Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Big Six - Time to return to the Big 20?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
During all the furore around the ESL, I can't help thinking the media has helped create this six headed monster by the incessant focus on just six clubs at the expense of the Premier League as a whole. Back in the studio for televised matches, only a pundit from the Big Six club. Only an analysis of why the Big Six team lost and frequently no mention of the Other Fourteen team at all post match. Sky Sports ruminating over who the Big Six will sign during the transfer window for literally weeks on end only for it not to happen. Messi, Haaland and Sancho only the most recent examples of hours of Big Six related uninformed guff. Completely acceptable now to have a colour commentator who played for the Big Six team with no balance for the other side, Neville being the most obvious example.. All this and more obviously feeds the message to owners seeking to further monetise their asset, that the Big Six are the be all and end all of English football. I may be the exception, but Super Saturday/Sunday are the most boring games in the fixture list. I would rather watch Villa v Man Utd and hope Villa win, or Leicester v Spurs and hope Leicester win. If the coverage were more balanced, the Big Six owners might not be so arrogant. It would be wonderful if the ESL debacle could provoke a reset of media coverage to the whole division rather than a Big Six and Other Fourteen to make up the numbers particularly at a time when there might only be two of the Big Six even qualify for the Champions League. The media can change. We have more black and women pundits than ever before to redress that balance. How about covering the Other Fourteen teams in more depth and more positively to reflect their contribution.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The TV companies have to sell their product. The biggest draw is the big six clubs. So they get talked about the most. Only Brighton fans and a few who like football in general want to hear about our club.

Fans are not entirely blameless here.

I'll always remember a conversation about the demise of Bradford Park Avenue many years ago. I was told that they would probably have still been in existence if local people hadn't '****ed off and watched Leeds United instead'

So there you have it.

For me, the first rule of football or any sport is to support your local team. Unless a team connected with the family roots runs in your lineage.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The media have changed, it used to be the Big 4, until City got their money and Spurs managed to gate crash the top 4.
If Leicester can continue to qualify for Europe you never know we may have a Big 7 rather than 6.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Being in the PL has decimated my knowledge of the lower leagues, even the Championship is barely on my radar, let alone Leagues One and Two, whereas I used to be interested in all four divisions so it’s no surprise how myopic top six supporters and the whole top end of the PL feeding table is.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The media have changed, it used to be the Big 4, until City got their money and Spurs managed to gate crash the top 4.
If Leicester can continue to qualify for Europe you never know we may have a Big 7 rather than 6.

And if Everton get their new stadium built it might be the big 8

And then if some of our younger players fulfill their potential.....who knows.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Very few people outside of our supporters care who we sign or what we do. Same applies to most teams in the PL. Armchair fans of other clubs don't discuss the technicalities of Potter's back line stretching to cover forward runs from all players down the pub. But they do discuss who Harry Kane will sign for.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Brighton and Hove’s ‘metropolitan population’ alone (not including the rest of Sussex) is ranked higher than Leicester’s (we’re ranked 15th in the UK, they’re 16th). Leicester will never fill a ‘Big 6 sized stadium,’ surely a fundamental criteria.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Last night's coverage of us v Chelsea. All they could talk about was the impending collapse of the ESL. Even after the game was finished, nothing.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Hardly surprising really. It was a more important subject. Last night was a little surreal. It didn't feel like a normal match.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Brighton and Hove’s ‘metropolitan population’ alone (not including the rest of Sussex) is ranked higher than Leicester’s (we’re ranked 15th in the UK, they’re 16th). Leicester will never fill a ‘Big 6 sized stadium,’ surely a fundamental criteria.
Arsenal can't

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Twitter followers

Leicester City 1.9m
Brighton & Hove Albion 406k

It's about armchair supporters not about having a large stadium which is filled

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We dont get the same coverage as the interest isn't as much but if we found ourselves back in the championship you would quickly realise how much we are in the spotlight almost daily.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
We dont get the same coverage as the interest isn't as much but if we found ourselves back in the championship you would quickly realise how much we are in the spotlight almost daily.

Or is the interest not as much because we don't get the same coverage? (Appreciating interest needs time to grow, but just hypothetically still posing the chicken and egg question). Spread the oxygen around and create more room for other clubs to grow in to the limelight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here