• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
First game at Withdean, 6-0 vs. Mansfield Town, 1999/00 Division Three

Saturday 7th August 1999, Att: 5,882

Won Group D: 74.83%

After two years in exile on the Kent coast, Albion were coming home, albeit to an athletics stadium likened by Huddersfield manager Lou Macari to the kind of place you would stumble across on a preseason tour of Norway. The test run a few days previously against Nottingham Forest had gone according to plan This, however was the real thing . New ground, new manager (Mickey Adams) new squad, new everything, except of course us the fans …

Could it have gone any better? No, not really . The sun shone, we partied and local boy Darren Freeman scored a hat trick on his debut as Mansfield were sent packing, substitute Aidan Newhouse weighing in with a pair along with a solitary strike from Rod Thomas.

“A sunny comment late summer's afternoon stroll along the London Road with a pint on route at the Ladies Mile instead of the interminable grey drive to Gillingham. Unfamiliar surroundings and brought to life by unexpected free flowing football and a goal rush for good measure. After years of drab desperation this felt like the first time there might be light at the end of the tunnel. A bit of a long tunnel, but hey we're nearly there . Oh my God, I might cry" (Paul Mitchener)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYJkYoEfnHk&t=51s

Rocketman

Runner Up: Group C - 39.73%

Would it be Withdean without mentioning Rocketman?

Like all great superheroes, the identity of the Withdean Rocketman was never revealed. Neither was the location of the secret base from where he – or she – worked his magic.

The only thing we can say with certainty about Rocketman is that whenever a Brighton goal hit the back of the net, he – or she – would mark the moment by letting off a firework to explode high above the South Stand.

Rocketman must have let off at least 70 fireworks during his – or her – career. And yet the majority of Brighton fans at Withdean were sat in the South Stand with the fireworks going off behind them.

On occasions, Rocketman’s displays went awry. When Cardiff City came to Withdean in January 2002, the burning stick from his firework dropped to ground onto the running track.

Then there was the incident which occurred during the final home game of the 2002-03 season against Watford. The one which sadly forced Rocketman into retirement.

It dropped into Block E of the South Stand, setting a startled supporter on fire. Five days later and Rocketman wrote to The Argus to say that he – or she – would be hanging up their lighter for good.

“It is with considerable regret that I announce my decision to hang up my lighter,” the Withdean Rocketman said on Thursday 1st May 2003, a dark day in the history of Brighton & Hove Albion.

Credit for the above article goes to We Are Brighton - http://wearebrighton.com/albionfeatu...ghton-history/

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Just to correct the story of the rocket landing in Block E, it landed at the feet of [MENTION=33618]Brighton_boy[/MENTION] who posts under a different name now (can't remember what) who stamped on it. He didn't catch fire.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Rocketman

Runner Up: Group C - 39.73%

Would it be Withdean without mentioning Rocketman?

Like all great superheroes, the identity of the Withdean Rocketman was never revealed. Neither was the location of the secret base from where he – or she – worked his magic.

The only thing we can say with certainty about Rocketman is that whenever a Brighton goal hit the back of the net, he – or she – would mark the moment by letting off a firework to explode high above the South Stand.

Rocketman must have let off at least 70 fireworks during his – or her – career. And yet the majority of Brighton fans at Withdean were sat in the South Stand with the fireworks going off behind them.

On occasions, Rocketman’s displays went awry. When Cardiff City came to Withdean in January 2002, the burning stick from his firework dropped to ground onto the running track.

Then there was the incident which occurred during the final home game of the 2002-03 season against Watford. The one which sadly forced Rocketman into retirement.

It dropped into Block E of the South Stand, setting a startled supporter on fire. Five days later and Rocketman wrote to The Argus to say that he – or she – would be hanging up their lighter for good.

“It is with considerable regret that I announce my decision to hang up my lighter,” the Withdean Rocketman said on Thursday 1st May 2003, a dark day in the history of Brighton & Hove Albion.

That time when the rocket stick fell to ground on the running track, bloke near me in H Block completely freaked out. 'Shit!' he screamed 'Cardiff are firing ARROWS at us!!' :eek:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here