Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay Interview about Social Media Boycott

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
[tweet]1386069936615866369[/tweet]

Makes me feel sorry for him when he says that he knows that he'll get a lot of 'hate' after tonight's performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
To be honest if I was an elite player I would pay someone to manage my public account and have a private one.

I don’t see much upside for a high profile footballer on Social Media. Dunky has the right idea.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Jeez, if he thinks it's bad on Twitter I hope to goodness he doesn't have an account on here...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
To be honest if I was an elite player I would pay someone to manage my public account and have a private one.

I don’t see much upside for a high profile footballer on Social Media. Dunky has the right idea.

Yes....

I may be missing something in all of this, and clearly personal abuse is unacceptable, but can’t you make accounts private and prevent morons abusing you?

Apologies if I am being naive, but I genuinely don’t know......

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
They choose to be on social media under the guise of the job they do. There is no reason why they cant just have a social media presence with family and friends. That doesnt excuse the abuse they receive but maybe if they just treated social media like the rest of us do then they wouldnt receive the abuse in the first place

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The abusers are scum. So many of them, it seems impossible to control.

But imho celebs shouldn’t lay themselves open to it, for their own mental wellbeing.

It was covered in the recent Caroline Flack doc. Her mates revealed that she’d always faced a torrent of hateful comments on social media from bitches, they told her to close the accounts down, but she was addicted to checking out the posts.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Yes....

I may be missing something in all of this, and clearly personal abuse is unacceptable, but can’t you make accounts private and prevent morons abusing you?

You can call your Twitter account “Neal Maupay, BHAFC professional footballer” and get verified and linked to all the other Albion player accounts. Or you can call yourself “Maups987392” it doesn’t matter.

Obviously the cowardly racial abuse is completely unacceptable, but even without that, I don’t know why these guys want a public social media presence. Must be so tempting to read all the messages which must mess with your head. I don’t know why you need that stress as an elite player.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Jeez, if he thinks it's bad on Twitter I hope to goodness he doesn't have an account on here...

I'm not sure it's bad on here. Sure he takes a fair amount of criticism - that goes with the job but I don't see a great deal of personal abuse or hate.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You can call your Twitter account “Neal Maupay, BHAFC professional footballer” and get verified and linked to all the other Albion player accounts. Or you can call yourself “Maups987392” it doesn’t matter.

Obviously the cowardly racial abuse is completely unacceptable, but even without that, I don’t know why these guys want a public social media presence. Must be so tempting to read all the messages which must mess with your head. I don’t know why you need that stress as an elite player.

Thanks [MENTION=38362]vagabond[/MENTION], that’s where I am,. If I was being subjected to abuse, I’d just use the option to make my account private....

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Maybe I just dont understand but where does this abuse appear. Surely they dont have Facebook and Twitter accounts. If this is the case do they go looking for the abuse. Only thing I look at is NSC where you get odd call to say a player is crap but that is hardly offensive abuse

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yes....

Depends which platform.

On both Facebook and Instagram you can make your page private and adjust your settings accordingly so only people you allow to follow you can see what you say and post things to you.

On Twitter you can protect your own Tweets to prevent others reading them but that does not prevent other people typing out a tweet mentioning you from scratch rather than replying to one you've put there (similar to how it works on here). You can also turn off your notifications which would then mean you never see anything from anyone, but the stuff posted is still visible if you happen to follow another account (e.g. the main BHAFC one) and the abuse is posted as replies to them. You can then block those individuals, but if it's 150 of them that takes a long time.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Maybe I just dont understand but where does this abuse appear. Surely they dont have Facebook and Twitter accounts. If this is the case do they go looking for the abuse. Only thing I look at is NSC where you get odd call to say a player is crap but that is hardly offensive abuse

Lots of high profile players have public Twitter accounts.

Some don’t.

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
I'm not sure it's bad on here. Sure he takes a fair amount of criticism - that goes with the job but I don't see a great deal of personal abuse or hate.

There's a post on the match thread saying specifically that they hate Maupay.

Ali J doesn't fare much better. Nor does Connolly. The abuse is all over the match thread. Not saying that they want them to die doesn't make it any less abusive.

It's pathetic.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Yes....

You’ve only got to look at some of the replies to that tweet (a couple from Arsenal fans stand out) to see the abuse doesn’t just happen on their own accounts but comes across all social media and accounts even when it’s posted by other media outlets, the club etc. Players making their own accounts private won’t stop the abuse.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This.

Players use Instagram, Facebook and Twatter, where folk using false id’s hurl unbridled hate and threats against them after a bad result.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I like everything about Neal other than his ability to miss chances, I don’t hate him in any way. He gives everything, he’s just not good enough :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here