Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] U-23's retain/release announcement

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Under-23s retained and released list confirmed

Somewhat surprised that Danny Cashman and Stefan Vukoje have been released. It has already been mentioned on here that Gwargis was on his way, goalkeeper Roco Rees is surplus to requirements and you have to feel sorry for Kipras Kazukolovas who hasn't played since September 9 2017 due to an ACL injury that required three surgeries. His four-year spell at Albion saw him make two starts and only three appearances in total.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Cashman? - wow! He's one I wouldn't have minded getting on the bench for a couple of our last five games, with maybe a five-ten minute appearance. Will follow his progress with interest - his close control looks a bit special.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Cashman must have a deal lined up elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you suggesting we wanted him to stay, but he rejected our terms?

If so, that simply isn't true, as when he signed a one-year contract last August it was specifically stated that the club had a further one-year option.

He has been released, simple as that.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I'm glad to see Marc Leonard offered a new contract, there has been lots of reports that Swansea and Sunderland interested but weirdly they said we were releasing him. I have also seen reports that Chelsea are interested in Moran.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Good luck to them all. I hope they get themselves contracts elsewhere.

Poor lads must be gutted.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm surprised that there wasn't a mention in that article of Jack Wakely, who has been on loan from Chelsea. I assume that implies he won't be offered a deal*.

*Awaits article to appear on the club website in the next five minutes announcing his signature on a three-year deal.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Danny Cashman is very unlucky there. I'm sure he'll get a club soon, a real livewire.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Always a shame to see the youngsters get released, but I'm sure it won't be the end of the road for some of these lads.

I guess regarding Cashman, the thought is that between Emmerson, Ferguson and Tolaj, there are others in the striking department with potentially a higher ceiling? Similar for Wakely, with the emergence of Turns, Tsoungui to come back from injury and Offiah impressing at U18s.

I'm always a little surprised at how many goalies we seem to like to retain. Rushworth is the clear U23 number one, with McGill having been out on loan at Crawley as their backup keeper, not playing. But Desbois hasnt had much of a look in this year and the likes of Bull and Talley are playing in the U18s potentially to step up.

Exciting to have so much talent in the junior ranks, and I look forward to seeing where some of the lads head out to on loan next season. Maybe a few more off to Belgium now that Union SG are in the top flight?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

If so, that simply isn't true, as when he signed a one-year contract last August it was specifically stated that the club had a further one-year option.

[tweet]1385985595986563076[/tweet]

Must've had an idea ???

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

He scores goals, so why would we need him? It might have been different had he been a centre half but no doubt the club knows best.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He scores goals for the U23s, so why would we need him? It might have been different had he been a centre half but no doubt the club knows best.

corrected for you. massive jump to PL as we have seen with Connolly. I'd prefer to see that first team space filled by a high calibre forward than someone who showed promise in the U23s. I hope Cashman gets a club and does well.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Cashman and Rees being released has really surprised me as both have had great seasons. Though the reasons for the release aren't just "are they good enough?" but also "who else do we already have in that position?" and how do they fit in with the rest of the squad.

Tom McGill has got to be feeling hopeful what with Christian Walton moving on now.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I have no issue with releasing players. But why not loan someone like Cashman out? Give him some competitive football then judge. I mean if he bangs in 15 goals somewhere that would make the decision easier.

I trust the club and staff completely, but am slightly surprised as he looked (from brief highlights albeit) like a promising player.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
By my reckoning, that leaves Alex Cochrane, Leo Ostigard and Taylor Richards as the only non-first-team squad players who are out of contract this summer.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
By my reckoning, that leaves Alex Cochrane, Leo Ostigard and Taylor Richards as the only non-first-team squad players who are out of contract this summer.

Coventry fans like Ostigard and are keen for him to get signed next season (along with Gyokeres too).

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Cashman and Rees being released has really surprised me as both have had great seasons. Though the reasons for the release aren't just "are they good enough?" but also "who else do we already have in that position?" and how do they fit in with the rest of the squad.

Tom McGill has got to be feeling hopeful what with Christian Walton moving on now.

Curious statement - Rees hasn't played since early November.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here