Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Credits, what's the point?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why do tv companies and films continue to roll the credits at the end of any programme/film. All it does is eat into broadcasting time. Anyone that is really interested can look them up on IMDB. Besides, half the time they roll to fast to actually read.

And for that matter, why list the people in a programme at the start? Just show the title FFS.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It's some sort of contractual obligation to credit the people that worked on it isn't it? They show them at the start of the show in the hope the viewers might actually see them I guess as most streaming services now make it very easy to skip them at the end.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Why do tv companies and films continue to roll the credits at the end of any programme/film. All it does is eat into broadcasting time. Anyone that is really interested can look them up on IMDB. Besides, half the time they roll to fast to actually read.

And for that matter, why list the people in a programme at the start? Just show the title FFS.

I really like them. I'm interested in all the actors, the music, the artists etc. Not so much the Best Boy etc. And there is frequently some lovely accompanying music. Blythe Spirit on Sky is a recent fine example.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
They keep talking over them these days to try to encourage you to watch some crap on later.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Ever watched a Marvel film to the end at the cinema :shootself

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ever watched a Marvel film to the end at the cinema :shootself

Don't think I've ever watched any film till the very end at the cinema. There are few that played a few outtakes (think Toy Story went to the extraordinary lengths of animating outtakes) but there's still the crap about Best Grip, Best's Grips Mate, Best Grips agent and Best Grips Mate's agent, etc etc.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Don't think I've ever watched any film till the very end at the cinema. There are few that played a few outtakes (think Toy Story went to the extraordinary lengths of animating outtakes) but there's still the crap about Best Grip, Best's Grips Mate, Best Grips agent and Best Grips Mate's agent, etc etc.

With the last lot of Marvel films, you got an extract of the next film or a hint of whats to come, all in the final credits.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Never leave the cinema until all credits have been completed, just once in a while there's a coda.

I really hate the current trend on TV for reducing the screen size so you can't read the credits and advertising something that I'm probably not interested in at the same time.

Same with music, I always read the album credits to see which instruments have been played and by whom, who the backing singers were and so on.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
They keep talking over them these days to try to encourage you to watch some crap on later.

This should be a hanging offence in my book , talking over the end credits of The Persuaders , The Champions , Randall and Hopkirk ( deceased don`t you know ) and some great films .
This has been a TugWilson production .

Executive Producer - TugWilson
Production Manager - TugWilson
Script Supervisor - TugWilson
Key Grip - TugWilson
Chief Sandwich Maker - Prince Monolulu`s Daughter
Best Boy - As if you need to ask :)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Never leave the cinema until all credits have been completed, just once in a while there's a coda.

I really hate the current trend on TV for reducing the screen size so you can't read the credits and advertising something that I'm probably not interested in at the same time.

Same with music, I always read the album credits to see which instruments have been played and by whom, who the backing singers were and so on.
This

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
As someone who works behind the scenes in entertainment, it would be horrible to see credits get removed. There are hundreds of people that work behind the scenes of all films, tv shows and live theatre performances, far more people then we ever see on screen. You ask many that do a job similar to what I do, and we don't do it for the credit or the appreciation, but when we get it, it is always very much welcomed.

Obviously, it is normally the actors, directors and musicians that get the most of the praise and credit, but why should the people that make everything happen, that build the platform for the stars, get a very thin slice of the appreciation pie?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I think the answer is they aren't for the viewers, it's an industry after all.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
I like the credits and agree with many on here who dislike the fast speed so you cannot read them, the talking over them, the reduction in screen size.

FFS, leave them as they should be, it could be your son, daughter, wife, husband, sister, brother etc etc who worked or acted in the programme, film etc. I'm 100% sure you'd want to see their name go up on the credits

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Many years ago I listened to a dvd director's commentary, I think it was eXistenZ, directed by David Cronenberg. He noted the then current trend for start films before or during the credits. He sad he preferred to have a distinct opening sequence and closing credits as a sort of transition, allowing people to settle into the movie universe - you've just made your way to the theatre, perhaps the theatre has neon lights and distractions to entice you into buying drinks and popcorn, and then there settling into your seats. The opening credits give you a chance to adjust and prepare for the world you are entering.

