Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Perfect Roast Chicken

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Don't want to think about the football, so for the chefs of NSC.

Roast Chicken is particularly difficult to get right. I'd argue it's by far the most difficult "joint" of meat to get right because of the very different properties of cuts of meat on a bird.

So tips below:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's the easiest thing to cook, all you have to do is whatever Simon Hopkinson tells you to do.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
if you’ve access to a BBQ - cook it as a beer can recipe

make yourself a nice rub, oil the skin with some olive oil, spread the rub all over.

Take half a can of good beer, drink the rest. shove the half empty can up it’s arris, and stand upright on the grill. Close the lid.

once cooked you will have the most moist, spicy delicious bird ever.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's the easiest thing to cook, all you have to do is whatever Simon Hopkinson tells you to do.

I'd argue it's the most difficult thing to cook. With any other "joint" of meat you all you need is a thermometer and a bit of resting time. However with a chicken you are effectively dealing with three very different joints of meat in one. The breast, leg and thigh which technically require very different cooking times and have very different fat content.

A chicken isn't easy to get right.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You also have the crispy skin factor, which requires heat but is attached mostly to the breast which can easily dry out.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Just buy breasts, cover them in bacon - and roast them. Does away with the differing times mentioned above, and does away with all that fiddly getting off the bone nonsense.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just buy breasts, cover them in bacon - and roast them. Does away with the differing times mentioned above, and does away with all that fiddly getting off the bone nonsense.

Break the rules here I'm afraid albeit very tasty. You are cooking a whole chicken on the bone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd argue it's the most difficult thing to cook. With any other "joint" of meat you all you need is a thermometer and a bit of resting time. However with a chicken you are effectively dealing with three very different joints of meat in one. The breast, leg and thigh which technically require very different cooking times and have very different fat content.

A chicken isn't easy to get right.

No it isn't which is why you do what Simon tells you to do when Simon tells you to do it.

It may well be rocket science to us, but it ain't to him.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No it isn't which is why you do what Simon tells you to do when Simon tells you to do it.

It may well be rocket science to us, but it ain't to him.

I am aware of his method, it's similar to a number of others that in my opinion leaves the chicken with flabby thighs that are cooked, but could do with another 20 minutes on their own.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am aware of his method, it's similar to a number of others that in my opinion leaves the chicken with flabby thighs that are cooked, but could do with another 20 minutes on their own.

Well if you're going to take against flabby thighs I'm out! :lol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've done one today. Moist breast, cooked leg, crisp skin.

Firstly UNTIE it. Cut that string right off. Heat gets round it quicker and more evenly with the hole fully open. Although stuff that hole with a small lemon half and a few sprigs of thyme. Rub the outside with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Stick a large (over 1.8kg) one in for 90 mins at gas 6 / 200c. A smaller one for 75 mins at the same temperature. When done REST it. Do not even think of carving for at least 15 minutes. And rest it somewhere warm and uncovered - you don't want to put foil on that skin.

You're welcome.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Like with many things, the quality of the raw material counts for a lot with chicken.

Bog standard supermarket chickens are intensively reared to slaughter weight in an eye-boggling short time frame and very high in water content. The free range options cook far better and have massively superior flavour.

This is so blindingly obvious I’m really not sure why I’m wasting mine and everybody else’s time posting it. Sorry.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Like with many things, the quality of the raw material counts for a lot with chicken.

Bog standard supermarket chickens are intensively reared to slaughter weight in an eye-boggling short time frame and very high in water content. The free range options cook far better and have massively superior flavour.

This is so blindingly obvious I’m really not sure why I’m wasting mine and everybody else’s time posting it. Sorry.

Because it's true. Free range (and preferably organic) should be a given.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I've done one today. Moist breast, cooked leg, crisp skin.

Firstly UNTIE it. Cut that string right off. Heat gets round it quicker and more evenly with the hole fully open....stuff that hole with a small lemon....

Do you write the autocue for Nigella?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here