Votes: 42 77.8%
  • 4-2 vs. Exeter City, 1999/00 – Freeman makes history

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
The last two second round ties before the QF's start tomorrow ...

1-1 vs. Ipswich Town, 2004/05 The Championship

Sunday 8th May 2005, Att: 6,848

Winner: Group G - 40.43%

Another glorious day in the Withdean Sunshine. Albion went into the final match of the 2004/05 season with one solitary win to show from their previous ten games, meaning we were facing relegation unless a point could be secured against Ipswich.

To make matters worse the Tractor Boys still had automatic promotions in their sights. Squeaky bum time, you could say. After only four minutes, Albion player the Adam Virgo failed to intercept Jim Magilton's pass allowing Sheki Kuqi to advance and beat on loan Alan Blayney.

Virgs bounced back though to score the equaliser after Gary Hart's header had been blocked by Ipswich goalie Kelvin Davis.

And that's the way it stayed, Albion & Crewe staying up as Gillingham fell through the trap door along with Nottingham Forest and Rotherham . Had Ipswich scored at the end - and they were going for a winner - we would have gone down.

“We decided to call in a couple of favours and get some hospitality tickets, and at the time there was no guarantee there would be anything worth celebrating other than a wake. But we knew if, if, we pulled it off, it would be a great day.

It wasn't one of the finest games I've ever seen played, But it was one of the best battling displays against the odds. Or what round the players after taking pictures, and I remember Guy Butters coming out and giving me the sweetest bear hug I'd ever had!” (Roz South)

From the BBC - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot..._1/4500729.stm

Championship final day drama

Ipswich missed out on automatic Premiership promotion after drawing with Brighton, which was enough to keep the Seagulls in the Championship.

Joe Royle's side had the perfect start when Shefki Kuqi put them ahead after just four minutes.

But their lead was quickly erased when Adam Virgo's turning volley brought Brighton back into the game.

Brighton: Blayney, El-Abd, Butters, Reid, Harding, Hart (McPhee 82), Oatway, Carpenter, Knight (Robinson 88), Hammond, Virgo.

Subs Not Used: Mayo, Nicolas, Shaaban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxdei3I3hiY

Freeman makes history, 4-2 vs. Exeter City, 1999/2000

Monday 3rd January 2000, Att: 5,746

Runner Up: Group H - 7.77%

A true moment of footballing history, local lad Darren Freeman scored the first goal of the new Millennium.

Freeman scored the first English professional goal of the Millennium as Exeter City were defeated 4-2 at Withdean on Monday 3rd January 2000.

Pinamonte struck twice on that day, the performance that convinced Adams that the Italian stallion was the man to lead Brighton’s attack on a more permanent basis.

From The Argus: https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/6797...-record-books/

DARREN Freeman has written himself into the record books and made it a Happy New Year for Albion fans.

Freeman fired the first goal of the Millennium in yesterday's 4-2 victory against Exeter at Withdean.

He celebrated his second minute volley by raising his shirt to reveal a message to Seagulls supporters.

"I told my girlfriend Lorraine I was going to score the first goal,"

Freeman explained. "I grabbed an old T-shirt and wrote Happy New Year on it with a big black marker.

"I went into the toilets to put the T-shirt on. I didn't want any of the lads to see it, because they would have abused me!

"I was delighted when the ball went in, so I just lifted my shirt up and wished all the crowd a Happy New Year.

"To get any goal is satisfying, yet alone the first one of the Millennium. That makes it a bit more special."

Freeman receives an award from Football League sponsors Nationwide for his historic strike.

Assistant manager Alan Cork declared: "Brighton's golden boy has done it again! I expect he will be in the Guinness Book of Records now."

On-loan Italian Lorenzo Pinamonte broke his duck by scoring twice and captain Paul Rogers added his sixth of the season.

Cork said: "I have been calling Lorenzo barn door, because he hasn't threatened to score in training. I have been trying to explain to him what it means.

"He flicks balls on and he has got an excellent touch for such a big lad. Hopefully there are better things to come from him."

The result, hot on the heels of a four-point haul over Christmas against top two Rotherham and Barnet, was the perfect tonic for flu-hit manager Micky Adams and moved Albion up two places to 13th ahead of Saturday's trip to Rochdale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mGlQFkLvkE&t=1s

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
staying up in the Championship with those resources, plus losing Currie and Cullip in January, was a tremendous achievement

Yeh best against the odds season ever, we had basically a League 1/2 team

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I literally wept in my South Stand seat at the fulltime whistle, in relief that we'd managed to stay up. Celebrating outside The Station pub at PP, Adam Virgo showed up.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here