Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] "Crate Training" a puppy

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Much excitement at neighbours who are getting a puppy. Mrs Neighbour has already apologised for any noise while it settles (very nice of her) but mentioned it shouldn't last long as they're "crate training" it.

Anyone know what this is? I've never heard any of my dog owning mates mention it. Will it miraculously have the little pup sleeping through the night within the week? Or can I actually expect a rather more lengthy yap and howl based disruption? Youngest GB keeps harping on about getting a puppy and one of the biggest things putting me off is that, at my advanced age, I simply can't do another round of infant/animal based insomnia.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We got our puppy in November and he was generally crate trained in a few days - i.e. he didn't bark or howl all night. The trick is to put them to bed and NOT go and see them when they bark etc. It's a few sleepless nights but it's worth it. That said, I was up at 1.30am this morning to take him out for a pee and then up again at 6.30am with him. It is hard work but worth it. I suspect I'm a similar age as you and it does knacker me out but if I think back a few months I realise how much he's progressed. Looking at booking gun dog training soon which should also help.

Oh - and having his balls chopped off - which hopefully will calm the humping.

Last edited:

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Much excitement at neighbours who are getting a puppy. Mrs Neighbour has already apologised for any noise while it settles (very nice of her) but mentioned it shouldn't last long as they're "crate training" it.

Anyone know what this is? I've never heard any of my dog owning mates mention it. Will it miraculously have the little pup sleeping through the night within the week? Or can I actually expect a rather more lengthy yap and howl based disruption? Youngest GB keeps harping on about getting a puppy and one of the biggest things putting me off is that, at my advanced age, I simply can't do another round of infant/animal based insomnia.

Crate training is essentially make the dog happy in it's crate (cage basically).

This can take a long time with a puppy, and the mistake many owners make is rushing it causing early anxiety in the dog. More modern thinking is just let the dog sleep where it feels most safe, if that is right next to your bed, so be it. Never let a puppy 'cry it out' http://www.simplybehaviour.com/letting-dog-cry-cause-permanent-damage/

If you're on Facebook, there is a group called Dog Training And Support [DTAS] who have a list of guides which might be worth passing on to your neighbour.

They also have a premium group ideal for you, 'thinking of getting a puppy'. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

Once trained they can drag in the whole crate.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

We bought a crate for ours when we got her 7 years ago. She slept in it the first night and when she barked or whined, we left her alone. Fine by the second night. However we didn't shut the door as the we could keep the kitchen door shut so she had some freedom. However I know of one person whose dog sleeps in a crate every night (and they've had him as long as we've had ours!)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We got our puppy in November and he was generally crate trained in a few days - i.e. he didn't bark or howl all night. The trick is to put them to bed and NOT go and see them when they bark etc. It's a few sleepless nights but it's worth it. That said, I was up at 1.30am this morning to take him out for a pee and then up again at 6.30am with him. It is hard work but worth it. I suspect I'm a similar age as you and it does knacker me out but if I think back a few months I realise how much he's progressed. Looking at booking gun dog training soon which should also help.

Good news then, by this time next week [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] will finally get some sleep.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Our neighbours paid silly money for a lockdown puppy in the winter just gone and crate trained it. We had 3 disturbed nights and then it was fine. They did buy us a takeaway to apologise so all good.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Should be fine GB - we got a 9 week old lab three weeks ago - after the first few nights she’s been good as gold, I’m ancient and do most of the ‘caring’ so I’m sure a youngster like you will be fine

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Our neighbours paid silly money for a lockdown puppy in the winter just gone and crate trained it. We had 3 disturbed nights and then it was fine. They did buy us a takeaway to apologise so all good.

The prices are silly - just pure greed. Thankfully we got our Springer from a decent breeder who didn't increase her prices. We were offered a German Shepherd puppy for £4k - strangely we didn't take the offer !

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Our doog is nearly 6, generally good in his crate/bed but not so recently, problem being he's been moved about a lot while building work is going on . . . . he seems quite happy on the sofa though!!!

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
We have a puppy, made the mistake of going to her when she barked in the middle of the night - we thought she needed a piss so let her out. We did this for a few nights but in the end the puppy didn't want to go out just wanted to play. So we changed tactics and didn't go to her when she barked - lasted 5 minutes of barking. Then she would bark in the morning, but we let this one ride out, the first morning of barking lasted 40 minutes, the second morning only 5 minutes. All trained within a week to 'sleep' through the night, about 10.30pm to 6am.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Depends on the breed, some are better than others. But crate training is essentially putting the puppy in a crate for a period of time (over night, during the day to rest) and leaving it. Some dogs are happy to do so. Others can be anxious, bark, whine etc. As others say the secret is to not go and see it, although keep in mind their bladders / bowels generally only have 3-4 hour capacity. After a couple of weeks they should be OK. Luckily our puppy likes his crate and has never made a noise except when he wants to go to the toilet or if he thinks we've had a lay in a bit to long ;-)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The prices are silly - just pure greed. Thankfully we got our Springer from a decent breeder who didn't increase her prices. We were offered a German Shepherd puppy for £4k - strangely we didn't take the offer !

Yeah less than £2k for a puppy is currently a bargain. Even kittens are going for £500+.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Our dog crate trained in one night essentially. Bung in toys, comfy stuff for it to lie on, a few dog treats, 2 cans of Stella and 10 B&H and you won't hear a peep out of them especially if its a Beagle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here