Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Norwich and Watford

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Kindly donated their parachute payments to help us buy a striker for next season .

Ta very much .

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I wonder if Norwich, Watford and Bournemouth will be stuck in some sort of perpetual loop between the PL and the Championship, such is the increasing financial gulf between the divisions.

All three would be favourites to go back down if promoted

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I wonder if Norwich, Watford and Bournemouth will be stuck in some sort of perpetual loop between the PL and the Championship, such is the increasing financial gulf between the divisions.

People have been saying this for a pretty long while but its still not really the case. Clubs come and go. This seasons scenario where all three might bounce back up immediatly is incredibly rare (if its even happened before?) despite the financial gulf being pretty big for a long while.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
People have been saying this for a pretty long while but its still not really the case. Clubs come and go. This seasons scenario where all three might bounce back up immediatly is incredibly rare (if its even happened before?) despite the financial gulf being pretty big for a long while.

It's not getting any smaller though is it.

The days of relegate teams struggling in the Championship seems to be coming to an end

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's not getting any smaller though is it.

The days of relegate teams struggling in the Championship seems to be coming to an end

Last season Huddersfield came 18th, just 3 points above relegation. But sure, if you only judge from this season it "might be coming to an end".

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Last season Huddersfield came 18th, just 3 points above relegation. But sure, if you only judge from this season it "might be coming to an end".

A lot of NSC noise is only based on last match, let alone last season. We beat Liverpool away. Yay, Potter is a genius. Can't wait till next season. We lose to Sheff Utd away. Fvck me, we're shite. Potter has no Plan B, they've taken 4 pts off us and they're virtually the worst Prem team ever. Potter is useless, Potter Out! Fortunately, some fans take a more measured view.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I've been saying for a while that I can see a time when the PL has 17 regular members and then six other teams that yo-yo between the two divisions.

The gap is widening all the time and, for all the celebrations about binning the European Super League, the domestic game could do with a bit of scrutiny at how it operates.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Or if you only judge it by one club it might not be.

There's a clear trend. Fewer relegated teams are struggling now than they were 5 or 10 years ago.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Norwich and Watford never overspend, so they've locked in two of those 6 yo-yo places. West Brom and Fulham are getting the message, Sheff Utd have been responsible.

I'd also say that both Burnley and Brighton spend responsibly and could easily come straight back up.

With clubs wising up to financial sustainability I think it puts lots of pressure on the Championship Play-Offs. Brentford have sold Maupay, Watkins and Benrahma so financially they are in a good place to be sustainable in the Prem - their accounts show a Balance Sheet surplus of £24 million, whereas Bournemouth are £120million in the red and need promotion more than most.

Sure, they have parachute payments for another year but they sold off most of the crown jewels last season in Ake, Wilson and Ramsdale, plus they've lost Fraser and Josh King on frees. I fancy they've got this season and next season to get promoted, or we may never see them in the top flight again.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Kindly donated their parachute payments to help us buy a striker for next season .

Ta very much .

It really pisses me off .. all Prem clubs get +4-5M windfall to piss away on another no name transfer or give ano another £30,000 a week when the need for financial help in L1 and beneath is so acute.

Caught the end of the same debate on Talksport earlier, so let's hope there is a move to try to correct some of the excesses of the PL

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Or if you only judge it by one club it might not be.

There's a clear trend. Fewer relegated teams are struggling now than they were 5 or 10 years ago.

There's not a clear trend. The only trend or pattern there is is "sometimes maybe shiet, sometimes maybe good".

Relegated 18/19
Fulham - 4th
Cardiff - 6th
Huddersfield - 18th

Relegated 17/18
WBA - 4th
Swansea - 10th
Stoke City - 16th

Relegated 16/17
Middlesbrough - 5th
Hull - 18th
Sunderland - 24th

Relegated 15/16
Newcastle - 1st
Norwich - 8th
Aston Villa - 13th

Relegated 14/15
Burnley - 1st
Hull - 4th
QPR - 12th

Relegated 13/14
Norwich - 3rd
Cardiff - 11th
Fulham - 17th

Relegated 12/13
QPR - 4th
Wigan - 5th
Reading - 7th

Relegated 11/12
Bolton - 7th
Blackburn - 17th
Wolves - 23rd

Relegated 10/11
West Ham - 3rd
Birmingham - 4th
Blackpool - 5th

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I agree. You might be able to say it's true of maybe a pool of 8 teams currently in the PL and maybe 8 teams in the Championship which would fall into a hinterland where they're likely to yo-yo over the course of maybe 4-5 seasons (a group we're definitely in, and I use the fact we were nearly there for a number of years prior to promotion), but to say it'll be these three teams is too narrow, and ignoring the potential for another PL team to have a shocker (I don't think anyone saw Sheffield United crashing and burning as spectacularly this season as they have).

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

This is exactly what is going to and has already happened - see also Fulham, West Brom and Sheffield United going down this season. The other perennial bottom half clubs like us, Southampton, Burnley and Palace benefit hugely from the stability and financial reward of a sustained period in the league.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
There's not a clear trend. The only trend or pattern there is is "sometimes maybe shiet, sometimes maybe good".

If you include this season where Bournemouth are guaranteed a play off place that means that 19 of the 30 teams relegated have been in contention for promotion or at least a play off place the following season, where as only 6 or 7 have had seasons of struggle (and only 2 have suffered back to back relegations).

That is just under 2/3rds of relegated sides as contenders for promotion the following season, quite a significant amount and enough to say there is more chance that a relegated side will be in with a good chance of at least being in the hunt for promotion. It's not enough to say they'll be coming straight back up, but more than enough to expect the relegated sides to be in the mix at the top end.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If you include this season where Bournemouth are guaranteed a play off place that means that 19 of the 30 teams relegated have been in contention for promotion or at least a play off place the following season, where as only 6 or 7 have had seasons of struggle (and only 2 have suffered back to back relegations).

That is just under 2/3rds of relegated sides as contenders for promotion the following season, quite a significant amount and enough to say there is more chance that a relegated side will be in with a good chance of at least being in the hunt for promotion. It's not enough to say they'll be coming straight back up, but more than enough to expect the relegated sides to be in the mix at the top end.

Yes, but that is an entirely different topic.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Ta very much .

Which we'll spend on a striker from league 2, a ridiculously overpriced player from the middle reaches of the Dutch league, 3 players from Eastern Europe who will get loaned back to their original club, a couple from South America with no work permits, and a couple more centre halves. Just what we need.
:lolol: :tantrum: :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here