Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Feature length Albion documentary

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
OK so this is a 'testing the water' post.

Over the last few years I have gathered quite a few decent contacts in the world of film, filmmaking and film distribution.

With that in mind, I have been thinking for a while that I'd love to make a feature length documentary showcasing our story to the world. Not just a dull straight forward doc, but something great, really inspiring - a proper rags to riches tale to inspire real fans of 'proper' clubs.

In order to get such a project on the move I'd need four things, Albion fans on the crew / creative team would be great, access to the major players in the story, access to footage, and of course some money.

If you have a lead on any of the above, or have any thoughts, drop me a DM.

Very early days at the moment - nothing is in place.

Warren x

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Steve North would be a good contact. Must have lot of contacts from Build a Bonfire days. Certainly loads of contacts in the tv and film world. Think he used to post as Southy on here.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Don't want to teach you to suck eggs but I have done a lot of work for people who have made films about retro computers. And the biggest issue they had was getting access to historic TV archive. From memory, I think 1 minute of footage was £1000. Whilst some of us have a shed load of old videos, the club seemingly have the originals as they have started using them on their website in the last couple of years. So if your plan is to include newsreel footage or actual game footage, you might be entering a hornets nest.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
[MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] would be a good person to talk to.

He knows where the bodies are buried (Sorry)

Seriously, I do think he could help with content.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When conditions allow, fly to Spain and get a full-on RANT from DK and then build from there. Go the extra mile and swerve the usual limelight seekers. Go to Firle. Go to Newhaven. Make a small quiet grainily-impressive film without the usual dreary cast of rent-a-mouth showboaters. In short: show us something NEW

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Don't want to teach you to suck eggs but I have done a lot of work for people who have made films about retro computers. And the biggest issue they had was getting access to historic TV archive. From memory, I think 1 minute of footage was £1000. Whilst some of us have a shed load of old videos, the club seemingly have the originals as they have started using them on their website in the last couple of years. So if your plan is to include newsreel footage or actual game footage, you might be entering a hornets nest.

I think it would need to it.

I guess the club would have to be onboard fully, which would be a blessing and a curse I reckon. Wouldn't want it to be a propaganda film!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Over the last few years I have gathered quite a few decent contacts in the world of film, filmmaking and film distribution.

With that in mind, I have been thinking for a while that I'd love to make a feature length documentary showcasing our story to the world. Not just a dull straight forward doc, but something great, really inspiring - a proper rags to riches tale to inspire real fans of 'proper' clubs.

In order to get such a project on the move I'd need four things, Albion fans on the crew / creative team would be great, access to the major players in the story, access to footage, and of course some money.

Warren x

Go for it, great idea :thumbsup:

5 minute job :)

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
When conditions allow, fly to Spain and get a full-on RANT from DK and then build from there. Go the extra mile and swerve the usual limelight seekers. Go to Firle. Go to Newhaven. Make a small quiet grainily-impressive film without the usual dreary cast of rent-a-mouth showboaters. In short: show us something NEW

:lolol:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

I guess the club would have to be onboard fully, which would be a blessing and a curse I reckon. Wouldn't want it to be a propaganda film!

Also depends if the original rights still belong to the BBC/ITV I guess. The club might just have the rights to historic games for internet broadcast

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004

Possibly a mock-doc that mirrors the story exactly but never mentions the club by name!

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Whatever happened to the three part documentary series put together by Dick Knight on the History of the Albion?
The first part was sold on VHS (thats how old the project was) and I think featured the earliest footgae found of the Goldstone (1920's footage) callled 'Flight of the Seagull'?

Parts two and three of the documentary never materialsied probably due to what Dick Swiveller mentioned above....
I'm not sure if the footage of old games is owned by the club, FA, TV Companies or a combination of all three (or more). Goldstone Rapper had to take down his excellent site/ YouTube page of televised Albion matches for this very reason. I hope I'm wrong but you may go down a rabbit hole and decide not to bother :(

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Do you know any short cuts:wink:

Of the two film makers I have dealt with, they came up with two solutions. Raise more money for the film and pay up or just go with a talking heads film. Both used copious amounts of my game footage recorded from emulators to illustrate what the talking heads were discussing. Not really an option in a football film. I would imagine the club must have rights to modern stuff as they film it themselves and release it on DVD/Bluray/Youtube. But the 70s/80s/90s era so important to this story will mostly rely broadcast TV footage. And I know that has had people tearing their hair out. May not be a problem but ITV made a claim against my very short Sneaky George video on Youtube years ago. No threat at all to their income and was not monetised but they took it down even back then. Things are a lot worse these days.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Of the two film makers I have dealt with, they came up with two solutions. Raise more money for the film and pay up or just go with a talking heads film. Both used copious amounts of my game footage recorded from emulators to illustrate what the talking heads were discussing. Not really an option in a football film. I would imagine the club must have rights to modern stuff as they film it themselves and release it on DVD/Bluray/Youtube. But the 70s/80s/90s era so important to this story will mostly rely broadcast TV footage. And I know that has had people tearing their hair out. May not be a problem but ITV made a claim against my very short Sneaky George video on Youtube years ago. No threat at all to their income and was not monetised but they took it down even back then. Things are a lot worse these days.

We could replace all the action with stop animation lego versions.

Edit: Having thought about it I really like this!!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Warren x

Sounds like a great idea.

Would you like me to go around the school yard and shake down some dinner money towards your costs...
(obviously 90/10 split) :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

TBH unless the movie is particularly flask orientated I don't see how it will be anything other than a propaganda film.

It's not as if the current custodians of the club are lurching from disaster to the next.

Edit - my very next post was the club handing over a donation to The Offside Trust - kind of says it all.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
We could replace all the action with stop animation lego versions.

Edit: Having thought about it I really like this!!

...or a Baddiel and Skinner Fantasy Football 'Phoenix from the Flames' treatment...

"Right. I'll be Stuart Storer. You can be Mark Morris..."

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whatever happened to the three part documentary series put together by Dick Knight on the History of the Albion?
The first part was sold on VHS (thats how old the project was) and I think featured the earliest footgae found of the Goldstone (1920's footage) callled 'Flight of the Seagull'?

Parts two and three of the documentary never materialsied probably due to what Dick Swiveller mentioned above....
I'm not sure if the footage of old games is owned by the club, FA, TV Companies or a combination of all three (or more). Goldstone Rapper had to take down his excellent site/ YouTube page of televised Albion matches for this very reason. I hope I'm wrong but you may go down a rabbit hole and decide not to bother :(

I’ve got some old VHS tapes of the war years ie a compilation 96/97, and some dvds from Withdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here