Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alternative history

The Storer and Reinelt chances in 1997 fall to Neal Maupay. Do we stay in the League?

• Yes

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 61.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Neal Maupay falls through a wormhole in time and ends up playing for Albion in 1997. The Storer and Reinelt chances both fall to him.

Do we stay in the Football League?

Yes, because with Maupay in our side that season, neither of those specific results would have mattered.

We were a shit side, at the shitty end of an absolutely shit division. Maupay would have scored about 35 and we'd be top half.

Strange question.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, because with Maupay in our side that season, neither of those specific results would have mattered.

We were a shit side, at the shitty end of an absolutely shit division. Maupay would have scored about 35 and we'd be top half.

Strange question.

Also, isn't he getting enough pelters at the moment without us having to invent hypothetical scenarios in which to slag him off further?!

And yes, this is all getting a bit silly. He'd be one of the absolute best players to have played in League Two in the late 90s, if he was dropped back there.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we had had Maupay instead of Storer or Reinelt we wouldn’t even have been in the relegation zone. Fact. He would have been the best player in the division by a country mile and transferred out to a Division One club as soon as possible.

Does anyone really believe that either of them were even half as good as Maupay?

Christ, he really is the current scapegoat isn’t he?

FFS

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Strange question.

Sadly I don't think it is a strange question. Not on NSC anymore, anyway. It's emblematic of the depths this once great website has sunk to in recent times. I really hope it's just a consequence of covid-19 and its lock downs and the stresses and the strains its put everyone under but this place has become an increasingly, negative, bitter, argumentative and divided website. Everything is polarised and so many threads are seemingly designed to stoke that polarisation.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Neal Maupay falls through a wormhole in time and ends up playing for Albion in 1997. The Storer and Reinelt chances both fall to him.

Do we stay in the Football League?

This is only a useful question to draw comparisons with Craig Maskell. Obviously Maupay is a much better player, but Maskell scored some useful goals that season, without really winning the crowd over and Reinelt scored after Maskell hit the post.

We started that season with Baird and Maskell as a strike partnership and very little back up. Baird then missed most of the second half of the season leaving Maskell to labour on leading the line, which was not really his strong point. Maskell wasn't big on heading the ball, or particularly quick, he was a decent lower league finishert hough over the course of his career.

Reinelt was more comfortable in midfield, where he did at least like to shoot (not always on target I might add). Fortunately he came good when it mattered.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yeh, add my voices to those saying that this is ridiculous.

Maupay would have looked like Messi in that division at that time

Maybe he'll come good and take us forward, maybe he won't

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
As the average premier league player in 1997 would be a championship player today, so as Maupay is an excellent championship player he would be scoring for fun in League 2

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Sadly I don't think it is a strange question. Not on NSC anymore, anyway. It's emblematic of the depths this once great website has sunk to in recent times. I really hope it's just a consequence of covid-19 and its lock downs and the stresses and the strains its put everyone under but this place has become an increasingly, negative, bitter, argumentative and divided website. Everything is polarised and so many threads are seemingly designed to stoke that polarisation.

Or it's great that the OP has come up with an imaginative thread, that's different :thumbsup:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What next in similar threads, Potter falls through a wormhole would we have stayed up (in any relegation year), or Zamora time travels to 1979 would we have stormed Division One scoring goals for fun, and then dominating Europe for a decade

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
This is ridiculous. He wasn't even 1. In that league, aged 8 months... he probably didn't know how to walk at that point.

On a serious note; I know we absolutely love a scapegoat, but think it's time for people to leave Neal alone. He's set to score 10 again for this season. Only Chris Wood and Danny Ings have done that in 19/20 and 20/21. Gain some perspective lads.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Or it's great that the OP has come up with an imaginative thread, that's different :thumbsup:

Maybe.

If there weren't already threads slagging off Maupay and dozens of other threads slagging off other players and the manager I might share your view. It's certainly an imaginative way to have a dig at a player but it isn't different in its essence, it's still looking to slaughter him.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Maybe.

If there weren't already threads slagging off Maupay and dozens of other threads slagging off other players and the manager I might share your view. It's certainly an imaginative way to have a dig at a player but it isn't different in its essence, it's still looking to slaughter him.

It's typical of NSC to always look at the negative side of things in a thread that maybe or maybe not aimed at a players period of not scoring.
I always try to look at things humorously, never to demean, whatever the case :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here