Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is anyone else pissed off...

This is me

Sep 15, 2013
... with all this anti Potter shit...*

* and, no I didn't need to start another thread, but if all the half wits can do it, why can't I?

I will bite. Potter is paid a huge salary. We are no longer in the lower leagues - so yes, it is about results first, results second & then I would suggest performances. Boy would we settle for boring 1-0 wins, well I would.

I doubt Bloom will be content with 17th in the Premier League. Does Potter deserve a pat on the back? A kick up the backside? More support?

As fans we are frustrated & rightfully so. There have been glimmers of improvement but failing to land an average Premier League forward has cost us.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes. It’s a long term project, with a manager who has completely changed the style of play, has never managed at such a high level before and to a degree is still learning, with a very young squad who are also learning. Progress is being made, and being made in style. Judge Potter in a few years time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I will bite. Potter is paid a huge salary. We are no longer in the lower leagues - so yes, it is about results first, results second & then I would suggest performances. Boy would we settle for boring 1-0 wins, well I would.

I doubt Bloom will be content with 17th in the Premier League. Does Potter deserve a pat on the back? A kick up the backside? More support?

As fans we are frustrated & rightfully so. There have been glimmers of improvement but failing to land an average Premier League forward has cost us.

More support.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Yes I am. Based on the football we have played this season with the players at his disposal, he is the best coach we have ever had. Cases can be made for managers who have achieved more in terms of winning things and divisional positions, but Potter is a fantastic highly regarded young coach. We are fortunate the board identified his potential to turn over the old guard, integrate younger multi national players and introduce an attractive entertaining playing style that can beat any team in the Premier League on a good day. I don't think the anti Potter brigade will influence him, but I would be angry if they did and he decided the grass is greener elsewhere.

Happy Exile

NSC Patreon
Apr 19, 2018
Three times this week I've heard pundits / read pundits talk about "if Brighton can hold onto Potter" after this season is over. That's an interesting perspective and shows the attention he's attracting.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Meh. Nothing unique for Brighton, Potter or 2021... its always been like this. "Game lost, manager out!"

Its silly but understandable. Its also much easier than saying "game lost, players out!". Everyone knows that they wouldnt do better than any player, its obvious. Its not so obvious what a manager really do, making people think "meh, cant be that difficult...". In reality, any manager managing a team at this level and getting even one single point is quite competent. Even Steve Bruce. People would look equally lost trying to arrange a training session or tactically preparing for a game as they would look lost trying to replace Lewis Dunk or Yves Bissouma.

But its just how humans function, theoretical/abstract work always seems a lot easier than it is. Just look at the pandemic were we suddenly had a couple of billion epidemiologists all over the place.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017

He needs more support and specifically he needs two new Premier League Quality strikers. We can all see it and so will Potter and Tony. Everything else is excellent at the moment, keeper, defensive record, chance creation, structure, fluidity. One thing is missing and unless we support him with the right players we can’t expect anything different.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Potter was employed specifically to:

- Keep us in the Premier League - PASSED
- Bring through young players rather than rely on the transfer market - PASSED
- Play a more entertaining brand of football - PASSED.

Suspect Bloom is delighted with how he's doing, just as most of us are.

Yes. It’s a long term project, with a manager who has completely changed the style of play, has never managed at such a high level before and to a degree is still learning, with a very young squad who are also learning. Progress is being made, and being made in style. Judge Potter in a few years time.

Agree. Some (not many to be fair, and outweighed by a lot of very decent ones) frustrating performances and several hugely frustrating results doesn’t necessarily mean things aren’t heading in the right direction in line with Tony’s plans and ambitions - I think they are. Feels a bit ‘so near yet so far’ this season - think TB will be looking for visible progress in the table next season. Been a bit unlucky to lose both first choice wingbacks for a large chunk of the season, and the striker issue obviously needs to be addressed but positives outweigh the frustrations for me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree. Some (not many to be fair, and outweighed by a lot of very decent ones) frustrating performances and several hugely frustrating results doesn’t necessarily mean things aren’t heading in the right direction in line with Tony’s plans and ambitions - I think they are. Feels a bit ‘so near yet so far’ this season - think TB will be looking for visible progress in the table next season. Been a bit unlucky to lose both first choice wingbacks for a large chunk of the season, and the striker issue obviously needs to be addressed but positives outweigh the frustrations for me.

