Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Robert Sanchez

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He inspires a confidence when watching that I never felt with Ryan, even when he was at his best for us. The guy is different class. I hope he's on a nice big long contract because he is adding millions to his value every game, if we eventually sell

Extended to summer 2025 back in January, with presumably a deserved increase of wedge.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Extended to summer 2025 back in January, with presumably a deserved increase of wedge.

I missed that. Get in, great business by the club. All credit to the recruitment team, the management and Potter for trusting him. Great time to be an Albion fan.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It does make you wonder why he was kept in reserve for so long this season. He should have kept the gloves after the Tottenham game. His level is so high, he has a presence and a calmness which inspires confidence throughout the defence. If Lallana could finish, we'd have had another 1-0 win at a Super League club this season - but it's only possible to nick games 1-0 if your defence is rock solid and your goalkeeper is up to the task.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
So confident he will get over confident at some point and an error will happen.

Its the nature of being a keeper though, and I hope no one jumps all over him for it when it happens.

We still need to buy a keeper in the summer, it will be interesting to see what level we go for..

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
So confident he will get over confident at some point and an error will happen.

Its the nature of being a keeper though, and I hope no one jumps all over him for it when it happens.

We still need to buy a keeper in the summer, it will be interesting to see what level we go for..

He flapped at a corner for the Leicester winner, a majority on here backed him to put it behind him and that he was well in credit with his performances. Since then he’s kept 3 clean sheets in 5 games. He’s certainly not let that mistake bother him and has shown his worth to the team.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
There were a couple of shots (admittedly straight at him) that he just plucked out of the air as if it were nothing.
They barely registered as shots on target at the time.

Cool as.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Love this, if only the real thing........

Attachments

• 8064508F-3294-4E14-AB0D-8B89006BFE30.jpeg
    8064508F-3294-4E14-AB0D-8B89006BFE30.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 259

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
How about the fact that Chelsea, a big 6 team, have a full Spanish international keeper between their sticks.
Except we have the the keeper that has taken over from him.
One thing, can someone please give him a longer shirt, it does look silly.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He's made a huge impact, but I think credit has to go to Dunk, White and Veltman (Webster to a lesser extent as he's been out). He's having fewer saves to make compared to Ryan I feel. Everyone talks about Potter's influence around the fluent style of play, but he has done some amazing things for our defence this season. Losing Lamptey, March and Webster for long periods could have been disastrous, but he has built such a unit that those players slotting in have been near flawless.

All performances are built from the back. Sanchez has been an insane find and hopefully will be our goalkeeper for some time.

For those asking why he didn't get a chance sooner, you only need to look at some of the top goalkeepers in the Premier League this season:

- Dean Henderson is 25 this year and has only just got into his parent club's first team;
- Emiliano Martinez is 28 and until this season had never played more than 15 matches for Arsenal before moving to be a no. 1 at Villa
- Lukasz Fabianski didn't get any first team football of note until he was 28 and left Arsenal for Swansea
- Kasper Schmeichel only started playing top flight football at 24

All very good goalkeepers. There's a real reticence to trust young goalkeepers in the Premier League and Sanchez is still only 23. He'd have been 22 at the start of the season and I think it's only fair for Potter to spend several weeks looking at him in training before throwing him into the lion's den. Being in and around the squad goes a long way to helping Sanchez feel like he belongs in the mix rather than being parachuted straight in from the U-23s. I think it helps players feel like they have earned the right to play for us. Make no mistake, Sanchez ousted Ryan because of what he showed in training.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It does make you wonder why he was kept in reserve for so long this season. He should have kept the gloves after the Tottenham game. His level is so high, he has a presence and a calmness which inspires confidence throughout the defence. If Lallana could finish, we'd have had another 1-0 win at a Super League club this season - but it's only possible to nick games 1-0 if your defence is rock solid and your goalkeeper is up to the task.

Well to be fair it’s easy to say in hindsight. But if someone told us at the start of the season GP should drop Maty Ryan and make our number 1 an u23 keeper who was on loan at Rochdale, well.. we’d ask what they were smoking.

It’s an unbelievable decision. I do agree it was curious why he was dropped after his debut, but apart from the one clanged. Sanchez has been immense and is hopefully our number one for many year. Genuinely won us many points. Have to give huge huge credit to the manager and the coaching staff. I mean, I wanted Ryan out. I felt he wasn’t good enough, but I wouldn’t have started effectively a youth keeper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here