Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I know bloody awful.
I've never understood why we've just not sent in special forces and got her across the border

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I know bloody awful.
I've never understood why we've just not sent in special forces and got her across the border

It would certainly be justified, but whether it's practical I'm not so sure. Shocking treatment of the poor woman - and her family - by a spiteful and despicable regime.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I know bloody awful.

It would certainly be justified, but whether it's practical I'm not so sure. Shocking treatment of the poor woman - and her family - by a spiteful and despicable regime.

Seems like a good idea- excepting that it would spell disaster for other dual nationals in a similar situation. The Iranian regime doesn't play fair.

I'm just reminded of Johnson's stupid gaff a few years ago where she is concerned. Then again, it's Teflon, so it doesn't matter.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Seems like a good idea- excepting that it would spell disaster for other dual nationals in a similar situation. The Iranian regime doesn't play fair.

I'm just reminded of Johnson's stupid gaff a few years ago where she is concerned. Then again, it's Teflon, so it doesn't matter.

When Johnson as Foreign Secretary got involved to diplomatically get her released or reduce her sentence they extended it and have now given her another year in the boo.
Great going right there.
How did this ever come about in the first place though, a teacher arrested at the airport as a spy from, as far as I can tell, no evidence, but even in Greece a few years ago, tourists were arrested for spying but they were plane spotting, you have to be careful when in certain countries.
In my opinion she is no more a spy than I am.
But somehow she is still there, dreadful chain of events.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Pay Iran the £400m FFS. It’s not like we actually don’t owe them that, who is the pariah state here? Sentencing coincided with the hearing to pay back what we owe Iran being postponed for an 11th time.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Agreed. And the Iranian government isn’t much better.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Pay Iran the £400m FFS. It’s not like we actually don’t owe them that, who is the pariah state here? Sentencing coincided with the hearing to pay back what we owe Iran being postponed for an 11th time.

the one that imprisons individuals as hostages against a state debt.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I know bloody awful.

I get the idea. But she has family there as well. You'd have to get the whole family out and that
isn't trivial.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I know bloody awful.

I guess because then we'd have lost a special forces unit which the Iranian government could you for political leverage.

They're not a bunch of muppets the Iranians

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed. And the Iranian government isn’t much better.

I was of course referring to the despicable government of Iran, ruling its country on the doctrines of a misogynist and cruel religion, but I realise I left an open goal for those who prefer to knock the British government wherever possible, whether it's doing right or wrong.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I get the idea. But she has family there as well. You'd have to get the whole family out and that
isn't trivial.

Yep. And even if we did get them all out the regime would simply round up other vulnerable people and hold THEM hostage. Paying them what we owe them is probably the only way to resolve this. At least we could dress it up as not paying ransom to terrorists, just settling an outstanding financial dispute. Meanwhile this poor lady and her family continue to suffer.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I was of course referring to the despicable government of Iran, ruling its country on the doctrines of a misogynist and cruel religion, but I realise I left an open goal for those who prefer to knock the British government wherever possible, whether it's doing right or wrong.

TBF they leave a few themselves

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Awful for the family. But that's the Iranian regime for you.

Shame really as Iran is an interesting and beautiful country. Lived in Teheran as a child back in the days of the Shah ( 1976-79) as my Dad was a diplomat with the British Embassy ( Foreign Office ). Fond memories of the country and where I learnt to Ski !!!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

A simple tap in, when the Foreign Secretary! threw out a casual remark that Nazinin was there to teach journalism, when she was just visiting family.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I know bloody awful.

Operation Eagle Claw?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here