Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] I don't get this, any ideas welcome.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Bear with me, I need to be careful.
Looking to buy a used car, know what I want, seen one and its on a well known internet car sales site.
Today I found out how much to insure, all good.
I noticed that the reg from the picture of the car was different to the reg in the blurb, but by only 1 digit eg AA17 ZZZ compared to AA67 ZZZ, no problem I though just a mistake on the blurb, but I gave the insurance company the reg from the picture of the car and it came back as a totally different make eg Ford Focus not Audi A3 ( not true)
If the picture is a stock picture of the right car, model and colour why is it actually totally different and why is it only the 1 digit out from the blurb, it should be a totally different reg, shouldn't it.
It is from a very well know used car site that most people would know.
Totally confused but will contact them tomorrow after seeing some replies (if any)
Ta

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Would you be the second owner? In which case I would suspect DVLA cock up when first registering the vehicle, not unheard of.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Does it have windows that... Wind up, then wind back down again?

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
I suppose it's possible that the owner transferred the registration number to a different car as a "cherished number", but it would be quite a coincidence that the car would then be re-registered with a number that's that close to the other one. If that is the case, there's a possibility that the car could be newer than you'd think from the number plate. You could always put both registrations into https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ and see what that says about them.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I suppose it's possible that the owner transferred the registration number to a different car as a "cherished number", but it would be quite a coincidence that the car would then be re-registered with a number that's that close to the other one. If that is the case, there's a possibility that the car could be newer than you'd think from the number plate. You could always put both registrations into https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ and see what that says about them.

This is a site that apparently totally checks the car out before advertising it,all less than 7 years old with low mileage, they advertise on TV.
The one I'm after is a Mazda special edition (only 500 made) 2017 18k mileage.
They deliver with 3 days insurance and you can send it back before 14 days if you don't like it, it's hardly Arfur Daley.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Bear with me, I need to be careful.
Looking to buy a used car, know what I want, seen one and its on a well known internet car sales site.
Today I found out how much to insure, all good.
I noticed that the reg from the picture of the car was different to the reg in the blurb, but by only 1 digit eg AA17 ZZZ compared to AA67 ZZZ, no problem I though just a mistake on the blurb, but I gave the insurance company the reg from the picture of the car and it came back as a totally different make eg Ford Focus not Audi A3 ( not true)
If the picture is a stock picture of the right car, model and colour why is it actually totally different and why is it only the 1 digit out from the blurb, it should be a totally different reg, shouldn't it.
It is from a very well know used car site that most people would know.
Totally confused but will contact them tomorrow after seeing some replies (if any)
Ta

Unless the picture is not one of the car itself but a mocked up generic version, and they've made an error with the reg plate.

Are the pictures of all the cars on the site in a similar pose with the same(ish) background ?

It may be that the company you are getting this from is a middle man for dealers. Does the car come from their own HQ or a dealer they act on behalf of ?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Would you be the second owner? In which case I would suspect DVLA cock up when first registering the vehicle, not unheard of.

I also heard a story years back that a brand new motor left the showroom with different reg back and front - garages make the plates up on site and mistakes do happen.

I'd ring the seller and explain you were looking to get an insurance quote but there appears to be a discrepancy - please advise correct index number.
Having then had a convo with the seller you'll get a better feel for if they are legit or dodgy.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yes it says 1 previous owner.

I would request the 17 digit VIN (vehicle identification number) from the seller/website and then get the DVLA to check if the make/model/colour tie up with their records, if it does then ask them to confirm the registration number. It could be as simple as an error when manufacturing the number plate. Some of this info may only be available to the registered owner or retailer, so you might have to ask them to do this for you. A bit of pain in the arse work to do, but you will either avoid buying a dodgy one, or you may get lucky and find that others have previously steered clear because of these issues and the seller is happy to get what he/she can for the vehicle as it has been hanging around. You just might get a bargain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here