Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Your Three Pearls of Wisdom.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Over the years we accumulate a lot of baggage and shite, but hopefully, lots of wisdom too that helps us cope.

What are your three pearls of wisdom that you try to live by to keep you going? Just three, borrowed or your own, and then one from the subs bench:

1. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you (The Bible).

2. You cannot control the behaviours of others, only your own response to those behaviours. Or perhaps, more simply... Don't let the ******** grind you down (Norman Stanley Fletcher).

3. 'In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on.' (Robert Frost).

Subs bench:

Your health is your wealth (George Balamoan).

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
The one that instantly springs to mind is this.

Procrastination is like m*sturbation, you're only screwing yourself.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
1. Unhappy at work? Then move on, life really is too short. Ignore “better the frying pan ...” people close to you.

2. Savour your time with your kids, refrain from overly harsh words said in temper and take a real interest in them. Parents ... reduce your own screen time.

Philip Larkin:
“They **** you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do”.

3. Learn to love yourself first, only then can you give.

Depressed or anxious people, often make their mental state far worse by ruminating about big matters such as the environment or the sad plight of others. Get well first with professional help and possibly meds, then you can make a difference elsewhere.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Don't marry the first girl that fancies you.
Don't stay in a loveless marriage because of the kids.
Don't neglect your parents, you don't know when their last day will arrive.

3 things I can't undo.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Never forgive, never forget.
It's not me, it's you.
I'm on the spectrum so neither my insights nor my perspectives have any traction outside my own head.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
1 There is no way to get rid of moles in your garden without using lethal force
2 Anyone who wants to be an elected politician is not a suitable person to be voted for
3 Don’t tell lies; it’s not good for the recipient and it’s not good for you

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Enjoy the little things in life because one day you’ll look back and realise they were the big things.

I don’t have any others.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Great thread. Mine echo Westy’s really

Make sure you can look after yourself before you try to do for others

Don’t waste energy worrying about things you cannot change (I struggle to do this admittedly!)

Family is the only thing that really matters (I’ve had a lot of tragedy like many of us have, and there’s nothing truer so remember this, kids, for later life!)

Life is too short to tolerate a***holes. Get rid of toxic relationships, don’t tolerate them at work or in your personal life. Cut ties and move on, it took life changing events and greater confidence for me to realise this but it’s so true and I simply don’t and won’t.

With age I’ve also become kinder to myself and now accept that “doing my best is good enough”, too many independent persons have all observed over the decades the same thing: I’m way too hard on myself. So check if you’re being similarly and if so, give yourself a break!

Lastly, a recent celebrity one I read that resonated was “If you don’t stand for something you end up dying for nothing” which plays to my values and beliefs. I’m a fully paid up member of the better to die on your feet than live on your knees brigade - as I think anyone who’s followed the Albion for 40+ years will be!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Smile

Don't take yourself too seriously

Don't expect of others what you don't of yourself

Give solutions not problems

Believe you are here only the once, no one can prove otherwise, so enjoy your time.

Respect others remember their reality differs to yours

Smile

Canfan

Nov 8, 2014
Beyond Hope
People are stupid.
Never be too keen to give your money away.
If you can't laugh at yourself you may be missing out on the biggest joke of all time.

Subs bench: You can learn everything you need to know about life by watching The Godfather parts 1, 2 & 3.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here