by PSG - keep Welbz
Hairy manchild in under 23's hasn't missed the onion bag since Feb - keep Welbz
Connolly retiring from football to follow his dream of becoming a hairdresser - keep Welbz.

Playing some decent football and having a great game v The Leeds - just doesn't cut it.

I do think going again with an identical front line is folly and I'd be amazed if either of the other 2 went anywhere.

Naturally I'd love to be wrong, I'd be the first to :bounce: this wrong opinion, I just can't see it.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Won the 3 points on his own today. Involved with all our best chances and both the goals.

Probably his best all round game today, but he's been great for us the whole time.

By far our best striker and we would be mad not to sign him up for another year.

I think Dunky might have something to say about that but I agree with the sentiment!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Mrs asked me pre game about Welbz
I said he s not a 20 goal a season striker BUT if we keep him Fit he can contribute
Today he did 😍

This.

I've not changed my view on him.

My ideal partnership up front is Wellbeck and (TBC).

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

...and goals

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here