Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] The Man Who Put His Head Inside A Particle Accelerator While It Was Switched On

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not the first to do it. The first CERN mutant lost his good looks.

401FEC8C-D27E-4538-8410-07D77E16AD7C.png

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What other football forum could someone post a story on a man putting his head in a particle accelerator from 40 odd years ago, only to be outdone within 3 minutes by someone posting a whole documentary on it :lolol:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I watched the documentary about this about two weeks ago, unbelievable that he survived.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I watched the documentary about this about two weeks ago, unbelievable that he survived.

It would seem the beam went in through the back of his skull and out by his nostril.

So the fella just didn't see it coming. :dunce:

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
I used to work on a particle accelerator and you get to hear about a lot of interesting (though horrific) accidents from the early days of the field. Not often they feature survivors though - most of what we know about the dangers of high radiation doses is based on studying these poor people as they die.

Another relatively famous one is this incident:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ffs.......... not particle accelerator injuries again.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I used to work on a particle accelerator and you get to hear about a lot of interesting (though horrific) accidents from the early days of the field. Not often they feature survivors though - most of what we know about the dangers of high radiation doses is based on studying these poor people as they die.

Another relatively famous one is this incident:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core

:mad:

'I know. I'll invent my own procedure to deal with a plutonium core in an experiment to see how close to criticality it is. I'll just slip a screwdriver in between the beryllium domes; what could possibly go wrong? Oh shit; the screwdriver slipped out'. Dead 9 days later.

Utter insanity!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We have one here in Lund, just about 2 km from where I live. I could try this some day.

Not quite sure how useful they are. When they built it over here it was a pretty big thing but I've yet to hear anyone saying "my life significantly improved with that particle accelerator".

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
We have one here in Lund, just about 2 km from where I live. I could try this some day.

Not quite sure how useful they are. When they built it over here it was a pretty big thing but I've yet to hear anyone saying "my life significantly improved with that particle accelerator".

That’s the thing about particle accelerators; some people will be positive and others will be negative :shrug:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I thought this was going to be a thread about Potter's injury.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here