Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] RIP Michael Collins

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Sad times indeed. But an opportunity nevertheless to remind people of two excellent books on the subject of Astronauts and the pioneering times they came from - Moondust, in search of the men who fell to earth by Adam Smith and the without equal The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Heard this last night, only 4 moon walkers still alive including Buzz and the Geologist, and a further 6 who made the journey from the Earth to the moon, including Jim Lovell ( Apollo 8 & 13).

I truly hope that some are still alive to see woman/man return to the moon.

RIP MC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Behind all the hype of getting people into space and on the moon there are these brave men and women that risk all to go up there in a tin can with the threat of never returning home and a lingering death. Well done to them all, I am in awe. RIP MC.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
IMG_7678.jpeg
This photo - that he took - has the whole of humanity in front of it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The most significant event in modern history. It went over my head a bit when I was eleven, but when I watched a documentary on it in my 30s, I was unexpectedly breathtaken. I suspect it seeded a 'we can do anything' mentality, in many; so necessary for dealing with unanticipated crises. Like Covid.

RIP, pioneer.

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
I thought Liam Neeson gave a great portrayal of him on film , showing the side of his life that hasn’t really been touched on in the recent coverage .

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I thought Liam Neeson gave a great portrayal of him on film , showing the side of his life that hasn’t really been touched on in the recent coverage .

Eric, you beat me to it you lump of crap! :amex: His spirit lives on in Neeson.

Seriously though, legend and great quote from MC about having “the third best seat in the house, but what a seat”. 400k people worked on that mission, mind-blowing in every sense. RIP a great and humble man.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I was fascinated by space flight since I was a nipper. Aged 6 I persuaded my mum let me stay up to watch the moon landing on TV and by age 10 I could name every man (and one woman) who had gone into space.
These people were the heroes of my childhood, far more than footballers or pop stars.
R.I.P. Michael

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It seems astonishing that NASA allegedly spent $25b to achieve getting a man on the moon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here