Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Have you ever done a yard of ale (in one)?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
...and has anyone done a yard of LAGER?! :eek:

Hats off is so, I could never get close to. Yard of hot dogs maybe but...

What it feel like? Pressure I guess because whole pub would be watching!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
...and has anyone done a yard of LAGER?! :eek:

Hats off is so, I could never get close to. Yard of hot dogs maybe but...

What it feel like? Pressure I guess because whole pub would be watching!

I once shared a glass boot of German lager in
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, with 2 other chaps, needed help walking back to my digs :lol:

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
I am sure I saw [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] beat Canairian Seagull (Lance, RIP) in a drink off once. Not sure if it was a yard or a regular pint though.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Not exactly sure how much a yard of ale is but a long time ago in my student days I did 2 and 1/2 pints in 2 minutes for a challenge. The main problem is that you literally run out of room in your stomach and so the liquid has a tendency to come back up which it did about 5 minutes later. I wouldn’t recommend it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I don't think I've ever even seen a yard of ale, let alone tried to drink one. How many pints is it?

As I remember, back in the day, it wasn't unusual for a pub to have a yard glass hung over the back of the bar (and this is ONLY mid/late 70s) :wink:

In answer to your question, I think about 3 pints, but that's a guess

*edit* apparently about 2.5 pints, and it looks like this

Yard-of-Ale.jpg

but it's deceptive. It comes at you all at once, like a tidal wave

Now what's the GPot wheel of fortune kicked out for tonight ?

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As I remember, back in the day, it wasn't unusual for a pub to have a yard glass hung over the back of the bar (and this is ONLY mid/late 70s) :wink:

In answer to your question, I think about 3 pints, but that's a guess

In that case maybe I have seen one - just don't remember doing so. If it is indeed more than three pints, I'd definitely struggle to down it in a one-er!

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I havn`t tried a yard of ale but , when i was 19 i worked at a factory for a short while that only had a half hour dinner break . Next door was a pub that literally lined the bar with pre poured pints in advance of the stampede , needles to say we tried to break records . My record was 5 pints in the dinner break , had been 3 or 4 for ages but on this one day 5 went down , and yes stayed down . My dad was always saying it was the Irish in me that made me drink , i still maintain it was willpower and a good right arm .

rbridd

Aug 9, 2005
I have drunk many yards of ale in the past.
I failed at a yard of Lager though. Much too gassy for me, and burping half way through the yard was a recipe for disaster :)

I did see someone finish a yard of lager that same night, but he disappeared soon after not to be seen until the following week where we were told never to talk about it.
Spinning the bowl when you come towards the end is the secret as Lethargic notes above.

Is this to be the new NSC competition?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Yes, a few times, with bitter while stood on a barstool because apparently that was how you had to do it. Fortunately my dad had explained yard of ale technique when I'd first seen one hung on a wall as a nipper and the information stuck.
Later I did a yard of gin and tonic. No lemon slice though.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I can down a pint of lager in about 2 and a half seconds. Never tried a yard though. Assume it’ll be quite easy though
I have found over the years that people who are very confident about their ability to do things they've never tried or, indeed seen, often offer great opportunities for entertainment. Do you mind if I just follow you around for a while (obviously virtually as I'm a bit old for West Street) :lolol:

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Yes...back in college days in front of the student body. I think I was drinking more out of fear than anything else!

As others have said, you've got to turn the yard at the end to slow the speed and prevent a tidal wave.

I finished it and it wasn't terrible, but I've happily consigned it to the 'I've done that' part of life.

Less drinking speed now, but a far greater appreciation of what's going down. :)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Never done a yard of ale but I have done a pint through a beer funnel while upside down in a swimming pool.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There's a lot of yard of ales that are not the full size.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here