And at the end, the end credits work in reverse, but also give you that moment to catch your breath, to digest what you've just seen and recover. I see a lot of people with in the industry complaining about the habit of netflix and prime to jump to their 'what next' rather than letting the credits play for this reason (and respect for the people listed).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
As someone who works behind the scenes in entertainment, it would be horrible to see credits get removed. There are hundreds of people that work behind the scenes of all films, tv shows and live theatre performances, far more people then we ever see on screen. You ask many that do a job similar to what I do, and we don't do it for the credit or the appreciation, but when we get it, it is always very much welcomed.

Obviously, it is normally the actors, directors and musicians that get the most of the praise and credit, but why should the people that make everything happen, that build the platform for the stars, get a very thin slice of the appreciation pie?

Playing devils advocate, there are hundreds of people who work on a number of things who don't see their name on the label. You aren't gonna see the inventors of a vaccine on the label for instance.

There are also many people who work on productions (or later importantly distribute and sell them) who don't find their name on them either.

I don't have a problem with it, but lets face it it's an industry thing. The internal compromise being the "credit squeeze", where they are squashed out or talked over with a promo for another programme.

Be honest, viewers don't read the credits, it's a "luvvies" thing where often the mundane is elevated to art.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Playing devils advocate, there are hundreds of people who work on a number of things who don't see their name on the label. You aren't gonna see the inventors of a vaccine on the label for instance.

There are also many people who work on productions (or later importantly distribute and sell them) who don't find their name on them either.

I don't have a problem with it, but lets face it it's an industry thing. The internal compromise being the "credit squeeze", where they are squashed out or talked over with a promo for another programme.

Be honest, viewers don't read the credits, it's a "luvvies" thing where often the mundane is elevated to art.

It's a fair point, and I knew it would get mentioned, and one that is difficult to argue.

My first thought that jumps to mind is I work in an industry, as you slightly stated, where the big (Cruise, Spielberg, Ant & Dec, Beyonce, Webber are the first few that jump to mind) are the absolute biggest in the world. Complete household names, that rightfully (some would argue wrongly) get showered in attention and most of the praise because of their talent infront of the camera/on stage or orchestrating it. There aren't many industries, aside from, ironically, football probably, and sport as a whole, that the names are enjoyed, adored, celebrated and have a following around the world as entertainment. I guess credits is just a way of showing it isn't just the face that makes the magic happen.

Also, and as you put it with a less then flattering term, is because some people in the industry can be seen as 'luvvies' and like to be thanked. If you met me, I am anything but a 'luvvie' but, I'm sure anyone would, liked to be appreciated for the work they do and enjoy taking credit. Any person would. I am thankful I work in an industry where there is a deep rooted tradition of the cast/'stars' thanking the smaller man (Gesturing to the musician and backstage after a performance, programmes to buy before the show, actors thanking teams when awards are accepted, credits after TV shows.) It is nothing massive, but as I said, I like being appreciated. If that makes me a luvvie, you have a very distorted view of entertainment and the arts.

Maybe the spotlight should really be on other important industries, that don't gratify the smaller man. It took a global pandemic for the nation to start clapping the NHS and earn a fraction of respect and understanding for teachers have to go through on a day to day basis. Aside from sport, and that rarely praises the little man, the only other industry I can think of that regularly thanks the work force is the Armed Forces.

I also think after a year off, especially for live theatre and big budget films, it may be more obvious and in your face then usual. No industry, aside from travel and tourism, andthe NHS, depending how you look at it, was hit harder then the arts, entertainment and leisure as a whole. Theatres closed, productions stop, music silenced. We got by, and got even more creative then usual, but are now finally getting back.

After a year not doing the job I love, I started a 3 week quarantine on April 15th, to allow me to start work again on May 5th. It's been a long time coming, but can't wait to get going, and hopefully I get a tiny bit of appreciation again, but because I like it, not because I expect it.

(Sorry for the long, and slightly off topic post, but that's what 2 weeks of quarantine can do to you!!)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I always stay to the end off he credits. Sometimes to see friends and family who work in the industry, sometimes to listen to the music and adjust to returning to normal life. Very occasionally these days, to see my own name.
There something rather nice about remaining calm and seated while all the yahoos and fidgetysticks struggle with jackets and bags and rush out for the bus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here