Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Congratulations to G Potts and the Boys - Brighton's Greatest Team Ever!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
An extraordinary achievement for our erudite manager, his young squad our Chariman and all the back room team.

Empirically the highest ranking Brighton team since the second world war. Don't take my word for it go check the stats yourself at http://clubelo.com/Brighton

Screenshot_2021-04-22 Football Club Elo Ratings.png

Please join me in congratulating the team on this magnificent achievement. Let's hope we can soon get back to watching live, so we can truly show our appreciation for this brilliant team. I know i want to be there when they overhaul the last remaining peak, which is to pass the ranking of 36th best side in Europe. This is only a matter of time people, great times ahead.

Seagulls, Seagulls, Seagulls!!!!!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Bravo/brava to all involved.

How are we looking in the xElo table? ???

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Just below Burnley. Praise indeed.

In 1982 we were below Swansea, Southampton and Ipswich. Crowds tailed off and the manager was sacked for playing boring football. This is Brighton and it is as good as it gets. It doesn't mean it can't get better, or we can't dream of biger and better.

If you want to put up an argument. How about the 1911 team? You can't really compare the stats and there is no one old enough to have been able to see both teams with their own eyes. Judging from your grumpy response, you may be closer than most though.

Screenshot_2021-04-22 11v11 league table generator.png

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Excuse me if I refrain a little from the hyperbole. Magnificent and brilliant are words associated with the highest achievement. We are doing well. Our progress is steady and we look set for another season in the top division. We have much to be proud of, particularly reflecting on where we have come from. The foundation is solid and we have some talented players. We do, however, sit 16th in a division of 20 clubs and have won 7 games out of 32. Only the bottom three teams have won less. We also have a particularly poor home record. On the plus side, we are competitive in virtually every game we play and only a lack of cutting edge upfront prevents us from being a few places higher.
In our 120 year history, we have, thus far, spent 8 seasons in the top flight and probably about 20 in the second tier ( roughly ) So many of our older fans have spent the majority of their BHA supporting lives watching us in the bottom two divisions. So this is still something fairly new to many of us. We are enjoying the ride but not getting too carried away. Lets hope we continue to consolidate at this level, continue to improve and don't lose too many of our better players.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Excuse me if I refrain a little from the hyperbole. Magnificent and brilliant are words associated with the highest achievement. We are doing well. Our progress is steady and we look set for another season in the top division. We have much to be proud of, particularly reflecting on where we have come from. The foundation is solid and we have some talented players. We do, however, sit 16th in a division of 20 clubs and have won 7 games out of 32. Only the bottom three teams have won less. We also have a particularly poor home record. On the plus side, we are competitive in virtually every game we play and only a lack of cutting edge upfront prevents us from being a few places higher.
In our 120 year history, we have, thus far, spent 8 seasons in the top flight and probably about 20 in the second tier ( roughly ) So many of our older fans have spent the majority of their BHA supporting lives watching us in the bottom two divisions. So this is still something fairly new to many of us. We are enjoying the ride but not getting too carried away. Lets hope we continue to consolidate at this level, continue to improve and don't lose too many of our better players.

The other consideration is the bar has raised considerably. Yes we're doing well, but comparitively no better. than at certain other times in our history. keep calm and carry on etc.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
So we are ranked 45 and it is the best team ever, better than the '82 team ranked 35. Don't get it.

The rating is based upon the team that beat the team. If you win away against a higher ranking team, your score goes up and their score goes down. When comparing 1982 to 2021, there are a broader spread of quality teams across Europe now and the larger number of competitve European games, mean that the cross comparisons have more depth and English clubs don't dominate in the way they did in that era. In 1982 8th after 24 games, was an achievement, it was however down hill from there.

You can see the Mike Bailey stats here http://clubelo.com/MikeBailey and the peak for both Bailey and Brighton was a score of 1701. The draw against Chelsea took us past this landmark.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The other consideration is the bar has raised considerably. Yes we're doing well, but comparitively no better. than at certain other times in our history. keep calm and carry on etc.

Well apart from those 112 seasons out of 120 we've been in lower divisions. So 93% of the time.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
We do, however, sit 16th in a division of 20 clubs and have won 7 games out of 32. Only the bottom three teams have won less. We also have a particularly poor home record. On the plus side, we are competitive in virtually every game we play and only a lack of cutting edge upfront prevents us from being a few places higher.

We've dropped a lot of points from strong positions this season: 21 points dropped from having held a lead (including 15 where we lost), and another 4 dropped from having equalised and then losing. As much as I agree we'd be better off with improved cutting edge (my numbers above don't actually include games like vs Villa where we should have thumped them but got a 0-0 draw instead), we'd also be a lot better off if we weren't one of the worst squads in the league at holding on to leads.

Looking at the "Points dropped from winning positions" table as it was on 5th April, we were the worst with 20. The median for all top flight clubs was 10. If you add 10 points to our tally, we'd be 12th and level on points with Villa. I'd argue that it's very easy to see where we could easily have picked up an extra 10 points through the season.

Give us both better cutting edge, and better ability to hold on to a lead, and a top 10 result is not that far away.

Arguably, we've generally played well enough to be sitting in 9th just ahead of Arsenal right now. The problem is those short passages of play where we've given up a lead, and those matches we've dominated but been unable to put the ball in the net.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Congratulations to Tony Bloom, Paul Barber and Dan Ashworth for funding, planning and assembling this squad of players and appointing this manager to lead them. Some clubs are divided between football and business, but we're not - everything feels like it's working together.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The team of 1979/80 -1982/83 - for me - has still achieved more than the 2017/18 - 2020/21 crop:

1. A highest finish of 13th (and this was then there were 22 teams in the division).
2. Michael Robinson still our highest top flight goalscorer (37).
3. Reached an FA Cup Final (when every side fielded a full-strength team) and forced a replay.
4. Beating Liverpool at Anfield when they were in their pomp (like Man City today - an achievement we haven't managed in 4 years).
5. More wins - we've managed 32 in 144 games; that era managed 44 in the same amount of games.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm with you Pavilionaire . . . we're good but not that good

asides which you can't really maker a meaningful comparissonacross different eras and arguably a different game , its just some nerd statistician with a PC wasting his time.

It reminds me of the greatest driver arguments . . . . It's Jim Clark if you were wondering :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here