Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Les McKeown RIP

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Genuinely gutted, as a confirmed "punky" The rollers were my guilty pleasure.
Was a great front man, but get that there were not everyone cup of tea.
Only 65 :(

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Wonder if Johnnie Walker with give one of the Rollers songs a spin to celebrate Les' life.

My sister had the Rollers Albums and singles in the 70s, fortunately I had control of the hi-fi.

Far too young to die, and no doubt the faithful fans will be heartbroken.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sad the fella's dead and that, but the rollers were seven shades of shite. There again I wasn't a 12 year old girl at the time.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
B A Y
B A Y
B A Y C I T Y
With a nic knack paddy whack, give a dog a bone.
Bay City Rollers are the Best
:)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sad the fella's dead and that, but the rollers were seven shades of shite.

Sort of agree with the first bit. Agree with the second bit too, but actually The Rollers were a far better band -with much better personnel - before their thankfully short period of fame. Pilot may not have had a great deal of commercial success, but they were a far, far better band than the Rollers - so musically at least it was a good move for the lads who left the Rollers to form the better band.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wasn't

Well we sang shang-a-lang as we ran with the gang
Doin' doo wop be dooby do ay

the father of

I wanna, (ha) I wanna, (ha) I wanna, (ha) I wanna, (ha)
I wanna really, really, really wanna zigazig ah

? Well ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sort of agree with the first bit. Agree with the second bit too, but actually The Rollers were a far better band -with much better personnel - before their thankfully short period of fame. Pilot may not have had a great deal of commercial success, but they were a far, far better band than the Rollers - so musically at least it was a good move for the lads who left the Rollers to form the better band.

Indeed, and while we are contemplating jocpoptasticals, who was Thin Lizzy and Ultravoxes singer with before he became cool?

slick.jpg

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Very sad, a genuine rock n roll victim, their manager Tam Payton robbed them blind, so he spent 40 years very bitter about the money that had been stolen off him. ��

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Genuinely gutted, as a confirmed "punky" The rollers were my guilty pleasure.
Was a great front man, but get that there were not everyone cup of tea.
Only 65 :(

It sounds too surreal to contemplate, but there’s a fair chance the Ramones might never have existed without the Bay City Rollers. It was certainly true of their incendiary debut single, Blitzkrieg Bop.

“There was a big hit by the Bay City Rollers at the time called Saturday Night, which was a chant-type song,” says ex-drummer Tommy Ramone. “So I thought it would be fun to do for the Ramones too. And somehow I came up with ‘Hey! Ho! Let’s go!’ I just liked the term because it made fun of Mick Jagger singing the Stones’ version of Walking The Dog, where he goes ‘High low, tippy toe’. We all used to goof on that and sing ‘hey ho!’ instead.”

Released in May 1976, Blitzkrieg Bop was just over two minutes of pure adrenalin, a three-chord ruck that hurtled by with furious abandon. It was the song that helped launch the Ramones as the roaring embodiment of New York punk.

Less than two months later The Clash, the Sex Pistols and The Damned were all in attendance at the band’s historic first UK gig at the Roundhouse, which the NME claimed they “reduced to the hottest, sleaziest garage ever”. Blitzkrieg Bop was likened to a rallying call by Buzzcocks chief Pete Shelley. “We were so unique,” says Tommy. “It’s hard to imagine now, but what we were doing was so different from anything anybody had heard before. It was like we were from another world.”

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Very sad, a genuine rock n roll victim, their manager Tam Payton robbed them blind, so he spent 40 years very bitter about the money that had been stolen off him. ��

I recall that documentary(BBC?) a decade or so ago. They were one of many that got royally screwed over in that manner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here