Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Tadpole advice needed

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
For the first time in a few years, the frog spawn in our cottage garden has hatched. The pond is in a shady spot with only green gloop and mosquito larvae in it. I want max frog development. I've scooped some tadpoles out and put them in a bucket in a sunnier spot but any tips on how to boost survival chances please? Ta.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Take out most of the green gloop, put the tadpoles back, add pond weed. Weed creates oxygen, they need that, plus they eat a small amount of green gloop and the weed. When much bigger (May/June) they love tiny bits of meat/bacon occasionally. Make sure the pond is well oxygenated generally.

I like the breadth of your posts today! 😉

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Take out most of the green gloop, put the tadpoles back, add pond weed. Weed creates oxygen, they need that, plus they eat a small amount of green gloop and the weed. When much bigger (May/June) they love tiny bits of meat/bacon occasionally. Make sure the pond is well oxygenated generally.

On a serious note, we had frogspawn in abundance in a small Brook next to our allotment.
But for the last 2 years, there has not been a sign of them or frogs.
Any suggestions ???

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
On a serious note, we had frogspawn in abundance in a small Brook next to our allotment.
But for the last 2 years, there has not been a sign of them or frogs.
Any suggestions ???
I have had frog spawn most years but recently no tadpoles - presumably because they weren't fertilised. I found 4 dead frogs under the ice 2 winters back and was amazed any had survived that and cat predation. But apparently so. There is a nasty frog virus doing the rounds - maybe that's it?

:) All good here thanks. I drove past the Woodman on Saturday night- garden was rammed. Maybe when I'm allowed to stay over at my mum's we could meet for a pint there? Hope you're ok.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Thanks. Any tips on what kind of weed and where to get it? I'm afraid it'll have to be tofu in later stages of development.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
:) All good here thanks. I drove past the Woodman on Saturday night- garden was rammed. Maybe when I'm allowed to stay over at my mum's we could meet for a pint there? Hope you're ok.

That'll be great :thumbsup:
All good here ta, you must've passed our house en route to that bloody Breakspear Rd South, or as its known as the HS2 highway :lol:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Do this as soon as you can, preferably, toady.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Thanks. Any tips on what kind of weed and where to get it? I'm afraid it'll have to be tofu in later stages of development.

"Oxygenating weed" available from any garden centre with an aquatics dept.

And/or google it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The only tadpoles that i have now are in either a tank or a washing bowl all the rest pegged it. Some was definitely not fertilised (white spot) a lot has been taken by the newts. If you take them out of a pond then you need to make sure that the water in the bucket or tank does not get too warm as that drives the oxygen out of the water. Where abouts are you?

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
For the first time in a few years, the frog spawn in our cottage garden has hatched. The pond is in a shady spot with only green gloop and mosquito larvae in it. I want max frog development. I've scooped some tadpoles out and put them in a bucket in a sunnier spot but any tips on how to boost survival chances please? Ta.
Make sure that when the tadpoles turn into little frogs in the bucket that you put a large stone in so they can climb on and breathe above the water.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here