Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A nugget of statistical analysis re Sanchez playing as right centre back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I did actually call it at the time, partly because early in the game a random pass went backwards and it took an age for Bob to appear stage right.

I also called the first video as I said something like 'come on then, you've got them'.

Anyhoo, it's still nice to see it all laid out, and well explained, as the minutiae passes me by during the game.

[tweet]1385265933334106113[/tweet]

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
To quote Adam Lallana:

"We have a world-class manager and good players. The lads are taking his instructions on board. We believe we are going to get points at big clubs."

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I did actually call it at the time, partly because early in the game a random pass went backwards and it took an age for Bob to appear stage right.

I also called the first video as I said something like 'come on then, you've got them'.

Anyhoo, it's still nice to see it all laid out, and well explained, as the minutiae passes me by during the game.

Doesn't any side with a ball playing keeper do this? I've literally just watched Schmeichel do more or less the same. Ederson certainly does.

However two things before I get accused of being a moaning Minny AGAIN.

1) Sanchez does it very, very well. Credit to Potter again for sticking him in. And
2) Burnley will never do this. Pope is the worst keeper with the ball at his feet in the league.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Doesn't any side with a ball playing keeper do this? I've literally just watched Schmeichel do more or less the same. Ederson certainly does.

1) Sanchez does it very, very well. Credit to Potter again for sticking him in. And
2) Burnley will never do this. Pope is the worst keeper with the ball at his feet in the league.

Your 2 points save me from making them.

Despite your assertion any team with the right keeper does this and Burnley might never.
But don't forget this is all very new for us too.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Doesn't any side with a ball playing keeper do this?

The thread said 'how Brighton used Sanchez to their advantage'.

It didn't say 'how Brighton used Sanchez to their advantage unlike anyone else does'.

I've literally just watched Schmeichel do more or less the same. Ederson certainly does.

Great, we're doing things teams in the top 3 are doing. :thumbsup:

1) Not just sticking him in, but having complete faith in him to use him in a capacity very experienced keepers are being used in. It's a risk. Takes a bit of courage in conviction to trust a young keeper and a lot of confidence from the keeper. Someone did start a thread on courage not so long ago. :whistle:

2) Probably not.

Jul 7, 2003
This is not just the first team. Anyone who watched the youth team game last night will have seen young Toby Bull playing almost alongside the central defenders at times.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

Wonderful Gross-Turn in their too. :clap2:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Since, by Owlstalk definition, Sheffield United are not even the biggest club in Sheffield, it rather puts the mockers on Saturday :whistle:

You just KNOW that sooner or later we are going to put somebody to the sword and put every chance away :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, because I just typed that, it won't be Saturday 0-0 :facepalm:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The thread said 'how Brighton used Sanchez to their advantage'.

It didn't say 'how Brighton used Sanchez to their advantage unlike anyone else does'.

The Twitter thread seems to present it like it is. We've reached peak Football Hipster tactical analysis. Another reason I can't wait to get back in the ground and have a 3 pint, slightly restricted view.

Great, we're doing things teams in the top 3 are doing. :thumbsup:

Yup. If only we could put the chances away it created :whistle:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You just KNOW that sooner or later we are going to put somebody to the sword and put every chance away :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, because I just typed that, it won't be Saturday 0-0 :facepalm:

I can't help thinking there's more chance of Webster pinging one into Sanchez top corner while he's stood rather bemused further up the field.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here