Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Advice please - Buying online through gumtree

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Looking for some advice please.

I'm buying some golf clubs through gumtree and will need to have them posted to me (I can't afford brand new clubs and there's nothing local to me for collection). I realise I'm taking a risk as the seller will no doubt and rightfully ask for money upfront before sending. Is there any reasonable assurance I can get from the seller that the items will be sent? Is using PayPal a better option than bank transfer?

Looking for anyone who has bought the way I plan to and any steps you took to put your mind at ease!

Thanks

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Pay with Paypal. You're automatically covered for a refund should a) the item not arrive or b) not in the condition described.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
This doesnt help but I would avoid trading on Gumtree in any shape or form other than local pickups.

Last time I used them (before Christmas) within minutes my phone number had been passed on to an offshore call centre purpoting to be CPW and trying to sell me a new phone, and every single response to the adds I placed had professional scammers trying to do fraudulent shit.

(I got ripped off one time too by a chap whilst booking a holiday accomodation in Brighton, who my my own error, I sent money too. I wasnt the only one, that fellow ended up in jail for his gumtree activity, there was some 10's of us)

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Pay with Paypal. You're automatically covered for a refund should a) the item not arrive or b) not in the condition described.

you need to take the option which covers this i.e. you are buying something and there is a small surcharge for that.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Tell the buyer you definitely want them. Then get a pal to email the seller asking if they're available and what best price is.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Just avoid gumtree, only any use where you can go and see the item before paying and collect in person. Use eBay for buying stuff remotely, seller will have to provide a proof of purchase and you can easily claim a refund if item isnt as described - GumTree has no equivalent protection.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Tell the buyer you definitely want them. Then get a pal to email the seller asking if they're available and what best price is.

In the hope they say already sold, pending money transfer?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
In the hope they say already sold, pending money transfer?

Yes. A scammer will sell them to everyone.

Another test is the "Accidentally sent E-mail". You send (from an anonymous yahoo/gmail account) the person in question an email saying "Hi Dave, I hiope I got the right email for you, my PC went wrong and I lost all my emails. Can you confirm you still have the laptop and where to send the balance please? ". Don't use thier real name, if they're called Dave then use Brian etc. Same for the item, don't use an item they have for sale.
A scammer will latch on to this and try and get money out of you, a genuine person would say "sorry chum, you got the wrong person"

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can have my clubs if you want.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Looking for some advice please.

I'm buying some golf clubs through gumtree and will need to have them posted to me (I can't afford brand new clubs and there's nothing local to me for collection). I realise I'm taking a risk as the seller will no doubt and rightfully ask for money upfront before sending. Is there any reasonable assurance I can get from the seller that the items will be sent? Is using PayPal a better option than bank transfer?

Looking for anyone who has bought the way I plan to and any steps you took to put your mind at ease!

Thanks

I just bought a 2nd hand set of clubs, looked at Gumtree (where I've also had a couple of dodgy experiences) but no better pricing than the 5 or 6 big sellers of used clubs (just Google)

As others have said, if you can't pick up I'd avoid

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
You didn't say how far away the seller is from you - is a meet-up halfway a viable compromise?

As others have said, with sales like this I'd be wanting to see [touch] the goods before parting with my dosh - but likewise, as a seller, I want your money before I hand them over.
These sales rely on trust, which, sadly, in these days is too often misplaced.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Alternatively you can pick up from Eastbourne the clubs gathering dust in my in laws garage.

Wilson bag includes :

3 iron
4 iron
5 iron
6 iron
7 iron
8 iron
9 iron
Pitcher
Sand wedge
Putter Regal pro tempo PL3

Drivers