Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Old Firm to Premier League

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I saw David Moyes touting this the other day too. His suggestion was a 2-tier Premier League, with Celtic and Rangers joining the 2nd tier. I think he also suggested the other clubs could become part of a Britain-wide pyramid.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the only people who want this are the press, as a story to run. Celtic and Rangers dont want it, miss out on virtual automatic European football, leave Scottish Football Association. English clubs dont want it. FA wont let them jump the leagues straight to EPL. never going to happen.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
the only people who want this are the press, as a story to run. Celtic and Rangers dont want it, miss out on virtual automatic European football, leave Scottish Football Association? English clubs dont want it. FA wont let them jump the leagues straight to EPL.

Rangers and Celtic do want it.

They have huge support and with the vast riches of EPL money, they'd very soon be amongst the top clubs.

theboybilly

A 'Britain-wide' pyramid? With a system whereby a lowly Devon club could end up having to play midweek in Fife? Come on, that's never going to happen. Clubs couldn't afford those sort of travel bills. Can we not just put this, Celtic-Rangers nonsense to bed. I would hate them being in our league. If it happened I would throw the towel in and go and watch Worthing or Lewes

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Would be the Scottish equivalent of the European Super League. And would be equally reviled for all the same reasons

I'd love to see it, always have, but it will never happen.

Bet the police wouldn't want it. Not an anti Scottish statement, I love Scotland, but Rangers and Celtic have such vast followings, legions would turn up in cities for weekend games just for the craic.

They did this when there were friendlies south of the border.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Like The Premier League want to broadcast sectarian bile every week around the world. :rolleyes:

Leave them to play Strathcarnage, Bumblewick Thistle and Taste of Dunfermline etc like they've always done.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Knock on effect to having a UK team rather than the 4 nations, the death of professional football in Scotland, and who would the Scottish teams replace and why are they more deserving.

Non starter, and I fail to see why Moyes would raise this at the same time as the fall out under the ESL.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Like The Premier League want to broadcast sectarian bile every week around the world. :rolleyes:

Leave them to play Strathcarnage, Bumblewick Thistle and Taste of Dunfermline etc like they've always done.

Oh, and Celtic being the first British club to win the European Cup when it actually meant something ( beating a superstar-studded ManU side by a year)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Suggested as part of the fall out from 'operation selfish wankers'.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp.../rangers-celtic-premier-league-villa-20440388

I think that if they are coming in they need to either start in the championship or 'qualify' by being involved in the playoffs.

The ESL was set up to only benefit the clubs involved, with no regard to the futures of other clubs that compete in those countries

Moving Celtic and rangers into the PL will have exactly the same effect on the rest of the Scottish clubs as the ESL actually going ahead would have

Many clubs there rely on their games against these 2 for a big pay day to help keep them afloat so by removing these 2, that disappears and then money for these lesser clubs disappears and their futures are jeopardised

A terrible idea adversely affecting so many clubs and therefore a big no from me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here