Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Seem Tottenham Fans Seem Interested In Mr Potter

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I would probably be tempted to cash in on him and his staff. I don't think it would be a difficult sell to bring in a replacement who can match the results we're getting on the pitch. The club is well set up to be run consistently off the pitch so all we'd need is a Head Coach who could get the team performing. That's a low bar at the moment.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Not a chance Spurs will go for him. If they're looking at Potter then they're look at 10 others in the pecking order before him. Even if he was good enough for them, which is debatable, the arrogance of top 6 teams means they'll never go for that sort of appointment. It looked like their first choice was Nagelsmann, who's now off to Bayern, so that tells you the level of manager they're thinking of. They'll end up with one of the usual names on the European merry-go-round, like Sarri. If they were going to go for someone without top 6 or European experience then they're much more likely to appoint someone with a Spurs history so at least the fans give them the chance.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Potter's CV is not sexy enough to make him a leading contender for the Spurs job. Right now it looks as though the Albion will be finishing lower in the table than last season and that lack of progress will be worrying his admirers.

To me this indicates that Potter is still learning the skills necessary to make it at the top level. Pochettino was getting the very best from his Southampton team, but he already had those skills after gaining 4 years' experience in La Liga at Espanol.

I think Erik Ten Hag would be a good appointment for Spurs.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Not a chance Spurs will go for him. If they're looking at Potter then they're look at 10 others in the pecking order before him. Even if he was good enough for them, which is debatable, the arrogance of top 6 teams means they'll never go for that sort of appointment. It looked like their first choice was Nagelsmann, who's now off to Bayern, so that tells you the level of manager they're thinking of. They'll end up with one of the usual names on the European merry-go-round, like Sarri. If they were going to go for someone without top 6 or European experience then they're much more likely to appoint someone with a Spurs history so at least the fans give them the chance.

Sol Campbell it is then

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Spurs will want someone who can prove they've managed top, international class players.

First first question at any interview will be, how would you convince Harry Kane to stay?

SAC

May 21, 2014
I can't see it happening unless Spurs are desperate to save money. None of us know what is in GPs contract but if it is true that he's one of the lowest paid managers in the PL, it wouldn't cost much (in PL terms) to pay off his contract. That's assuming that is what is required, it could be that there is a clause releasing him for a set amount if a "big" team comes knocking.

Steve Cooper would be a decent replacement if they don't win in the play-offs.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I said elsewhere that there were a few conversations in the media last week about whether we could hold onto Potter. Not whether we'd get rid of him if we get relegated but whether we'd be able to hold onto him regardless of what happens. I doubt those stories come out of nowhere so perhaps there's a bit of gossip about interest from other teams, whether that's Spurs or someone else. What I think is most interesting is that whether rumours are made up or come from conversations taking place behind the scenes both seem to imply an external, neutral(?) view that he's being held back in his ability and ambition by the club he's at, rather than him being at fault for the team's position.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Can we get the NSC Potter Out brigade to sign up to that Spurs forum and set them all straight?

Justice
Tom
figgis
Et al

Do your thing.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't think Potters stock is anywhere near high enough yet to get such a high profile job, added to the fact he's not really foreign enough.

The only angle I can see that may have some merit is that in Potter, Levy would have a relatively soft-touch low maintenance manager in the dugout, who's not going to make any waves in the media, and won't be giving him headaches in terms of making demands for funding a squad. If that appeals, then perhaps GP is a bit of a chin-stroker for him.

But otherwise, nah. Just cannot see it happening.

This is how I see it, he's not quite ready yet.

I don't think it'll happen but if they do go for him he'll leave, no way is he turning down Spurs for the project/loves the club/loves Bloom/loves the city or any of the other nonsense people say in these situations!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
G.Potts has only recently moved into a fantastic house off Hove seafront that he's had renovated and I expect his wife and young kids are happy and looking forward to life by the beach. He's got an easy commute to the office at Lancing (15 mins tops) with great facilities for a coach like him. Will he really want to commute a minimum of 2 hours (when the traffic is OK) each way to Spuds complex at Enfield every day? And then at least 2.5 hours to get home after every home match? You can understand him leaving Swansea no problem, but lifestyle factors would surely play a big part in his next move. And the time doesn't yet feel right for that move.

For a doubling, or possibly a tripling of his salary and the chance to manage a bigger club, Mrs Potter having to spend a few hours with estate agents and the Farrow and Ball paint colours chart all over again wouldn't be a major obstacle I'm afraid..............IF Spurs were interested, whether he left would be far more about the extent to which he feels he's got unfinished business with us, the relative support from the respective boards/chairmen, the longer term plans of the clubs and Potter's own ambitions, not houses and schools. Driven, internationally-mobile people relatively early in their careers don't tend to think like that

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Amusing how many Albion fans just cannot see that Potter, with the right backing, is 100% destined to be of interest to much bigger clubs. Never has an Albion manager been so under rated by so many of our own fans. Be careful what you wish for though....Bloom was obviously having a shit day when he extended Potter’s contract by so many years. Comforting to know that Albion fans can see how clueless it was, shame they aren’t running the club, we’d definitely be top 10 material with a better manager. There are plenty of them out there apparently

If you think Albion fans moan about Potter when he has us 17th in the table, what do you think the reaction would be at Spurs if he had them 8th?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you think Albion fans moan about Potter when he has us 17th in the table, what do you think the reaction would be at Spurs if he had them 8th?

Spurs have a “wailing wall” wherever they are in the table don’t you know?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here