Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The ESL may be gone for now but other changes are bad for the other 14

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Even though the ESL has been headed off for now, football authorities have moved further down the slippery slope to European football taking precedence over domestic football.

The new, agreed, Champions league format means that 4 additional clubs will be in the Champions League and all clubs will play at least 4 more games than they currently do. I haven't quite figured it out but think that some will play even more extra games than that. Two of the extra spots will go to teams that didn't qualify but meet the ESL's criteria of ' we used to be good and we need the money so we deserve to play every year '.

The extra games will put even more pressure on scheduling the Premier League games and will mean that us other 14 will have more crappy kickoff days and times. 3.00 on a Saturday will become an even rarer treat.

Apparently the Europa League is also going to make similar changes to their format, piling it on a bit more.

As discussed on another thread, Moyes and others are now talking about splitting the Prem into two divisions which just basically means that there will be less teams in the Prem, probably 18. If this gains any traction then we now have even less games.

A poll on NSC showed that about 60% of us have almost no interest in the Champions League. I would imagine that the same 60% have no interest in any European football. Of course that would change if the Albion were to get there because then we would have a reason to be interested but surely domestic football is where our biggest interest lies.

The other 14 clubs will be split on all of this ( Moyes clearly already is ). I just hope that the possibility of a regulator and fan representation will allow all clubs in the Prem and EFL to have their say and be listened to.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My thoughts about the struggles for the other 14 is really :schelotto:

The changes are going to favor teams in the top 5 leagues and make it harder for teams outside of those to get into the CL. English teams are one of the big winners from these changes. Guess its unfortunate with those extra four games but there's a couple of hundred other teams in Europe that would gladly add them as a season in the CL could fund a smaller club for five or ten years.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Moyes getting a bit cocky now he’s having a good season right?

I can’t stand that club. I’ve worked with a Mile Oak plastic Hammer and a brother in law was a Southend based faux Hammer ... both loathed and sneered at Brighton.

They’ve benefitted from a load of clubs having crazy results this season. Hopefully they never make the CL.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Having a Premier League 1 & 2 is a good idea. Not for us at the moment, but for all the aspiring Championship clubs, AS LONG as the Premier League money is shared amongst them.

Also I have no issue with the extra European matches - as the extra fixtures will be a burden for those involved, opening up an advantage to those who aren't competing and will play fewer games in the season? I would suggest the FA makes the season a week or two longer though.

And do you think the 14 'other' clubs will vote to dilute what money they currently get?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My thoughts about the struggles for the other 14 is really :schelotto:

The changes are going to favor teams in the top 5 leagues and make it harder for teams outside of those to get into the CL. English teams are one of the big winners from these changes. Guess its unfortunate with those extra four games but there's a couple of hundred other teams in Europe that would gladly add them as a season in the CL could fund a smaller club for five or ten years.

English teams will be the big winners - yet will moan about the number of games their poor weary players have to play, how it's not fair and all that. FFS! - you campaigned and pestered for changes that bring about more games!.

Klopp has had a moan about this already - although in his case I think it's fair to say he isn't in favour of the ESL or the Champions League changes, and is genuinely concerned about yet more matches being crammed into the schedule.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The ridiculous kick off times is a big issue.

There is no routine any more. The Prem schedule games when they like, so not only was last night a shit result but it was also played at a time that should be spent with friends and family.

And in all of this, spare a thought for the Amex groundstaff who are preparing pitches for everyday of the week, not just for the 1st XI either.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Full details in case not seen

Taking the total number of teams from 32 to 36 in the UEFA Champions League, the biggest change will see a transformation from the traditional group stage to a single league stage including all participating teams. Every club will now be guaranteed a minimum of 10 league stage games against 10 different opponents (five home games, five away) rather than the previous six matches against three teams, played on a home and away basis.

The top eight sides in the league will qualify automatically for the knockout stage, while the teams finishing in ninth to 24th place will compete in a two-legged play-off to secure their path to the last 16 of the competition.

Similar format changes will also be applied to the UEFA Europa League (8 matches in the league stage) and UEFA Europa Conference League (6 matches in the league stage). Subject to further discussions and agreements, these two competitions may also be expanded to a total of 36 teams each in the league stage.

Qualification for the UEFA Champions League will continue to be open and earned through a team’s performance in domestic competitions.

One of the additional places will go to the club ranked third in the championship of the association in fifth position in the UEFA national association ranking. Another will be awarded to a domestic champion by extending from four to five the number of clubs qualifying via the so-called “Champions Path”.

The final two places will go to the clubs with the highest club coefficient over the last five years that have not qualified for the Champions League group stage but have qualified either for the Champions League qualification phase, the Europa League or the Europa Conference League.

All games before the final will still be played midweek, recognising the importance of the domestic calendar of games across Europe.

Not quite we're useless now and need the money on the last two places as still need to finish high in the PL to get in, but it does favour clubs who have previously done well, as they continue to get CL points to keep their coefficient up, to assist them staying in the CL.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
For me the differing kick offs are a big positive. I actually prefer the later kick off times to Saturday 3pm.

Saturday 3pm takes away your whole Saturday, whereas the evening kick offs you can still do something else with your day. Not a fan of the 12pm kick offs though.

That seems to me to epitomise the true plastic.
“Not a fan of the Saturday 3’clock kick off as it takes away your whole Saturday...”
Give me strength.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've got an idea to revamp european club football stuff.

1. A champions' league that is simply that. Champions only play every other like club home and away with the top 4 having a play off style finale. On Wednesdays
2. I dunno, two or three clubs from each country having mini leagues and then a knock out phase. On Thursdays.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Life time supporting the Albion - missed a handful of home games at Withdean throughout the entire time we were there...

...and I'm a plastic because I prefer evening kick offs?

Give ME strength!

Mustafa, it’s not about games, programmes you have in the attic etc, it’s about mentality.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
For me the differing kick offs are a big positive. I actually prefer the later kick off times to Saturday 3pm.

Saturday 3pm takes away your whole Saturday, whereas the evening kick offs you can still do something else with your day. Not a fan of the 12pm kick offs though.

By the same token, I like away games where I can still do something else with my Sunday.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Well I mentally prefer evening kick offs. If it was up to me, all our games would kick off in the evening. Used to love late kick offs at Withdean and I still love them now. Why is that the wrong mentality?

Considering everything that’s gone on this week I would have thought it was obvious.
Football for me was standing on the Kop with my dad in the pen with my dad in the late 60’s, then getting off at Hove with my uncle to follow the Albion in the early 70’s.
Evening games were listening to the reds on the radio.... it was simply tradition.
None 3 o’clock kick offs remind me of sky tv, ridiculous ticket prices, overseas owners....
Old fashioned I know, but that’s what I mean about mentality.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
To be fair, that's a nice post.

But it does sound like you just like Saturday 3pm kick offs because tradition and nostalgia.

For me, evening kick offs are just more practical & enjoyable. Get to have a drink in the evening and do something with the day before the football.

Well, I’m old so I’m allowed some nostalgia!
Your probably right, my love of the Albion started in the Three Crowns East Preston ( Now flats apparently),
Train to Hove into the Seagull tavern, past the away end into the East corner. After the game, down the chippy, back home, quick change, back to Worthing and the Thieves Kitchen then on to Brighton to Sherry’s.
Late kick offs just couldn’t compete !

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
For me, evening kick offs are just more practical & enjoyable. Get to have a drink in the evening and do something with the day before the football.

I'm going to guess you've never got home just in time for breakfast from an away game up north, and suffered the joys of overnight motorway roadworks which slow your journey times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here