Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Welbeck

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ha ha you had a viewpoint right from the moment he stepped through the door that you didn’t rate him, of course you’re going to see the negatives in his contributions to reinforce that view.

We’ve been better every time his been in the side imho. Home to Liverpool, away at Villa, West Ham, then unfortunately he got injured.

I love this short memories as if you’ve got the only objective view.
You're right and wrong. I was indeed convinced he was a shit signing at the outset, and in my defence he then spent four months proving me right. He was a waste of wages and a squad place most of that time. However, he has definitely proved his worth over the past few weeks, no question. I am happy to say this is the case, and would give him a one year extension on the strength of it.

What I object to are all these arse lickers calling him quality and acting as if they were right all along as if he wasn't rubbish for the first half of the season. I talk about short memories because those same people are calling for Maupay to be shipped out when for the half season Welbeck was pony, it was HE who was the only goal threat we had.

For what it's worth, I think we need a new striker. Connolly needs to go out on loan because he has simply been dreadful all season but is young and could yet come good if he does his time in the lower leagues. A N Other, Maupay and Welbeck then fight for two places because it is not plausible to bin off two of our three strikers.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
If that goal had been scored by say Neymar or even Ronaldinho - back in the day... well, it would be lauded as genius from a genius... to do that in a PL game, against world beaters too... it was sublime, absolutely worthy of Frank Worthington in his prime... make no mistake, no forward we've had for years could have made and scored a goal like that.

If he continues to stay fit and grow his confidence, another season is quite simply put: essential. Welbz up top with a better Maupay and we're going to be a force. His experience, skill and movement are essential to that vision for me... we're literally one piece away from a top 8 jigsaw.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Don't think he was that bad early in the season. Scored a great goal Vs villa got the pen Vs Liverpool and scored against Sheffield utd.

When he has started he has not let us down. Can't remember a really bad performance where fans were slagging him off ?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
That was literally all he did. That Villa goal was pure class, but the stumble when running onto a pass 6 yards out, not so much. The Sheff Utd goal apart, he spent game after game being utterly anonymous and I'm not really sure he should be claiming too much credit for that laughable penalty against Liverpool either.

But like I said he's been largely excellent for a couple of months now, no question.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was here defending him from ridiculous abuse he was recieving from posters on here who made their mind up about him before he even played for us. He wasn’t that bad at all. Was inured for 6 weeks between December and February.

Because you called him useless when he signed and subsequently, you’re really struggling to give him the credit he deserves now. He has been much better than ‘fine’ and wasn’t ‘dog shit for months on end’ at all.

Has now got as many goals from open play and more assists than Maupay in over 1,000 less minutes of game time. Very good player and by far our best attacker.
You let yourself down when you accuse me of "struggling" to give him credit where it's due. That clearly isn't the case as I've said three times (now 4!) on this very thread that he's been good for two or three months now. And he has, lovely goal today and our main goal threat for weeks now.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
You're right and wrong. I was indeed convinced he was a shit signing at the outset, and in my defence he then spent four months proving me right. He was a waste of wages and a squad place most of that time. However, he has definitely proved his worth over the past few weeks, no question. I am happy to say this is the case, and would give him a one year extension on the strength of it.

What I object to are all these arse lickers calling him quality and acting as if they were right all along as if he wasn't rubbish for the first half of the season. I talk about short memories because those same people are calling for Maupay to be shipped out when for the half season Welbeck was pony, it was HE who was the only goal threat we had.

For what it's worth, I think we need a new striker. Connolly needs to go out on loan because he has simply been dreadful all season but is young and could yet come good if he does his time in the lower leagues. A N Other, Maupay and Welbeck then fight for two places because it is not plausible to bin off two of our three strikers.

But Welbeck being pony in the first few months is just your opinion that you seem to have convinced yourself is fact.

