Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Bus hits Bridge

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
How does this happen so regularly?

This morning a double decker has ripped his roof off on Rocky Lane just north of Burgess Hill.

Road closed.

Bus driver must have had a brain fade. I hope he had no passengers upstairs

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's easily done, bus / truck drivers that drive a variety of vehicles, do forget height / width / weight, and shit happens.
There's a low rail bridge up here in South Ruislip, with dents from vehicle hits, what doesn't help is the over height warning sign regularly flashes, even though there is no large vehicle in the area.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
That looks like something was coming the other way and the bus had to move over out from the safety lines in the middle of the road , I reckon the bus would of fitted under the middle of the bridge without losing its lid .

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think I'm right in saying that's the second time in a week that bridge has been struck

SAC

May 21, 2014
That looks like something was coming the other way and the bus had to move over out from the safety lines in the middle of the road , I reckon the bus would of fitted under the middle of the bridge without losing its lid .

Exactly. If someone is driving at you it's 2nd nature to move out of the way, forgetting that there isn't height room for you to do so.

However, if there wasn't anything coming towards the bus, there really is no excuse.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I think this sort of thing justifies why train drivers get paid so much more than bus drivers. You never hear about trains getting stuck under bridges, do you? ???

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patreon
Aug 24, 2020
Buses should be fitted with automatic (telematics) braking systems that operate if an obstacle lower than the vehicle height is encountered. The technology is surely already in place for driverless vehicles. It could save lives.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think this sort of thing justifies why train drivers get paid so much more than bus drivers. You never hear about trains getting stuck under bridges, do you? ???

They don't weave about either, or pull out on you.

Still jump lights though.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Buses should be fitted with automatic (telematics) braking systems that operate if an obstacle lower than the vehicle height is encountered. The technology is surely already in place for driverless vehicles. It could save lives.

given they're mostly empty they may as well just be mini buses, electric too.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
It's easily done, bus / truck drivers that drive a variety of vehicles, do forget height / width / weight, and shit happens.
There's a low rail bridge up here in South Ruislip, with dents from vehicle hits, what doesn't help is the over height warning sign regularly flashes, even though there is no large vehicle in the area.

That’s it

Drivers union blames the bridges for being to low !!! :)

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
given they're mostly empty they may as well just be mini buses, electric too.

Electric? Pah! Here comes the Number 40 now...

.jpg

Edit: On a Rocky Lane...!

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Oh well, it means that Metrobus can cancel their order for a new open top bus now, they have just converted one from their current fleet, for free.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There are around 1,800 incidents of vehicles hitting bridges every year in the UK. So it's probably more common than a lot of people think.

Odd that its two bus roofs around these parts in the space of a week. Buses typically stick to the same routes, which typically don't have any height restrictions to the point of them being a potential impact...

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
A lot of the time it's down to complacent drivers and diversions. Causes a right pain in the arse for Network Rail as they have to make compensation payments to train operators if they're not able to run services and claiming the money back off the perpetrators is more lengthy/complicated than it should be to my knowledge.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
How does this happen so regularly?

This morning a double decker has ripped his roof off on Rocky Lane just north of Burgess Hill.

Road closed.

Bus driver must have had a brain fade. I hope he had no passengers upstairs
The usual bus route is shut seemingly !

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here