Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Reasonable punishment for the "Legacy Six" ?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There won't be a punishment I don't think.

Though their negotiating position has just been exploded. They won't be able to argue for a larger slice of the pie for a long time

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What rules have they broken?

While I can understand the desire to punish the clubs, without rule breaking any punishment would be appealed and overturned so is pointless.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I listened to Souness say he didn’t support any punishment cos it only hurts the fans and players.

Tell that to Bury, Luton, etc.

3 years CL ban and 20 points deduction next season.

There has to be consequences.

If there is no punishment, they will try something similar in the next 5 years.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
There won't be a punishment I don't think.

Though their negotiating position has just been exploded. They won't be able to argue for a larger slice of the pie for a long time

There HAVE to be sanctions that (a) punish them for taking football to the brink across the whole of Europe in such an underhand and arrogant manner, and (b) discouraging owners from ever attempting a similat coup in the future.

This cannot be brushed under the carpet simply because of the size and status of the clubs involved. This is football's opportunity to restore some equilibrium and cannot be squandered. Time for the football authorities to step up and show some moral courage and leadership.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

While I can understand the desire to punish the clubs, without rule breaking any punishment would be appealed and overturned so is pointless.

There is a breach of the PL bylaws as stated in the press release today. Something to the effect of "you can't join another competition unless there is a vote allowing it". No vote happened and although no ball kicked, the breach was there

Not sure if UEFA have the same/similar rule. Must be one about bringing the game into disrepute though.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Nothing that harms the league position. The fans and players stopped this. Maybe they should be made to study for a degree in English social history and go litter picking on the terraces of lower leagues every weekend for five years. With regard to next year's European qualification, maybe.

Although I'd be okay with fines- to be sent down to the bottom of the pyramid.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I'd quite like to see them kicked out of the CL this season and given enough of a point deduction that they are all out of Europe for next year.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The proposed contract was 177 pages long, this wasn’t something that was dreamed up overnight. They have planned this, and lied about it to everyone.
They signed this contract, they knew exactly what they were doing. Perhaps less of a punishment for City and Chelsea cos they bottled it first, but, there had to be consequences.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Reasonable punishment for the "Legacy Six" ?

I think a European ban or points deduction would be fair.

It can’t be nothing. You have to have a deterrent surely. Not going to lie, I’d love to see them relegated.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There HAVE to be sanctions that (a) punish them for taking football to the brink across the whole of Europe in such an underhand and arrogant manner, and (b) discouraging owners from ever attempting a similat coup in the future.

This cannot be brushed under the carpet simply because of the size and status of the clubs involved. This is football's opportunity to restore some equilibrium and cannot be squandered. Time for the football authorities to step up and show some moral courage and leadership.

I'd like to see Henry and Glazer tarred and feathered.

Just don't see it though.

It smacks a bit of when we had points deducted during the turmoil over the sale of the Goldstone. The punishment hits the fans

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No CL ban. That should be settled on the pitch.

Three year transfer embargo, would help them with their financial troubles as well.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

They've broken a number of rules including their players contracts.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think a Champions League ban for a couple of seasons would be appropriate and universally supported.

It would, but then a punishment is also meant to act as a deterrent, but the majority of focus should not be on how we punish the 6 but how we can get beyond a mere temporary deterrent to legislate or bring in iron clad binding rules that ensure this can NEVER happen again.

Id be far happier if the law was changed than merely a 2 season ban with everything else carrying on as normal....... or else there will be a next time

larus

Nothing that harms the league position. The fans and players stopped this. Maybe they should be made to study for a degree in English social history and go litter picking on the terraces of lower leagues every weekend for five years.

Although I'd be okay with fines- to be sent down to the bottom of the pyramid.

I disagree. The only way to punish them is financially - this is what it is all about - money.

Therefore, items which should be considered are:
Points deduction.
CL omission for min of 2 years.
Ban on signing players.

(I’m not saying all of the above, but they need to be put in their place). I know this will impact the fans, and the fans aren’t at fault, but, compared to what would have happened if this had succeeded it’s reasonable.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The proposed contract was 177 pages long, this wasn’t something that was dreamed up overnight. They have planned this, and lied about it to everyone.
They signed this contract, they knew exactly what they were doing. Perhaps less of a punishment for City and Chelsea cos they bottled it first, but, there had to be consequences.

Souness talked about this tonight on SS- they've been planning this for months and months. They have lied to people and they can't be trusted. Nobody in any of their boardrooms can be trusted. That is hugely problematic.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I would like to see 2 things happen:

1. All 12 teams banned from UEFA competitions for at least one season, and their places be taken by those next highest in the Premier League / La Liga/ Serie A tables.

2. That on those same UEFA nights the 12 will not benefit from the rest and recuperation but be made to play their ESL fixtures behind closed doors with no TV coverage whatsoever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here