Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The disallowed goal

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Now, I know Moder was in an offside position...

BUT, Webster's touch went backwards, didn't it? Surely the ball has to be passed forwards for it to be offside?

I may be going mad, but I feel sure that this is the rule. Yet nobody commented on it.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

BUT, Webster's touch went backwards, didn't it? Surely the ball has to be passed forwards for it to be offside?

I may be going mad, but I feel sure that this is the rule. Yet nobody commented on it.

Moder in offside position when ball goes to Webster and then runs into onside position. Correct decision.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Why would you think that? :shrug:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I did think he was offside and had fingers crossed that nothing would happen. Thought we had got away with something until the inevitable.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Moder in offside position when ball goes to Webster and then runs into onside position. Correct decision.

That ignores the point I was making. I know that Moder was in an offside position when Webster touched it. But if the ball is passed backwards, surely that negates that?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That ignores the point I was making. I know that Moder was in an offside position when Webster touched it. But if the ball is passed backwards, surely that negates that?

No. It has been many years since the direction the ball is played was relevant when whether someone was offside or not.

If you are in an offside position when your team mate plays the ball and you interfere with play or an opponent, you are offside. The direction the ball is played is irrelevant.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
No. It has been many years since the direction the ball is played was relevant when whether someone was offside or not.

If you are in an offside position when your team mate plays the ball and you interfere with play or an opponent, you are offside. The direction the ball is played is irrelevant.

Nicely explained, and I am glad to know that it was once a rule. So I am not completely mad.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

If I wasn’t scrapping the offside rule, it might be an update I’d consider; that the ball has to travel forwards in order for it to be offside. Moder is offside not because of a pass to him, but because of a rebound. Whether against us or against us, Webster’s header going backward then getting a deflection should negate offside.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Must say the rule is news to me. I never realised that the rule had changed. No wonder the game is in the state it’s in with all the tinkering over the years. The rules used to be so simple - and then they started paying bean counters to make things as complicated as possible.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If I wasn’t scrapping the offside rule, it might be an update I’d consider; that the ball has to travel forwards in order for it to be offside. Moder is offside not because of a pass to him, but because of a rebound. Whether against us or against us, Webster’s header going backward then getting a deflection should negate offside.

Don't think it got a deflection though. If it had, then Moder would have been onside by that point anyway.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Don't think it got a deflection though. If it had, then Moder would have been onside by that point anyway.

You’re probably right, but point still stands, player coming back form an offside position to a ball that went backwards off a team mate shouldn’t be offside. It’s just a thought. :shrug:

Jimmy Grimble

I had the same thought (backwards pass not being offside). Very likely through desperation.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Rightly or wrongly, it’s a shame it was disallowed. Genuinely think that would have opened the game up and we’d get all 3 points if it stood.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here