Agree.

And you make a good point about first choice wingbacks. Both were two of our most exciting and/or consistent contributors before they were injured.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Potter is like a prism. Once the results shine through, you can see all the different types of fans we have, each type having just as much right to support the club as the next. Some like a beer, some like a pie, some like great defending, others are frightened unless they are in a mob and pine for the hooliganism of the 70’s & 80’s. We are all different. Fortunately, the fan that counts (club owner) is the best sort of fan possible in my opinion.

I understand the emotion but it get’s weird when the Potter-Out-Campaign claim anything more than results and home record are driving their decisions. They want managers with ‘passion’, managers who use emotion to make decisions rather than logic and emotive evidence, I’m all for the fans being emotional and passionate but Tony tried that with Poyet and we’ll never have a visibly ‘passionate’ manager again thank god, or else we’d be down before the anti-manager brigade (same short-termist people with whatever manager we have) can say ‘he’s all passion and no brains! ****** out!’.

Players have let (probably) our best ever manager down by missing chance after chance. I hope that he is supported in rectifying this in the summer, if so, the football he drills into the squad will see us as an established top 10 team from next season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's me thinking this thread was going to be:-

Is anyone else pissed off...

...with social media posts saying words to the effect of 'tough loss last night, back stronger for the next game'.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Take care to separate:

a) The posts of people who’ve loathed Potter from day one for various reasons. Some think that Brighton 0-5 Bmuff, Brighton 0-2 Cardiff, Brighton 1-3 Burnley and being taught football lessons by all three, was acceptable. From

b) Heart on their sleeve supporters who’re sick and tired of 4 seasons of bobbling along on the edge of relegation, of wins being a rarity. That’s wholly understandable. They’re no lesser supporters than people who deem it taboo to ever criticise.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I think the problem is that there is a vocal minority that are Potter out.

There is a vocal minority that think Potter is the messiah and will leave for a top 6 job this summer.

Then the majority sit somewhere in the middle, who think Potter is a good manager but overall has us underperforming in terms of points.

When those of us in the middle say anything that can be construed as anti-Potter, the Potter disciples fire back with force which then riles the Potter outs and those on the fence.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
As fans we are frustrated & rightfully so.

When you say "as fans we are frustrated..." do you mean Albion fans collectively, or do you mean you and your two other NSC accounts?

Why don't you post this on your regular account? Odd.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

More support...

Better strikers...

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
He needs more support and specifically he needs two new Premier League Quality strikers. We can all see it and so will Potter and Tony. Everything else is excellent at the moment, keeper, defensive record, chance creation, structure, fluidity. One thing is missing and unless we support him with the right players we can’t expect anything different.

Pretty much this. The amount of teams I’ve watched through the years devoid of ideas, not to playing for their manager and getting hammered every game shows me that we’re not anywhere near that level and the squad looks full of confidence at the moment (apart from perhaps Maupay).

Yes results haven’t gone our way on a lot of occasions and our play has been frustrating more often than not, but we’ve also had some great results and dominated sides.

I firmly believe with upgrades in the attacking positions we’ll be ok next season. Obv need to get through the next few games first.

And.. back to the wine!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
For me I am caught between thinking we are on the verge of something very good to maybe we are all a bit fur coat and no knickers. The latter is mainly down to an all too frequent occurrence of losing points in games we have largely controlled that cannot simply be put down to bad luck.

But this is all against a backdrop of empty stadiums where it has been easier to get points away from home and players who have let the manager down by being woeful in front of goal.

I just want this season to end see what happens with ins and outs this summer and then reset for next season. We will learn far more about Potter after another summer window and a season with fans back in grounds. If the same problems still exist then that is the time for a rethink not after this batshit mental season that just needs to end.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Potter was employed specifically to:

- Keep us in the Premier League - PASSED
- Bring through young players rather than rely on the transfer market - PASSED
- Play a more entertaining brand of football - PASSED.

Suspect Bloom is delighted with how he's doing, just as most of us are.

Not so sure about item 2 - Alzate and Connolly are going backwards , The polish right back and Zeqiri not being given time , MacAlister pushed down the pecking order by Llana...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here