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
He is clearly enjoying his football playing for us. He has always had the talent but needs to be fit and have a clear role which suits him. Potter is managing him well. I hope he stays next season and scores a few more like that. Great goal late in a game where he looked focused and committed throughout.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Doubt a one year extension at the age of 30 would secure his services.Other clubs would offer far better terms.His an intelligent footballer and could play at the top level for 3 to 4 more seasons.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Been doing very well all spring after what I still think was a poor run back in September-November.

Sign him up for another year, with the option to extend it for another - wouldnt give a flat two year contract to a 30 year old player with his injury history, so I'm thinking 1+1 would be a good solution.

More or less embarrassing than your BDB vs Pulisic comment last week? More or less embarrassing than after a great 2-0 win use your mancrush as a bat against what you percieve as a rival to your mancrush?

Welbeck did well again but he is playing with his teammates, not against them.

:shrug:

I think people are missing it was Maupay's hassling that panicked the two defenders which freed the ball up for Welbeck to do his magic. Also missing the fact that Welbeck had a run of missing some absolute sitters - but neither he nor Maupay are 'sh*t' as a number have been saying. Also missing that its nice to have a decent striker but not so good if he is not fully fit and/or injury prone. People need to look at the PL goal scorers to realise that the gap is NOT as big as people are making out e.g. both Ings and Wood have 10 goals , yes in less appearances but that also tells a story. Doesn't mean we don't look for better but let's join the queue along with 19 other PL teams

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think Welbeck is worth a new 2 year deal. He's 30, he's potentially got years left in the tank. He's got far less miles on the clock due to his injuries over the years, so if we can keep him fit (and I acknowledge that is an IF), then he's unquestionably a big asset to the squad.

I'm going to say it. He could just be our new Glenn Murray.

There.

I said it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Benjani celebration for the kit man this week - want to see what’s next!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Eh? Where were you when he was absolute dog shit for months on end? I don't recall asking you to "admit defeat" then.

I'm just calling it as it is. He has been fine for 2 or 3 months, but terrible before then. I hope he carries on being fine but don't pretend the previous few months didn't happen.

Completely disagree - he was far far far from turd. He’s been pretty consistent all the way through - the goal and performance at Villa were fairly early. Think you’re in the minority with that opinion.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Who was the person in the stand he went to after scoring?

The kit man - Daz I think his name is. Said in an interview his last CMS seagull was actually the Yakubu and he and this Daz always talk about what old celebration to do next time. Today’s was Benjani!

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I was here defending him from ridiculous abuse he was recieving from posters on here who made their mind up about him before he even played for us. He wasn’t that bad at all. Was inured for 6 weeks between December and February.

Because you called him useless when he signed and subsequently, you’re really struggling to give him the credit he deserves now. He has been much better than ‘fine’ and wasn’t ‘dog shit for months on end’ at all.

Has now got as many goals from open play and more assists than Maupay in over 1,000 less minutes of game time. Very good player and by far our best attacker.

Unfortunately, that wouldn’t be too hard. We really need a front three triangle banging in 25 plus a season to get out of this relegation battle in season 5.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Today’s goal gets better and better on every watch. Unreal bit of skill followed by a proper finish.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Agree with a two year deal. He’s full of invention and skill and clearly a great presence in the dressing room. An absolute delight to see him gaining fitness through his enormous hard work and the efforts of our medical team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Today’s goal gets better and better on every watch. Unreal bit of skill followed by a proper finish.

Hits it so powerfully but also so it dips / bounces right near the keeper, making it very hard to save. Years of training at Man United / Arsenal shining through there. Loved the comms line ‘Danny Welbeck reminding us all he was an England international’ :lol:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Can't believe some fans saying not to get him to renew his contract for another year.

Did you watch the game today?

And you think he is going to deteriorate in the next few months?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I like his skill and attitude. Worth a two year deal. His goals have been vital. I'd love to see him play up front with a fit Andone.
His celebrations are banter with the kit man. Says a lot about the player. No Charlie big potatoes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here